Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

11 minutes ago, carex said:

so, there's twelve picks ahead of our tomorrow.  Two doubles, with the Browns and Colts having two picks and the Giants picked an RB so that's three picks that won't be going RB

I like the way you're thinking here. 

Let's go down the list. 

1. Browns: Have Hyde and Duke Johnson, but also have two picks. RB would be a luxury, but possible.

2. Giants: No, they took Barkley.

3. Browns again

4. Colts: They need a RB. Marlon Mack, meh. They need OL more, but have double picks. 

5. Colts again

6. Bucs: Need a RB badly

7. Bears: Nope, Howard and Cohen

8. Denver: Probably, Booker is okay and they cut CJA

9. Raiders: Nah. Mediocre all around but they have lots of bodies they owe money to at RB

10. Dolphins: Drake is good, but fragile. Gore is ancient. Possible need

11. Pats: Nope. Tons of bodies, and now Michel

12. Us. 

So...we are screwed unless we trade up, that's a minefield of RB-needy teams even if you assume none of the teams take a luxury pick they don't need. 

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I’m on the phone with Cleveland offering them our 4th and a 3rd next year to swap 33 and 44 and getting Guice at 33. 

Get your NT and RB and get a guard / CB / S in the 5/6 round

Payne to me is "meh" at 13. Don't love it, don't hate it.  Hate it a little more after hearing Jay imply just now they could have traded down.   But trading up for Guice would turn things around for me.   The other guy for me is Hernandez.  

I got doubts Chubb, R. Jones, Guice will be there at 44.  3 RBs went in the first -- that's more than expected and that's before the supposed early 2nd round run on the position. 

57 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Reading that Payne has real pad level issues he needs to work on...anyone have insight on that? 

He's a two gapper.  And one of the cleanest technicians in the class.  I wonder if people aren't confusing him two-gapping with playing high?  He's got a naturally squatty build and he's flexible, with a ****ing huge trunk that lets him sit down in his stance all day.

If I were going to nitpick technique, I'd focus on his pass rushing.  His run defense is a premium talent.

Payne, along with Minkah and Rashaan Evans, are a few of the only truly interesting players in this class to me.  Interesting because they represent something new.  It's bizarrely easy to overlook the innovative way that Alabama plays defense.  None of their three first round pick defenders are traditional prototypes at their positions.  Hell, most people weren't even sure what position Minkah Fitzpatrick played.  Payne is a legit athlete at the 0/1 technique position.  I don't remember having ever seen a two-gapping nose that's as athletic as him.  I don't remember having seen a two-gapping nose that got schemed against like he did, nor one who drew so many doubles.  Teams usually slide protections to the three techs and rush ends/lbers when they're going up against future first round picks.  Alabama is trotting out the kid who was the #1 prospect in his recruiting class in DaShawn Hand and the year before that, a first round talent in Jonathan Allen and teams left them single-blocked to double Payne.  It's because he was their best run defender and you have to scheme for him.  And he had a knack for generating interior pressure against a single block.

Payne is a new kind of every down nose tackle.  I'm excited to see if we can use him to the same effect that Bama did.  I think we've finally got the creativity and talent run an innovative and dominant defense like Bama did at the collegiate level, although not having Sua any more sucks.

Here's a prediction for round 2 without trades:

Browns, Connor Williams

Giants, Will Hernandez

Browns, Maurice Hurst

Colts, Derrius Guice

Colts, Harold Landry

Bucs, Nick Chubb

Bears, James Daniels

Broncos, Brian O'Neill

Raiders, Josh Jackson

Dolphins, Harrison Phillips

Pats, Arden Key

Skins, Ronald Jones

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Not sure Key goes that high. Rest I could see though. 

And I feel like someone is going to make the mistake of taking or trading up and taking Mason Rudolph before we pick. Which is good for us. 

I saw a media report suggesting Denver.

damn watching welcome to nfl rookie, and we are ****ed, saquan is a absolute beast, guess payene was a good pick, this dude gonna kill everyone... ****ing giants...

lol he hit best press by 10 reps

had highest vert of anyone there

ran a 4.43

caught everypass he was thrown

and ran clean routes

damn wish we could have been in position for him, hes AP special

4 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

damn watching welcome to nfl rookie, and we are ****ed, saquan is a absolute beast, guess payene was a good pick, this dude gonna kill everyone... ****ing giants...

lol he hit best press by 10 reps

had highest vert of anyone there

ran a 4.43

caught everypass he was thrown

and ran clean routes

damn wish we could have been in position for him, hes AP special

The Browns are idiots for not taking him!

33 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I’m on the phone with Cleveland offering them our 4th and a 3rd next year to swap 33 and 44 and getting Guice at 33. 

Get your NT and RB and get a guard / CB / S in the 5/6 round

And Scot McCloughan is sitting in Cleveland licking his chops at how he can get the last laugh by sticking it to us. I'm sure IF they even entertained a trade with us, they would want much more than you are offering.  

Archived