Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

9 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Well, the scenario he was responding to was to move up in the 1st (for Fitzpatrick), and then drafting O with our 2nd and 4th rounders... so what are we trading away to move up?  My guess is that our 2nd rounder is fairly close (or the closest we have) to the draft value.  

I’ve seen teams (at least i think) just straight up swap 1st round picks, without giving up a 2nd rounder as well. Say Fitzpatrick is there at the 10th overall, and the team that has that pick doesn’t need a DB. We trade up 3 spots. We get 10th overall, that team gets 13th overall. 

Thank you for the work every one puts in here.. especially a big thanks to skinsinparadise!!!..

This is an exciting time of the year..to me it's all down hill from here to week one..I can't wait to see what the skins do in the draft..I'm getting pumped..my heart is all the way with ya skins..win lose or tie Redskins fan till the day I die..HTTR!!!

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’ve seen teams (at least i think) just straight up swap 1st round picks, without giving up a 2nd rounder as well. Say Fitzpatrick is there at the 10th overall, and the team that has that pick doesn’t need a DB. We trade up 3 spots. We get 10th overall, that team gets 13th overall. 

This almost sounds right but almost seems like there's always a little extra for that team that was at the 10 spot...like maybe they can have our fourth round pick next year?

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He says the FO knows they are in a win or else mode this year (implication is jobs are on the line) but they are also confident that they have a really good roster.  So Keim wasn't sure how they approach the draft.  In one sense, he thinks they might be willing to trade 2019 picks to help the 2018 roster -- but in another sense they are primary satisfied with the roster so maybe they don't. 

Dan should forbid them from trading 2019 picks.

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Dan should forbid them from trading 2019 picks.

Trading 2019 picks would be an Ernie Grunfeld move... Actually, an Ernie Grunfeld move would be trading this year's 1st and next year's for an aging mediocre player.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we could swap one of next year's 3rds to move up a few spots for Fitz, I'd do it. Possibly to move back up in second/late first for Payne if he slides. 

If they're about to get fired (I would have fired Bruce months ago), then I don't really want them emptying out the cupboard for the next regime.

Also not sure I want them making a QB selection if they're a year away from getting fired.

Having a lame duck front office and coaching staff is a recipe for disaster.

29 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would any team picking at number 10 swap to number 13? What would their incentive to do that be? I've never seen a trade that just involved swapping picks in the same round with no other picks, and no players being part of the deal. I just don't understand why you think that would happen? I'm happy to be proven wrong but I'd be fairly confident in saying it has never happened, just from a logic point of view. 

The Rams didn't need a QB when we traded up for RG3, maybe someone should have told the FO we didn't need to add any additional picks in the deal, the Rams would just straight up swap 2 for 6 out of kindness? It just doesn't make sense. Unless I'm missing something critical here.

26 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I have no idea if that’s a thing that has happened in the past, but that seems just completely moronic to me.  

Now, with that said, prior to the rookie wage scale, maybe there was some financial sense to it?  The value according to draft chart is equivalent to pick 88 (3rd round).  It’s really hard for me to envision a team saying, “no, we don’t want compensation, we just really want to pick a bit later”.  

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Trading an extra third from next year isn’t emptying the cupboard. Not if you’re getting a great player. 

How high does everyone here think Hurst is going to go?

The cupboard won’t be empty if they trade away a pick or more, but it is the first step in the process of emptying it.  

It’s a fine line the FO is walking.  The future could easily lose out to short term goals.  

If a new GM is picked up next year, I’d rather they have the extra picks.  

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If they're about to get fired (I would have fired Bruce months ago), then I don't really want them emptying out the cupboard for the next regime.

Also not sure I want them making a QB selection if they're a year away from getting fired.

Having a lame duck front office and coaching staff is a recipe for disaster.

If Laurelleta or one of these guys slide into the deep back half, is the only way I take a QB. I was saying to move up specifically for those players in those slots. 

I'm not buying the win now thing personally. Unless we completely tank this season, I think next year is the one. 

8 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I predict people will be complaining about the Redskins draft, like they always do. :rofl89:

Well considering this team has been bottom five in drafting since around 1986 or 1987, it's more than justified (even with the recent upturn). 

The one thing I'll complain about in the here and now, actually I guess it's too things:

#1: There's no point in fixating all your attention on the one player we must draft. If there's one thing I've learned after watching 31 drafts it's that they rarely ever draft exactly who you want, especially if you're not picking in the top 5 or so, when it least it narrows the options. It's much better to develop like a core ranking at each position in terms of acceptable players, and with say a certain tier or two for your first rounder. 

Hence, my acceptable tier for our first pick if we don't trade out:

QB's: 

1. Baker Mayfield

2. Josh Rosen

3. Sam Darnold

Non-QB's:

1.Barkley

2.Chubb (haven't done the work though so relying on word of mouth)

3. Derwin James

4.Tremaine Edmunds

5. Minkah Fitzpatrick

6.Roquan Smith

7.Quentin Nelson

8.Harold Landry

9. Denzel Ward

That's what's acceptable to me at 13 if we don't trade down.

#1: I don't really get the 7 round pretend mocks. Seems like a lot of work for not much reason.But maybe that's just me.

58 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

This Brugler guy sounds like an idiot. One of those guys is falling.

He's not an idiot, but my understanding has always been that he's the CBS ranker, never thought of him as a reporter, beat guy, how would he know for sure whose going where? Maybe I'm wrong though. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He says the FO knows they are in a win or else mode this year (implication is jobs are on the line) but they are also confident that they have a really good roster.  So Keim wasn't sure how they approach the draft.  In one sense, he thinks they might be willing to trade 2019 picks to help the 2018 roster -- but in another sense they are primary satisfied with the roster so maybe they don't. 

