Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

I love Hines, too but he's too small to be a featured back.

#Eagles Amongst teams very interested one of my favorites NC State's Nyheim Hines of N.C. State. Undersized offensive weapon. Eagles were VERY interested Tarik Cohen last Yr. After Bears took him Rd4, Philly got Donnel Pumphrey 13 picks later. Hines getting Tarik comps...

5 replies9 retweets19 likes

Just now, Warhead36 said:

If Calvin Ridley is there at 13 and all the top notch D prospects are taken, do you consider it? Ridley/Doctson/Richardson/Crowder is a hell of a young WR corps to build around.

Judging by mocks, almost a sure thing Ridley is there at 13.  I wouldn't hate it, wouldn't love it.   He will be 24 during the season -- old for a rookie.  But he seems more polished and NFL ready than the typical WR. 

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If Calvin Ridley is there at 13 and all the top notch D prospects are taken, do you consider it? Ridley/Doctson/Richardson/Crowder is a hell of a young WR corps to build around.

I don’t.  Not because I think we’re set at receiver, but I’d rather Landry, maybe one of the DTs, Guice or a trade back. 

I wouldn’t be mad either, but I wouldn’t like it.  Now, to be fair, if we had Hankins and Galette in the fold, Richardson is very good insurance for if we lose Crowder next year, as well as upping our depth this year.  If that were the case, I’d be fine with it.  

If we’re looking to win now, I’m not sure how much help he gives us, how much of impact he has (versus the others I mentioned).  

I'd love this.  I think the key is a 5th QB jumps into the top 12 -- L. Jackson.  I am not counting on Fitzpatrick.  But it feels like one of the secondary guys:  D. James, D. Ward, M. Fitzpatrick might drop to 13.

If they sign Hankins.  It would be interesting.  Do you take an unexpected faller to 13 which my guess today is one of those 3 guys or trade down if you can?   Personally, I'd take Fitztpatrick.  Maybe James, too.  And trade down if its Ward.  Though I like all three players.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php

• redskinsb_logo.gif Washington Redskins: Minkah Fitzpatrick, S/CB, Alabama Alabama_logo.gif 
    I've had the Redskins taking Da'Ron Payne for a while, and I still believe he's a very likely selection. However, that would change if Minkah Fitzpatrick falls to them. Fitzpatrick is a stud defensive back, and it would be difficult for Washington to pass on him. 

And yes, it's possible for Fitzpatrick to fall to No. 13. Teams will trade up for quarterbacks, and we've seen the safety market move very slowly in free agency. Plus, as Charlie Campbell reported in the NFL Hot Press, some teams have Derwin James rated above Fitzpatrick. 

Pick change; previously Da'Ron Payne, NT

• Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php#ixzz5AazcinxJ

I think I'd be very willing to bet that either James or Fitzpatrick are there for us at 13 ... and I actually think James goes before Fitz ... Forget who it was, maybe Daniel Jeremiah, said on twitter earlier that the Browns are very unlikely to go Fitz/James at 4 because of all the moves they've made in the secondary this off-season.

Fun idea. I think Cleveland will trade 4 to Buffalo for 1.12 --- 1.22 and 2.21

Thing is, they don't NEED that many players. They have solid depth ... they need impact guys. And that would give them 3 1sts and 4 2nds ... which is just silliness.

In that scenario, I actually have them going Darnold at 1 ... then taking McGlinchey at 12 ... and trading 1.22 and 2.3 to Washington for 1.13 to jump back up and get a falling Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Essentially, they'd get a guy they're rumored to be targeting at 4 before they went hog-wild on the secondary in FA ... and a replacement for Joe Thomas, and swap 2.3 with 2.21 ... not a bad situation ... also in that mock draft I have Skins taking Hernandez at 1.22 (with Vea and Payne going to LAC and DAL at 17 and 19) ... then taking Michel at 2.3 ... and what we do at 2.12 is anyone's guess with the mock I put together. Best DL available for us would be Tim Settle.

