Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Hate The Patriots.

TradeTheBeal!

On 12/11/2017 at 6:38 PM, TryTheBeal! said:

Fish shock the world.

Anyone who's followed football wasn't shocked.  The Patriots have lost 4 out of 5 of their last road games against Miami and Brady has a 7-9 record as a starter against Miami in Miami.

8 minutes ago, China said:

Anyone who's followed football wasn't shocked.  The Patriots have lost 4 out of 5 of their last road games against Miami and Brady has a 7-9 record as a starter against Miami in Miami.

Super Bowl 54 in early 2020 will be in Miami. Maybe Brady will win the one there, proclaim that he's exercised his Miami demons, and retire. 

9 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Super Bowl 54 in early 2020 will be in Miami. Maybe Brady will win the one there, proclaim that he's exercised his Miami demons, and retire. 

No, he'll probably lose to the Giants for a third time. 

Sadly, I think the Pats repeat as champs.  They will have home field.  I don't see Pittsburgh or Jacksonville winning there.  Maybe we need the Vikings to make it, so they can win the superbowl at home.  Really, not sure if anyone in the NFC would beat the Pats.

6 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

No, he'll probably lose to the Giants for a third time. 

Sadly, I think the Pats repeat as champs.  They will have home field.  I don't see Pittsburgh or Jacksonville winning there.  Maybe we need the Vikings to make it, so they can win the superbowl at home.  Really, not sure if anyone in the NFC would beat the Pats.

Based on past performance, the Carolina Panthers seem to give the Patriots the hardest time. Cam Newton is 2-0 vs the Pats. They seem to have a real hard time dealing with his ability to improvise and extend plays, more so than anyone else who plays that style of game.

30 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

My God - is that a first? I don't think the 80s 49ers or 90s Cowboys did that. 

Looks like it.  Saw a page which noted the total number of 12+ win seasons for each team since the 1970 merger.  The 49ers have 13 of them, and the Pats are now tied with Dallas with 12.

Pats also now have 15 straight 10+ win seasons. The 49ers had 16 straight 10+ win seasons from 1983-1998.

Finally, Pats currently have 17 straight 9+ win seasons.  The next best team to hit that current mark is Seattle with six straight 9+ win seasons.

Here's a Wiki with a lot of these stats. I think the Pats make it back to the SB and lose to the Vikings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_consecutive_playoff_appearances

• Like 1

This is why, in my heart of hearts, I can't hate the Patriots completely. Oh, I don't love them and God knows individual parts of the "Empire" are loathsome but that consistency over such a long period of time in an era where that's not supposed to be possible anymore. Dynasties like the Steelers and Packers weren't supposed to be a thing anymore yet the Patriots did it and they did it in historic fashion.

Only one other team has gotten "one for the thumb" in the Super Bowl era but it took 25 years between win 4 and 5 to do it. The Patriots got all five in a matter of 15 seasons. What came before that for that franchise? A couple of Super Bowl blowouts?

What other teams in pro sports can even come close to that? I mean, before their Super Bowl with the Rams, who really cared about the Patriots? From what I've read, they were barely on the Boston area sport radar back then and nearly moved out of the Boston area altogether in the early 1990s (apparently, there were talks about the team moving to Hartford, CT of all places).

Edited by thebluefood
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Kind of a cool video of BB visiting Rick Forzano, the HC of the Lions in the mid-70s who hired him to be an assistant coach there.  Belichick was with Joe Bugel on the Lions staff!

http://www.patriots.com/video/2017/12/29/nfl-films-presents-bill-belichick-and-rick-forzano

That was actually a really cool video.  Thanks for sharing!

4 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

Reading it now. 

I've been pondering greatness and its affect lately for various reasons, especially from an organizational and institutional standpoint. It seems like all great things eventually come to an end because of conflicts within. It's almost like we're hardwired to emotionally or psychologically decompose if things get "too big." It doesn't help that "great men" seem to have big egos to begin with. 

I mean, obviously, everything has to come to end but it just seems to always happen the same kind of way.

The other day, I asked of Dan Snyder and the Redskins "why change a good thing?" Despite being a consistently mediocre franchise, they're worth nearly $3 billion. I'm asking the same question now about the Patriots but with a less cynical tinge to it.

"Why change a good thing?" 

Maybe the answer is, at least in part, because it's just inevitable. Maybe nothing is supposed to be so dominant for too long. I mean, why didn't the Steelers draft Dan Marino in '83 and build around him? Why did Vince Lombardi leave the Packers when he could have coached that team for the rest of his life (only to end up in Washington of all places)? Why did Jerry Jones feel the need to say any coach could lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl when he knew better than anyone else that Jimmy Johnson was the architect of that budding dynasty? 

Was it just some vague reports of illegal drug use? Was it just the need for a new challenge? Was it just egos coming to a head - which seems to be happening in New England? 

It just always seems to be an implosion.

For 17 years, the Patriots have withstood everything the NFL and opponents could throw their way, knowing that if they were united, nobody could touch them. Now they're threatening to come undone the only way possible: from within.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2017 at 1:35 PM, DCSaints_fan said:

I hate they get to play a division that has been mostly ass for the last 20 years, with the brief exception when the Jets had that elite defense.  And not a legit franchise QB outside of Tom Brady in that whole division, since Marino retired.  Must be nice when you're pretty much guaranteed to win 6 games a year. 

Yeah, because they don't have to win any other regular season games or beat any teams in the playoffs in order to play in the Super Bowl :rolleyes:

Same story as always. Pats win razor thin game in which they are losing most of the game, refs start calling close plays in their favor, while seeming to ignore similar physical play by the Pats defenders.   Just felt very uneven the way the officials were calling flags on the defense.

• Like 1