Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter: Su'a Cravens Considering Retirement

Conn

8 hours ago, dav87sc said:

Somehow, I don't think Bruce was the final arbiter of whether or not he was still a viable Redskin.  I am sure there were several other voices involved. Bruce was the trigger guy, and did what his role(still shaking my head at that thought) called for in the situation.  We can always second guess about not getting enough compensation, but in the end, this needed to happen and it is done.

This is exactly the benefit of the doubt our front office doesn't deserve.  I'd love to endorse your line of thinking, but there's too many stories to the contrary.  Gruden was quoted at the beginning of the month saying "he didn't expect" Cravens to be moved. 

Maybe you'll argue that's coach speak, but in combination with how A. Smith was acquired, I'm not seeing this functional, collaborative environment where they get together, have lunch, debate and vote.  It might've been nice to have a coach in on those discussions that probably would've absolutely hated the idea of trading Fuller. 

I'm not even sure this whole 'locker room' poisoning argument takes into account that Allen doesn't appear to be soliciting feedback before he makes moves.  

8 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Nicki Jhabvala

@NickiJhabvala

Just talked to Su'a Cravens about his trade to Denver. Story to come, but this is one quote that really stood out: "I wanted to play football where somebody WANTED me. I can tell that Denver actually wanted me on the team. It wasn’t just, ‘This is smart for our team.’"

(Where's that ****ing eye roll emoticon)

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

Possibly my last thought on Su'a Cravens. Someone brought up Williams' and his weed suspension. I agree with that person that Williams was immature and hurt the team. That said, Williams had at least two things going for him that Su'a did not:

I'd say that another, and even bigger difference was that Trent probably thought he wouldn't be caught. He did get caught, and he learned from it. Not EVER did he ever refuse to play football. Having an unquestioned devotion to the sport is what puts Trent far out of Cravens' league. I'd say Fred Davis is a closer comparison to Cravens. Devin Thomas too.

5 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I'd say that another, and even bigger difference was that Trent probably thought he wouldn't be caught. He did get caught, and he learned from it. Not EVER did he ever refuse to play football. Having an unquestioned devotion to the sport is what puts Trent far out of Cravens' league. I'd say Fred Davis is a closer comparison to Cravens. Devin Thomas too.

or if we want to consider a more successful player, Ricky Williams who quit the game to go smoke weed and then came back later to mixed success. As I recall, the Saints eventually booted him too

22 hours ago, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

Blah blah blah... Someone please kill this Non-Redskin-Related thread so this Never-Redskin will Never-Be-Remembered. 

No one paid attention to my pre-draft analysis a few years back, so I’ll copy and paste:

Craven got little weak nipples.  Prefers not to breathe on his own when above sea-level.  Prone to “duck-face” selfies.  Still practices kissing girls on back of his own hand.  Shows stiffness in nipples. Prefers Disney classics over game film.  Not a tap guy, Brita filter must have at least 3 bars. Currently reading this analysis while checking his nipples. 

PROJECTED GRADE: FU

lmfao, he's right @TK, all people are doing is piling on on this guy right now.  Can we at least more it to ATN or something?

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

People can still discuss who "won" the trade :)

Considering we used a second rounder on the guy and got basically a 4th rounder in return (swap doesn't come close to matching that), ya, I don't think I want to talk about that either : )

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Considering we used a second rounder on the guy and got basically a 4th rounder in return (swap doesn't come close to matching that), ya, I don't think I want to talk about that either : )

We threw away a 2nd round pick when we selected him, not when we traded him. When we traded him he was a nutjob with talent that might be worth taking a 5th or 6th round flier on.

5 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If it makes you feel any better, Cravens wasn't the only 2nd Round Pick we lost this offseason.

There's Trent Murphy.

But we get a 5th Rounder for him, too !

Bravo !

This place would have complained more if we'd give him the contract he just got.

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

From the article:

"Cravens, traded to Denver from Washington this week, explained to Mike Klis of 9News.com that the lingering effects of a concussion influenced his actions and decisions during the 2017 season.

“I was going through some personal issues with my family and I didn’t feel like myself,’’ Cravens told Klis...

“The Redskins brought me in, they told me they wanted me to get checked out, make sure I was all right,” Cravens said. “I go to a doctor and he tells me I’m going through something I didn’t even know I was going through. He said this is the reason why you feel this way and you’re in no condition to be making these decisions because of this and I guarantee if you rehab and get yourself better, you won’t be feeling this way.

“Once I got cleared in December, it was like I was a completely different person. Looking back at myself I’m thinking, that’s crazy. I thought I was just messed up but come to find out, I was going through something I wasn’t even aware of.’’

If I were the Broncos I'd be scared ****less that Cravens would get another concussion after reading that. The article also says Cravens said this:

“I did tell my teammates I was going to retire but I never officially retired."

You told your teammates you were going to retire--via group text message, I believe--but you didn't tell the coaches? Is that what he's claiming? Or is he saying that the story going around that he didn't tell his teammates he was retiring is wrong (even though he never did retire)?...either way, it's not a good look for him. That's some terrible spin lol...

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

You told your teammates you were going to retire--via group text message, I believe--but you didn't tell the coaches? Is that what he's claiming? Or is he saying that the story going around that he didn't tell his teammates he was retiring is wrong (even though he never did retire)?...either way, it's not a good look for him. That's some terrible spin lol...