If we land Hankins, I think you could go Malik Jefferson ... or a CB ... or a Safety ... really true BPA pick there. But it would probably need to be on defense since you went G-RB to start off. But there's a run on DL in the late-1st that really drops the level of talent available at that 2.12 pick. Deshawn Hand, Tim Settle are the top 2 DL on my big-board but I'm using an outdated one. Both are slated as late 2nd early 3rds ... which is a reach at 2.12 and not really BPA.

I'll work on my mock over the weekend that laid the foundation for that ^ and maybe get it on here Monday.

3 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't think Edmunds is a Mike either though.  Edmunds has poor vision and instincts.  He loses track of action a lot.  Spaces out and misses the RB leaking to the flat, gets routinely confused by play action or misdirection.  His read and react is slow.  He's only 19 years old, so I imagine this can all change.  But right now he's best in specific roles where he's not asked to do a whole lot.

I think Leighton Vander Esch is the best Mike in the draft.  But to be honest, he seems like a future solid player, not great.  I never think "wow" or "this guy is making plays!" when watching his tape.

Edmunds is an incredibly fun player to watch and also an incredibly frustrating one to watch at the same time. He has such crazy athletic ability and will make ridiculous splash plays and is really solid in coverage, but at the same time he seems to obviously struggle with fundamentals of the game. I agree with what you said regarding PA. He bites HARD on it, consistently. He's always taking false steps instead of reading the QB or reading his keys so many times he's out of place on both pass and run plays.

The result of that is the aforementioned splash plays when he happens to guess right, but just as often it is him not being in on a play when he guesses wrong and is totally out of position to do anything. Now, he's only 19 years old and that is stuff that can be taught. But he's a guy you'll have to be patient with for a while and limit the amount of things he's required to do until he can hone that part of his game more. Insane upside, but bust potential depending on how quick he is to pick that stuff up and how willing he is to learn it.

One guy who did a scouting report on Edmunds said it best: "You watch his tape and it's obvious he has no clue what the **** he's doing, but he's still the best player on the field."

27 minutes ago, mistertim said:

One guy who did a scouting report on Edmunds said it best: "You watch his tape and it's obvious he has no clue what the **** he's doing, but he's still the best player on the field."

Then you have to hope that's because he is so young rather than not smart enough to learn it.  The recent analysis on Roquan Smith and thoughts on Edmunds are troubling.  If Smith fits best as a weakside LB in a 4:3 then there doesn't appear to be any point in drafting him at #13.  Maybe he fits in nickel but I don't want the #13 to have such limitations.  Of course, coaches are paid the big bucks to be creative and some are a lot better at it than others.  Unfortunately the Skins have a history of trying to fit square pegs into round holes.  Sigh.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Fun idea. I think Cleveland will trade 4 to Buffalo for 1.12 --- 1.22 and 2.21

Thing is, they don't NEED that many players. They have solid depth ... they need impact guys. And that would give them 3 1sts and 4 2nds ... which is just silliness.

In that scenario, I actually have them going Darnold at 1 ... then taking McGlinchey at 12 ... and trading 1.22 and 2.3 to Washington for 1.13 to jump back up and get a falling Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Browns fans have a lot to think about.  They absolutely need to protect any rookie QB.  Whether that translates into a potential trade with the Skins is anyone's guess.  Still that's a fun scenario - I'm not sure McGlinchey is expected to go as high as #12 though.  Maybe they trade out of 12 and then back up to 13.   

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Heard Bucky Brooks say on NFLN today he believes there will be 6 QB's taken in the first round.  That could be really good for us in trade down scenario's.

Brooks also in a Q&A with DJ concurring with him -- thought 3 RBs could go in the first -- Barkley, Guice, Michel 

Heard Bucky Brooks say on NFLN today he believes there will be 6 QB's taken in the first round.  That could be really good for us in trade down scenario's.

Must have mentioned Jackson and Rudolph as the other two.

