Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

Here is my mock:

33)  Cleveland-Connor Williams (Tackle is a huge need)

34)  NYG-Hernandez (Rebuild the o-line)

35)  Cleveland-Harrison Phillips (Have a feeling Scot would love him)

36)  Indy-Ronald Jones (Fits in with the dome)

37)  Indy-Isiah Oliver (Better fit versus Josh Jackson)

38)  TB-Guice (Have 2 additional 2nd rounders to get help at CB.  Guice won't be there with them)

39)  Bears-Austin Corbett (Best guard left)

40)  Denver-Anthony Miller (WR is a bigger need than RB.  Thomas and Sanders could be gone after this year).

41)  Oakland-Mike Giseki (Gruden loves TEs)

42)  Miami-Dallas Goedert (TE is a huge need)

43)  NE-Mason Rudolph (Backup QB is a need)

44)  Redskins-Chubb

I think we'll get a good player at 44.  I'd only trade up for Guice.  Otherwise stay put and take BPA.

46 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I like the way you're thinking here. 

Let's go down the list. 

1. Browns: Have Hyde and Duke Johnson, but also have two picks. RB would be a luxury, but possible.

2. Giants: No, they took Barkley.

3. Browns again

4. Colts: They need a RB. Marlon Mack, meh. They need OL more, but have double picks. 

5. Colts again

6. Bucs: Need a RB badly

7. Bears: Nope, Howard and Cohen

8. Denver: Probably, Booker is okay and they cut CJA

9. Raiders: Nah. Mediocre all around but they have lots of bodies they owe money to at RB

10. Dolphins: Drake is good, but fragile. Gore is ancient. Possible need

11. Pats: Nope. Tons of bodies, and now Michel

12. Us. 

So...we are screwed unless we trade up, that's a minefield of RB-needy teams even if you assume none of the teams take a luxury pick they don't need. 

Based on media comments made in recent weeks.

Browns -- maybe.  

Colts -- big time interest

Bucs -- big time interest

Denver -- interest

Dolphins maybe

It's not a good set up for RB IMO tomorrow with three guys already off the board

3 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Here is my mock:

33)  Cleveland-Connor Williams (Tackle is a huge need)

34)  NYG-Hernandez (Rebuild the o-line)

35)  Cleveland-Harrison Phillips (Have a feeling Scot would love him)

36)  Indy-Ronald Jones (Fits in with the dome)

37)  Indy-Isiah Oliver (Better fit versus Josh Jackson)

38)  TB-Guice (Have 2 additional 2nd rounders to get help at CB.  Guice won't be there with them)

39)  Bears-Austin Corbett (Best guard left)

40)  Denver-Anthony Miller (WR is a bigger need than RB.  Thomas and Sanders could be gone after this year).

41)  Oakland-Mike Giseki (Gruden loves TEs)

42)  Miami-Dallas Goedert (TE is a huge need)

43)  NE-Mason Rudolph (Backup QB is a need)

44)  Redskins-Chubb

I think we'll get a good player at 44.  I'd only trade up for Guice.  Otherwise stay put and take BPA.

Too bad looks like Giants will get a steal in this scenario (but agree that is who they'd take).

Guice and Chubb still being available makes the Giants look worse for taking a RB at 2, even though he's a higher tier talent. Gettleman is a dinosaur. Good luck with your 37 year old QB who hasn't looked top 10 in nearly half a decade

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Guice and Chubb still being available makes the Giants look worse for taking a RB at 2, even though he's a higher tier talent. Gettleman is a dinosaur. Good luck with your 37 year old QB who hasn't looked top 10 in nearly half a decade

I feel a little bit like we made the same mistake. Rosen fell to 10, just 3 picks before us. We have a 34yo QB. Who knows the next time we get close enough to sniff a QB of that caliber. We could have signed Hankins and moved up 3 spots for Rosen, and we would be infinitely better set up for the future. I like Payne OK. I'm reserving judgement until I see on the field results. I had some reservations about James and Edmunds. I guess we found out that the FO preferred Payne over those two as well. 