As we in theory have an extra third next year, I could see us trading our 2019 second OR packaging our extra 3rd and a 4th/5th from 2019 to trade back into the first this year. Need to jump the Browns at the top of the second is my guess.

24 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

The cupboard won’t be empty if they trade away a pick or more, but it is the first step in the process of emptying it.  

It’s a fine line the FO is walking.  The future could easily lose out to short term goals.  

If a new GM is picked up next year, I’d rather they have the extra picks.  

Especially since next year's draft is loaded at positional needs like WR and they're delusional in terms of expectations for '18. No playoffs, 

My perception on our schedule:

Sure wins: 0

Toss Ups: 8(@ Ariz, Vs Indy (if Luck is back), Vs Caro, Vs Dallas, @TB, Vs NYG, @ Tenn, Vs Philly (week 17 game, maybe they rest guys)  

Loss: 8 (Vs GB, @ NO, @NYG, Vs ATL, Vs Hou, @Dall, @ Philly @ Jack)

I think it's pretty god awful to ignore Parcell's edict (as much as I kinda disagree), that you are your record. Everyone has injuries, injuries just fluctuate year to year w/volatility being the standard, and then the caliber of the medical personel and best practices impacting it a bit. I do not dealt the 2017 season was significantly impacted by the losses of key players to injuries, but so was letting Garcon/Jackson walk w/o replacements ready to contribute, so was the usual overrating of one's own personel. 

Outside of the 4 QB's, there are 7 elite talents in this draft and we need to take any one who drops to us should they fall. I'd rank them in this order for us:

Barkley

B. Chubb

Nelson

James

Ward

Fitzpatrick (Lower than some due to just 13 snaps at outside corner. Should you draft a slot corner this high? I say yes if he's as good as Fitzpatrick)

Smith (Last only due to the fact that he is very similar to Brown's skillset. Not the best fit but he is elite)

If they are gone, I'd prefer to trade back and draft Vea however, my favorite underrated prospects in the draft are Hurst, Landry, and Josh Jackson. For those of you unfamiliar with Jackson, here is a snippet from PFF:

Iowa’s Jackson broke out with a huge season in 2017, not just leading all corners in overall PFF grade in 2017, but he had the highest grade we have seen from any of the corners in this class across their entire college careers. He allowed an NFL passer rating of just 36.5 when targeted on 91 passes, a lower mark than if the quarterback had just thrown the ball at the dirt every play instead. He is also extremely young at the position, having only moved to corner in 2015, so his potential is sky high.

5 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

What’s the record for most QBs taken in round 1 of any draft? I feel like this could top that by 1 or 2

apparently 6, in 1983. I think 5 will be selected tonight. Still pretty decent. 

Can you imagine what would have been had the Phins not selected Dan Marino with the 2nd-to-last pick in the 1st round of the 1983 draft?  "With the last selection in the first round of the 1983 NFL draft, the Washington Redskins select Dan Marino, quarterback, Pittsburgh."  Marino, behind the Hogs, with a top-5-10 running game, and a few years later, the Posse, would go down as the GOAT GOAT.  Of course, then we trade back up into the early 2nd to take Darrell.  :->

48 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Especially since next year's draft is loaded at positional needs like WR and they're delusional in terms of expectations for '18. No playoffs, 

My perception on our schedule:

Sure wins: 0

Toss Ups: 8(@ Ariz, Vs Indy (if Luck is back), Vs Caro, Vs Dallas, @TB, Vs NYG, @ Tenn, Vs Philly (week 17 game, maybe they rest guys)  

Loss: 8 (Vs GB, @ NO, @NYG, Vs ATL, Vs Hou, @Dall, @ Philly @ Jack)

I think it's pretty god awful to ignore Parcell's edict (as much as I kinda disagree), that you are your record. Everyone has injuries, injuries just fluctuate year to year w/volatility being the standard, and then the caliber of the medical personel and best practices impacting it a bit. I do not dealt the 2017 season was significantly impacted by the losses of key players to injuries, but so was letting Garcon/Jackson walk w/o replacements ready to contribute, so was the usual overrating of one's own personel. 

This is a perfect example of me literally beginning to question my own sanity. I must not have watched the same team last year.

@The Consigliere

Injuries should be put in context, right?  So losing Norman and Breeland wouldn’t be an excuse for dropping a game because we had decent depth.  Ditto losing Trent.  Sure, you expect some dropoff, but Nsheke was a solid depth player.  Same with Davis for Reed, Spaight for Foster, Kouandijo for Lauvao, etc.  Obviously you can blame the FO for the lack of (quality) depth in certain areas, just as we should praise them for the areas of quality depth.  

What was somewhat unique about our injuries last year (likely did lead to losses), was that we didn’t have reasonable depth behind Allen/Ioannidas and Nicholson, and we lost both starters and depth at oline and ILB.  Once you get into that territory, I find myself far more apt to excuse losses.  

I think at the beginning of last year, we overrated certain players - Pryor, Perine, the Macs) - but we also (understandably) underrated guys, like Fuller, Ioannidas, Nicholson, Foster, and maybe Brown and Roullier.  

I do worry that the FO is now overrating the team.  There’s a legitimate chance we’ve taken a step back at corner and OLB, and we aren’t sure what we’re going to have at QB, RB, dline, wr, FS, LG/C, TE.  There are just too many question marks to truly judge those spots as of now, IMO.  

OTOH, I think it’s fair to expect more out of the defense and run game this year as guys get healthy.  If we get a similar type of injury bug this year though...it could all go downhill in a hurry.  

Archived