Darnold-Rosen-Allen-Mayfield is a very possible 1-4 if Buffalo goes to 4. I don’t see Denver going Jackson. But Arizona could. Or Rudolph. Then it just takes 1 team between New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville to take the 6th 

25 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Darnold-Rosen-Allen-Mayfield is a very possible 1-4 if Buffalo goes to 4. I don’t see Denver going Jackson. But Arizona could. Or Rudolph. Then it just takes 1 team between New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville to take the 6th 

I believe that we will trade w/ or w/o Hankins being signed with AZ and move down to #15 and pick up our 3rd round choice and still be able to land the player want and need.  I will say this too.  IF we do sign Hankins it wouldn't be out of the question that Skins draft Jackson and trade him to a team like NO, Pitts or Jacksonville, if AZ has not interest.  We could get into a bidding war and get a lot of picks.  Anything could happen.  Just a thought.  Not saying it will be just a thought. 

The only players I really want at 13 are the 3 DBs (Fitzpatrick, James, Ward) or the 2 LBs (Edmunds or Smith).  Otherwise, I'd rather trade down if possible.  I think this draft has a clear separation between the top and the rest.  It falls off after Fitzpatrick, James, Ward, Edmunds, Smith.  We won't have a chance at Barkley, Nelson, or Chubb.  The QBs will be taken high. 

11 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Still watching this video, but so far I think it's his best one in awhile.  It highlights a huge issue with pairing Zach Brown and Roquan Smith together.  Both of them play like this.  So if we did draft him, how would we manage to protect both of our ILB's?  I think there are better ways to improve our team than adding redundancy with Zach Brown.

I've actually watched Roquan.  He stacks and sheds as well as any ultra-productive middle linebacker.  And this guy is telling me he couldn't take on and beat blocks playing inside at Georgia?  LOL.  That guy is full of ****.  Is he the same one who made a video about how Randy Gregory wasn't slow and that he was going to be a beast?

Luke Kuechly can't play mike at the next level.  Certainly not next to an undersized converted safety like Thomas Davis.

Ray Lewis can only play sideline to sideline.

London Fletcher can't anchor at the PoA.

Roquan is going to play MLB in the NFL and he's going to be a Probowler.

6 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Who is the sixth QB?

14 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

5.12: Tony Brown, CB Alabama

I asked on here about Brown the other day, what's the thinking on his round projection, is it 5th/6th in general.

He is definitely someone I'd take at that point in the draft, would be great on special teams.

14 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I like Vita Vea only if we don't sign Hankins.  Big body and quick and powerful.  He can not only stop the run but put pressure on the QB.  If we sign Hankins it would behoove the Skins to try and trade down IF Jackson/Randolph are on the board and a team is in love with them and wants to trade up to get one of them. :)

The more I think about it the more I wouldn't mind selecting Lamar Jackson...assuming he's there of course.

I mean in essence Alex's deal is only three years so it's not like Lamar would sit for a long time.

Also, you never know how long Alex is going to be effective. At 34 he could lose it very quickly.

Just something to ponder.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/36042/alex-smiths-deal-provided-cap-space-so-why-arent-the-redskins-spending-big

Keim: If they don’t sign Hankins, the early draft priorities for me always start with taking the best player available -- at a position of need. There could be multiple players on a team’s board with the same grade, so the best player available could be different in the eyes of those in the room

But this draft works well for the Redskins picking 13th. Without Hankins, they’d want more help along the defensive line. I know they’ve been telling others this is a priority (which matches my discussions). If that’s the case, then Vita Vea or Da'Ron Payne would be the answer. My guess is that Vea would be gone by 13; Payne is intriguing because he’s only 20. He wasn’t considered a great pass-rusher at Alabama, but in watching some of his film he had a terrific first step -- often ahead of the other linemen. But on his second and third he was too upright, affecting his rush. Take care of that and you could have a very good pass-rusher as well as a run-stopper.

Anyway, after that I’d put running back, offensive line, (emphasis on left guard), outside linebacker (if they don’t sign Pernell McPhee) and safety, more to provide help as a backup/special-teamer (unless they fall in love with someone like Derwin James or if Minkah Fitzpatrick falls there). Heck, there’s no position I wouldn’t look at. They like Davis but could draft another wideout. They could use another corner to challenge those returning. Quarterback is unlikely, unless someone they love falls unexpectedly and they just can’t pass on him. When you haven’t won a playoff game in forever, no position should be safe from addressing.

Archived