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I feel a little bit like we made the same mistake. Rosen fell to 10, just 3 picks before us. We have a 34yo QB. Who knows the next time we get close enough to sniff a QB of that caliber. We could have signed Hankins and moved up 3 spots for Rosen, and we would be infinitely better set up for the future. I like Payne OK. I'm reserving judgement until I see on the field results. I had some reservations about James and Edmunds. I guess we found out that the FO preferred Payne over those two as well. 

There was much crying in this very thread that we got so close to Rosen and had him snatched away, including from me. So I feel you

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

He was taken at 17. Not exactly a free fall. ANn one of the 3 that went in front of him was Edmunds. So even if you don;t like James as much - take Edmunds. 

I hope Payne works out as I am Redskins fan first. But I just do not see this as the best use of the #13 pick in the draft when you really need blue chip players that can play 3 downs - especially on D. 

What makes you think he's not a 3-down player? He has three-tech traits. No need at all for him to come off the field on 3rd/ passing downs. Move him around the line. 

With Edmunds, for me, you're drafting for what you hope he'll be down the road. Still a lot of room for improvement there. He won't help you as much his rookie year as Payne. So value wise, I think that would have been a lot worse at 13. At least with Payne you've an immediate, impact upgrade. As much as the traits on Edmunds are enticing as soon as he figures out how to utilise them. 

Hail. 

In a 3-4, our depth chart should definitely be Ioannidis and Allen at end, and Payne at nose. I wonder how this pans out when we are in nickel and essentially running a 4-3. I would think they would have Kerrigan and Preston Smith at end and Ioannidis and Allen at DT, and then will rotate in everyone else?

25 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I dont know he looks ap special, thats as transcending as a qb, especially if you didnt really like any of them. which according to cossell they all have issues and need systems/good mgmt.

So, I think my biggest fear now is Guice, Chubb and Jones are gone, as are Hernandez, Landry, Josh Jackson, and a couple other interior olinemen.  

My other fear is that we (again?) pass on a good player for need.  Passing on someone like Landry, Phillips, Miller, Goedert, Kirk, etc. and winding up with, say Walton (although I am intrigued by him), Brayden Smith, or Freeman.  

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

So, I think my biggest fear now is Guice, Chubb and Jones are gone, as are Hernandez, Landry, Josh Jackson, and a couple other interior olinemen.  

My other fear is that we (again?) pass on a good player for need.  Passing on someone like Landry, Phillips, Miller, Goedert, Kirk, etc. and winding up with, say Walton (although I am intrigued by him), Brayden Smith, or Freeman.  

The team has been relatively transparent with who they like. They said they wanted to improve the run defense and the running game and they've brought in a bunch of DT, OG, and RB prospects. Then they draft the DT that everyone says they favored. 

They have also been frugal however and seem to have planned around the cap. If they are planning around the cap, Josh Jackson would seemingly be a natural replacement for Josh Norman, and Harold Landry could potentially replace Preston Smith. Both could have a year to develop and then step into a starting role. I wouldn't be stunned to see either of these guys chosen in the second.

1 hour ago, VaK9Trainer said:

And Scot McCloughan is sitting in Cleveland licking his chops at how he can get the last laugh by sticking it to us. I'm sure IF they even entertained a trade with us, they would want much more than you are offering.  

If the Browns are letting a consultant determine who they are going to trade with then they are more ****ed than ever...you can't possibly believe the crap your spewing..can you?

16 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

I dont know he looks ap special, thats as transcending as a qb, especially if you didnt really like any of them. which according to cossell they all have issues and need systems/good mgmt.

If "AP special" was as transcendant as a QB, you'd think the actual AP might have made it to the post season more often outside the one year he played with a QB in Favre who was still good enough to take the team over the top in a way that a transcendant RB couldn't. Which is my whole point. AP played in 5 playoff games his entire career. That includes the year he made it to the NFCCG with Favre. 5 playoff games. 

On the other hand I think Barkley is more along the lines of Bell/DJ in that he contributes in the passing game, unlike Peterson, so he may end up more valuable. But still not as valuable as a real franchise QB.

