Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

@clskinsfan I’m not sure how it will shake out and would be thrilled picking minka or james. I was just saying that if it ends up being VV id be stoked as well. I’m not too stressed about the taking plays off thing. Very few lineman, especially DTs play every snap. If Tomsula is a believer, I’m a believer. 

I just see so many on here already writing the kid off before playing 1 down for the Skins, dont think it’s fair. Give the kid a chance. Same with Payne.

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

He ranked 2nd out of all DTs in Sacks+Hits+Hurries...I mean, what more do you want out of a NT?

Though I too hope we take Fitz, James, or Ward over Vea if one is there, because @mistertim has convinced me that he has some definite red flags that probably won't allow him to reach his ceiling.  I'd still take him over Payne though.

Sounds like we basically agree. I would take either of the DB's over him. But I have a feeling they will all be gone. Leaving us with a choice of Payne or Vea. In that case I am taking Vea over a RB for sure. There has been some talk today about New Orleans wanting to move up from 27 into the early teens for a QB if he is there. I bet we are the ones talking about it and adding another second rounder at least. In this draft I would be fine with that as well. You can take your RB at 27 and add a DL/Guard in the second. Either way. I am fired up to watch this draft.

My perfect scenario would be one of Smith, James or Fitzpatrick at 13. If not try trading down to early 20's for an extra 3rd, maybe another 2nd. Then we have options to go DT, RB, OL or CB in both the 1st and 2nd with the potential to trade up into the back end of the 1st to try get a jump on the run on RB's.

Just now, bh32 said:

It has to be Vea or Payne..They need a impact player this year..Not a single one of the DB's would see the field much this year

That's nonsense. Considering how much we play nickel and there being no guarantee if M. Nicholson stays healthy.

I will add to the chorus calling for Vea or Payne. I am in Payne'so camp.. I like the instant rapport he would have with allen, aND I also believe in drafting from winning programs. Doesn't get much more pro-ready than Bama.

~Bang

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I just assumed you two were together right now drinking for the draft lol

Not very likely, I’m in Barcelona on vacation, it’s midnight, and I’m in our hotel room since we have a 4 year old. 

So unless Otis is my wife (and I doubt that, she’s a saints fan and wouldn’t be posting on ES) or my 4 year old, I’m gonna go with I still have no idea how he would know if I was in agreement...

I don’t post much about the draft.  Now, if he said I was in agreement that Jay is a nincompoop, well, my posting history would back that up...

So I really don’t know where that came from. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Agreed . James is a starter day one for sure. Minkah isnt far behind him.

Starter over who? i guarantee you that James or Fitzpatrick would not beat out any staring DB this year..

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Not very likely, I’m in Barcelona on vacation, it’s midnight, and I’m in our hotel room since we have a 4 year old. 

So unless Otis is my wife (and I doubt that, she’s a saints fan and wouldn’t be posting on ES) or my 4 year old, I’m gonna go with I still have no idea how he would know if I was in agreement...

I don’t post much about the draft.  Now, if he said I was in agreement that Jay is a nincompoop, well, my posting history would back that up...

So I really don’t know where that came from. 

To clear this up, I'm pretty sure he was saying that the guy whose quote he was replying to was being a "voice of reason" lol.  He just didn't use punctuation well enough to make it obvious.

6 minutes ago, Cypress said:

My perfect scenario would be one of Smith, James or Fitzpatrick at 13. If not try trading down to early 20's for an extra 3rd, maybe another 2nd. Then we have options to go DT, RB, OL or CB in both the 1st and 2nd with the potential to trade up into the back end of the 1st to try get a jump on the run on RB's.

Good scenario but far from perfect perfect scenario is Barkley and Nelson both there at 13 we trade down to 15 for picks they are still there at 15 we take Barkley  some how Nelson falls even further and we move up and get him too (And somehow still come out ahead on picks from the earlier trade).  Now that would be perfect. 

11 minutes ago, bh32 said:

It has to be Vea or Payne..They need a impact player this year..Not a single one of the DB's would see the field much this year

OK do they really need an impact player this year? Try my option 2 on for size how about we just completely trade out for future 1st and 2d round picks?  That really wouldn't upset me much. 

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

We may have a stud in Nicholson already, and that makes for a nice safety pair, so I'm not too fond of spending an overall #13 on a safety.

The problem is that our defense looked completely different last year without Nicholson in the line-up.  Having the luxury of not being forced to rely on Deshazor Everett to fill a safety spot is a huge advantage if Montae gets injured again.  Plus, if Minkah is the pick, he'd be able to play a Nickel role for us if Montae stays healthy, replacing Fuller's production.

Just now, nonniey said:

OK do they really need an impact player this year? Try my option 2 on for size how about we just completely trade out for future 1st and 2d round picks?  That really wouldn't upset me much. 

That's great if you don't mind loosing a bunch of games and having a new coaching staff,because that is exactly what would happen..

Just now, clskinsfan said:

LOL. OK. If you think Nicholson is better than either one of them you are mistaken. 

Yeah and plus, Swearinger is a solid starter but he has 2 years left and has an easy out after this year. Love DJ but just saying, not like we have what the jets have with 2 studs going into their 2nd year there 

22 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Vea or Payne next to a healthy Jon Allen is a recipe for happiness IMO. Maybe we can hit gold with someone better. But if that’s our “worst case” tonight, I’ll be happy 

Payne in particular looks slam dunk will be there at 13.  Vea I am not so sure.   I wished I shared the enthusiasm for Payne, though don't hate him as a player.  He'd be an upgrade.  My fear about him is he ends up a B kind of guy and I was there on that point before Cooley made the same point about him being a B level player.  My love affair with Payne was back during the college season in concept but with each weak its gotten weaker and weaker. I wish I can make it stop. :(

If we are going nose, Vea to me has that look and pedigree of that monster shut down nose type in the mold of Damon Harrison, Wilfork, etc.  I am not per se that mega sold on Vea but I'd  take him in a sec over Payne.  I am trying to get myself into Payne, having a hard time, (was hoping Saban's interview just now would do it but instead it just pumped my enthusiasm more for Fitzpatrick) but I got another 3 hours to get myself in a frenzy for Payne -- just in case that's who they pick.  :ols:

Archived