Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cities Race for Amazon's second "head quarters"

Elessar78

Just now, Elessar78 said:

Have I pitched you on my sitcom: Cereal Killers?

Mass murderer who takes his victims all before breakfast?

I'll watch.

I pitched one to a tv exec once:

Message Broads

Girls who post on message boards for attention whoring only.

Are the deals being offered similar to what we here in WI just gave Foxconn? Southeastern WI could desperately use the jobs offered by Foxconn, but that 3B price tag is steep. Cities like Milwaukee are cutting the police force and closing fire houses (not because of Foxconn), and I am not sure the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor can handle the increased traffic flow. Best of luck to who ever lands Amazon, from the outside, looking in, it's a bit scary.

Foxconn is/was insane. But I believe they basically gave them land and said they wouldn't tax them for like 15 years. So in theory they're just not collecting additional taxes rather than giving them cash. So jobs are great. But the state is banking on the impact of those jobs having ancillary effects since they're unlikely to touch a direct cash flow from the deal for I think I read 20 years? 

Amazon will be of that magnitude I'm sure. Or at least close to it. But there's always performance metrics and benchmarks that need to be hit. Either way, the impacts would be tenfold on our local economy as Foxconn is gonna have in Racine or wherever they're going. 

Plus Foxconn is manufacturing which can be dicey in a world where technology is rapidly changing. Amazon is looking for a corporate HQ. So as long as Amazon exists, it'll exist. 

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Don't think about the revenue reported by the company. But think about the taxes that will be collected at a state level on income from the thousands of high income employees, and the real estate taxes collected locally off of the eventual 8 million square feet of office space. Of course there's sales tax collected from the new employees, etc too. So it's not all about reported revenue and how much is passed through whichever jurisdiction it is in. 

And the expenses those employees and facilities require the city to pay out?  Or do we just assume all those people will appear out of the air, pay taxes, and not require roads, schools, police, or fire?  

28 minutes ago, Larry said:

And the expenses those employees and facilities require the city to pay out?  Or do we just assume all those people will appear out of the air, pay taxes, and not require roads, schools, police, or fire?  

You're still talking about revenue over time that can/will cover all of that with plenty to spare. It won't be all in day one. Think it's 50k by 2028 or something. That's what planners are for. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/digger/wp/2017/10/16/for-amazons-next-headquarters-d-c-pitches-four-of-its-trendiest-neighborhoods/?hpid=hp_local-news_amazon-1015am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.e42f1f7c0f8c

For Amazon’s next headquarters, D.C. pitches four of its trendiest neighborhoods

Amazon’s request for proposals required that bidding cities have airports with direct flights to Washington.

But from a real estate perspective, at first blush the District does not appear to fit the bill. Unlike former industrial meccas such as Chicago, Detroit or Baltimore, there are no sprawling, vacant factories or plants to redevelop. Unlike exurban locations, there is nothing like 100 acres available — another Amazon ask — to be offered.

Indeed there is no single available property in the city that could accommodate 8 million square feet without significant zoning changes. Two large federal parcels along the Anacostia River, RFK Stadium and Poplar Point, both come with a catch. RFK is on federal land dedicated for sports and recreation. The District has not prepared Poplar Point for development despite controlling it for a decade.

So Bowser’s economic development team drilled down on four neighborhoods that are already enjoying rapid growth, and assembled bids including a mix of public and private sites in partnership with developers. All four offer access to public transit and neighborhood amenities that make them popular with young, highly educated workers.

Since Amazon wants to begin by occupying 500,000 square feet, each location needs to have an available office building or one on the way to completion.

One proposal incorporates properties on both sides of the Anacostia River. Much of the land is around Nationals Park and the new D.C. United stadium, set to open next year, along with some property across the river in Anacostia. Many of the buildings Amazon would occupy are already being plotted by developers in the southeast and southwest sections of the District.