I do agree he got me lost there.

Found another article where former LB Robert Henson commented:

"As far as him being accepted back by his teammates or the organization, everybody except the front office was on the same page about that,” Henson said. “Su’a walked away because of his health, and it was a mistrust between him and the Redskins’ training staff. They told him one thing, it ended up being worse than what was actually told to him, and he decided to walk away just from that standpoint after talking with his family."

"There’s one thing that I will offer, that you guys talked about, about the front office,” said Henson. “Now they don’t know what to do with him. There’s still a mistrust between him and the front office, too. So, it’s kind of a little bit of bad blood, and everybody knows that Bruce, everybody that played knows that Bruce is all about exacting revenge on his terms. You can tell by the Kirk Cousins situation.”

At the time, running back Chris Thompson was asked by The Washington Post about Cravens's situation. “It’s way bigger than football,” Thompson said.

Robert Henson: ‘Mistrust’ Lingers Between Cravens, Redskins Front Office

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

So i heard that su’a’s physical with Denver has been failed. So he’s coming back to the redskins...

From my understanding of this situation, the question with the Denver training staff was whether his Herpes was the cause of his vision issues. Turns out his temporary blindness was not thoroughly evaluated initially. Broncos training staff says they would  have to discard any hot tubs he used in therapy and therefore his cost would exceed his value to the team.

And another:

Safety Su’a Cravens stuns teammates and leaves Redskins scrambling with his plan to retire

Cravens came to Redskins Park on Sunday morning to inform team President Bruce Allen of his decision, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. Allen, however, convinced Cravens to postpone such a decision. The team will place Cravens on the exempt/left team list, which will give him a month to resolve personal issues that played a role in his decision. Cravens and the team then planned to revisit his situation at the conclusion of that month.

[...]But Saturday night, Cravens informed his fellow defensive backs in a group text message that he was retiring, a second person familiar with the situation said.

Cravens, in the group message, praised each of his teammates for their skills and expressed gratitude for them and their role in his life. He said that he had enjoyed playing with them, but was retiring on Sunday and ended the text message with, “Peace out,” and then removed himself from the group chat. 

Members of the group chat were both shocked and angered by Cravens’s decision, players said. Some said Cravens had let them down. The move also occurred the day after officials trimmed the roster to 53 players, so the move — and its timing — potentially cost another player an opportunity to make the team.

There's this one as well:

When second-year safety Su’a Cravens told the Washington Redskins he was retiring two weeks ago, the team was stunned. His teammates were stunned. Fans were apoplectic.

Instead of Washington’s front office reacting angrily, team president Bruce Allen told Cravens not to rush into a decision and gave him a month to figure things out. At the time, the Redskins placed him on the exempt/left squad list, giving them a roster exemption for the first month of the season.

On Monday, things changed when Washington announced it had placed Cravens on the reserve/left squad list, ending his 2017 season before it ever began. And it was absolutely the correct move.

If Cravens was waffling about his future after completing training camp, he wasn’t going to come to a sensible decision in four weeks. So, instead of waiting on him, the Redskins cut it short after two weeks and ended his season. There was no need for the team to be held in limbo by a player who obviously needs some type of help.

it occurs to me that, between waiting to see what Cravens will do and waiting to see what Cousins would do, the Skins FO may have felt paralyzed by players leaving things up in the air and said "**** this." I'm almost positive Gruden did, anyway.

2 hours ago, carex said:

I'm sure the Skins did want him till he walked out

I just think it's more complicated than that.  It's real easy to simplify the narrative to justify the front office's motives, but a few things are apparent:

The guy wasn't even cleared medically until December 7th, 2017 by independent doctors due to post concussion syndrome.  (Meaning he wouldn't have played until week 15, at the Chargers)

1.  The problem with that is that the Redskins never listed him having a head injury in any reports (outside of the concussion in week 4 of the 2016 season).  

2.  He was medically cleared by the team to resume all football activities after a meniscus tear, surgery, and rehab.

3.  After his retirement threat, he, with the team's blessing, visited Dr. Michael Collins of UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program where he was diagnosed.

4.  The weekend of the Rams week 2 game, his agent met with team officials and told the them Cravens planned on reporting that following Tuesday, 9/4 (2 weeks into the 4 week 'grace period' the Redskins so 'kindly granted'). 

5.  That day, without informing Cravens or his agent, the team placed him on the reserve/left squad list, before he could report, ending his season and ensuring that he did not accrue 1 year of service, or receive salary. 

Where ever your opinion may fall on the spectrum of Cravens quitting/having personal problems, and/or lingering effects of a concussion, it just seems to me that after all of this time (15+ years) of us complaining about our FO not being run in a professional manner, we have more of the same.  Everyone hated Cerrato and felt like we needed someone to restore 'order' and 'credibility'.  

I'll bet the FO, coaches and players had to field hundreds of questions this season about the situation due to how it was handled, but again that's not a distraction because the front office did it, right?

I'd like to think that how the team deals with situations similar to Cravens' will be dictated by value as the priority, not vindictiveness, or pettiness.  And I'm having a hard time seeing how the latter two didn't drive the situation as the story is pieced together more.    

Archived