Potential franchise QB + 2nd round RB > Replacement level QB + Barkley imo

11 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

If "AP special" was as transcendant as a QB, you'd think the actual AP might have made it to the post season more often outside the one year he played with a QB in Favre who was still good enough to take the team over the top in a way that a transcendant RB couldn't. Which is my whole point. AP played in 5 playoff games his entire career. That includes the year he made it to the NFCCG with Favre. 5 playoff games. 

On the other hand I think Barkley is more along the lines of Bell/DJ in that he contributes in the passing game, unlike Peterson, so he may end up more valuable. But still not as valuable as a real franchise QB.

Potential franchise QB + 2nd round RB > Replacement level QB + Barkley imo

No doubut, but if you dont think there is one in this class, which is very debatable, then they got a fantanstic player who will take a lot of pressure of eli.... and can transform your team, like bell...

I mean the browns just dropped the ball, thats insane at #1

5 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

No doubut, but if you dont think there is one in this class, which is very debatable, then they got a fantanstic player who will take a lot of pressure of eli.... and can transform your team, like bell...

I mean the browns just dropped the ball, thats insane at #1

Regardless of what anyone feels on Baker, if they wanted a QB it had to be at 1. You want a QB. He's your guy. You can't just flip to another if he's taken or else you weren't set on your guy to begin with. And certainly not in thos QB class with such a statistically different range. 

Hail. 

1 minute ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Regardless of what anyone feels on Baker, if they wanted a QB it had to be at 1. You want a QB. He's your guy. You can't just flip to another if he's taken or else you weren't set on your guy to begin with. And certainly not in thos QB class with such a statistically different range. 

Hail. 

I just find it hard to believe Mayfield was #1, the tape says Darnold by most experts, and just watching...

1 minute ago, dcdiscokid said:

I just find it hard to believe Mayfield was #1, the tape says Darnold by most experts, and just watching...

Depends what you want out of what you hope will be your franchise guy though, doesn't it?

They've all got their flaws. Darnold was a turnover machine with fumbling/ ball security issues. Rosen has an ego that's off the charts with massive question marks over whether he'll tone it down and take to pro-coaching. Being as he thinks he's smarter than anyone else. Allen is so underdeveloped it's untrue. Pity the poor Bills fans. Mayfield needs work on his mechanics under centre. There's nothing prototypical about him but he gets the job done. Jackson may well ultimately be the best out of the entire class but that's down the line potential. I don't think there's really a consensus overall top QB but I'd agree on Darnold being the top guy.

I would say Baker is the top Snr QB and the most natural passer in the entire class. But the main thing for me is attitude. He'll believe already he's the best player on the Browns roster and can put the team on his back and win games from Day 1. A real leader that locker room has been missing for decades. 

All depends on what you want in your guy. 

Hail. 

I hope espn980 is able to track down if we had offers. Did Saints offer the same deal to us as the Packers? 

I feel like trading down would be better. If I look at the draft I don't see Payne beeing drafted before 20s. 

I'm not mad, Payne is fine but trading down...Would have got us a similar type of talent. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if we went defense again with the 2nd. If Hernandez is gone we either go defense again (LB or DB) or trade down to the latter half of the 2nd and pick up a 3rd. ILB is a need I hope they address between now and tomorrow. Not sold on Mason Foster.

Players of interest that we would want at positions of need

RBs:

1)  Guice

2)  Jones

3)  Chubb

Interior o-line:

1)  Daniels

2)  Hernandez

3)  Corbitt

4)  Connor Williams (some say he's a guard in the NFL)

CB:

1)  Josh Jackson

2)  Oliver

3)  Dante Jackson

4)  Carlton Davis

S:

1)  Ronnie Harrison

2)  Jessie Bates

3)  Justin Reid

5 hours ago, VaK9Trainer said:

And Scot McCloughan is sitting in Cleveland licking his chops at how he can get the last laugh by sticking it to us. I'm sure IF they even entertained a trade with us, they would want much more than you are offering.  

boy fans on this board love to assume every one in the NFL wants to stick it to us

Archived