It doesn't sound like DC has anywhere that is a particularly good fit from a space standpoint.  Of course, the cap on building height is a huge reason for this, but someone remind me why RFK is still standing?  Personally, I think Poplar Point makes a lot of sense, but they would need to make significant infrastructure improvements to connect it to the Navy Yard/Nats Park area.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It doesn't sound like DC has anywhere that is a particularly good fit from a space standpoint.  Of course, the cap on building height is a huge reason for this, but someone remind me why RFK is still standing?  Personally, I think Poplar Point makes a lot of sense, but they would need to make significant infrastructure improvements to connect it to the Navy Yard/Nats Park area.

RFK situation is like this ... owned by the Federal Govt. but is on a 99 year lease with DC as long as it is kept for recreational use ... hence a stadium. But it cannot be developed, aka, why Amazon can't take that land. It's federal land. and it can only be used in its current structure for recreation. Also why, there's probably a good chance Skins end up at RFK site for the new stadium with the current administration.

22 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

RFK situation is like this ... owned by the Federal Govt. but is on a 99 year lease with DC as long as it is kept for recreational use ... hence a stadium. But it cannot be developed, aka, why Amazon can't take that land. It's federal land. and it can only be used in its current structure for recreation. Also why, there's probably a good chance Skins end up at RFK site for the new stadium with the current administration.

Good info.  Does anyone else think that preserving it for the use by an NFL team to use is any more of a recreational use than if any other company put an office there?  The NFL's product may be a game, but it is a business just the same as Amazon.  The guys on the field on Sunday's are not playing, they are working.  If it's for recreation, they should tear down the stadium and make it a public park. 

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/digger/wp/2017/10/16/for-amazons-next-headquarters-d-c-pitches-four-of-its-trendiest-neighborhoods/?hpid=hp_local-news_amazon-1015am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.e42f1f7c0f8c

For Amazon’s next headquarters, D.C. pitches four of its trendiest neighborhoods

DC United still plays there.  I think they are hoping the new stadium will be ready by the time the new season rolls around, but I think ultimately they will split time at RFK and then move to Audi Stadium later in the season.

11 hours ago, zoony said:

I legitimately cannot believe that people want this cluster in their cities.  Why?  You love traffic and trendy zombies that much huh?

Jobs to quote our peerless leader. And if they were here I would want one of them. 

11 hours ago, zoony said:

I legitimately cannot believe that people want this cluster in their cities.  Why?  You love traffic and trendy zombies that much huh?

Having a lot of successful companies in a relatively small area, and the attendant good jobs and civic facilities and services, is like the entire point of a city existing.  People that hate traffic as much as you do are free to stay on your dirt roads.

19 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I REPEAT MY QUESTION.

;)

Soccer hater.  :table2: :ols:

But really, DC United not only was the last DC "professional" team to win a championship, they've one more total championships (4) then all the others except the Redskins (5).

Their new stadium will be great.  Long time coming for that team. 

https://www.theonion.com/jeff-bezos-heart-breaks-a-little-reading-albany-s-amaz-1819819152

This is all gold.

BUT it's funny because it's so true. People are falling over themselves to present how amazing their communities are to Amazon. I laugh when I see proposals from places like Albany and the like. Of course, you really can't blame them for tossing their hat in the rings, but notice that you aren't hearing about any proposals out of areas that you would expect to be in serious consideration. The serious proposals/sites are being kept mum expect for when they've been leaked.

Think Baltimore may have a real shot at this. If Amazon wants to play the "turn a city around" card, Baltimore actually makes a ton of sense from a locational standpoint. And access to both Philly and DC talent markets, plus their own.

Canada would be good. 

Toronto has a large research community, good infrastructure, abundant housing and Canada is extremely work-visa friendly. As a US citizen, I only needed a job offer and got my visa stamped at the border. Easy process.

I know Google is already building a "smart" neighborhood here, which they will use to experiment and develop concepts for smart cities. Not sure if Amazon would want to come into a region where a competitor already has a foothold. 

Bezos is no dummy. I think Canada is out ... the backlash in the U.S. from the Trump fringe may not come to fruition or be all that powerful, but anytime you cut out 25% of your home-base and potential revenue, IDK. I guess it truly depends on how "global" Amazon wants to become. Obviously that's their goal, but going to Toronto would isolate some of the US market after Trump goes out and destroys the company for being "un American"

Archived