Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I guess one counter argument to Mayor Pete being too green for SoS would be is that if the Dems were ready to vote for him as POTUS if he won the nomination, can we really say he's not ready to be SoS?  I think reasonable minds can differ on that.

My counter to that is that (in my view) President is a figurehead position that’s about putting the right people in charge. Ie: I don’t expect the ceo of a company that provides service X to be an expert of service X. I expect them to be an expert at running a business which includes hiring the right execs to build the right organization. 

To me SOS requires some expertise. I would expec the person running the tech department for a company to have expertise in tech. Same with finance. Or HR. Etc. 

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I have to ask, how often do appointments actually have worked at the department they become in charge of?  That doesn't sound historically how we do things, even if it makes sense.

Pete is former military, speaks multiple languages, and extremely well-spoken.  Maybe he's not ready for State, but it would be total waste of his potential to just leave him in Indiana.

This conversation in my eyes isn't about "just because he ran for president".  Notice no one in here has suggested nominating Lady Gemstone for anything.

Former military, speaks multiple language and is well-spoken, while a huge upgrade from the standard the past 3.5 years, does not cut it.  That job has an awesome responsibility, no rookies please, even if they are extraordinarily smart.  

Is Susan Rice too obvious a pick?  I mean, she may not have run for President, but she managed to get on the VP shortlist anyways and (assuming she doesn't get picked for VP), has actually worked in the White House or State Dept for 25 or so years, was Ambassador to the UN, was Assistant SecState, and was Obama's National Security Advisor.  Standford, Rhodes Scholar, Brookings Fellow.

Edit:  Who is Lady Gemstone?  Lindsey Graham?

25 minutes ago, tshile said:

oh don’t get me wrong, I agree that it’s a dumb way of doing things and my preferred approach is to pick the most qualified person. 

but that’s not the world we live in. 

otherwise Biden wouldn’t have painted himself into a corner with the woman vp thing. You can’t possibly tell me that a genuine search for the most qualified person starts by excluding a specific race, gender, or religion right off the bat? So they’ve already admitted, without being provoked, that this all centers around something other than “who is the most qualified person”

A pretty good case could be made that Biden wrote a list of the 10 most qualified people and they were all women.  

I'll note that "excluding a specific race, gender, or religion right off the bat" has happened in nearly every Presidential election ever, just not in the way you don't like. 

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

A pretty good case could be made that Biden wrote a list of the 10 most qualified people and they were all women.  

Absolutely. Didn’t mean to imply otherwise. 

but he didn’t tell us that. What he told us was that he was going to pick a woman. maybe that’s because he made his declaration poorly. Maybe it’s because that’s actually what matters with their selection. 

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

My counter to that is that (in my view) President is a figurehead position that’s about putting the right people in charge. Ie: I don’t expect the ceo of a company that provides service X to be an expert of service X. I expect them to be an expert at running a business which includes hiring the right execs to build the right organization. 

To me SOS requires some expertise. I would expec the person running the tech department for a company to have expertise in tech. Same with finance. Or HR. Etc. 

You'd think that's what we would've got with the businessman as president, quite the opposite.  I agree with in what we should be doing, but again, we don't do it.

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Absolutely. Didn’t mean to imply otherwise. 

but he didn’t tell us that. What he told us was that he was going to pick a woman. maybe that’s because he made his declaration poorly. Maybe it’s because that’s actually what matters with their selection. 

Or doing it the way he did it was good politics outside of cranky white men. :)

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Or doing it the way he did it was good politics outside of cranky white men. :)

Yeah this the way of suggesting that it’s ok to start a search for the most qualified person by excluding white people/men. 

its a blind spot of the progressives. Racism and sexism are wrong unless it’s used against whites people and males. 

One day you’ll all work it out of your system and we can actually work towards equality. We just have to pay off your silly view of some sort of debt being owed first. 

which is fine for the most part you guys own it, some of you cry when it’s pointed out but the implications are there enough to know you know :) 

19 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Former military, speaks multiple language and is well-spoken, while a huge upgrade from the standard the past 3.5 years, does not cut it.  That job has an awesome responsibility, no rookies please, even if they are extraordinarily smart.  

Then what about UN ambassador?  I get your point that he might not have a lot of diplomatic experience, im not the only one that would like to see him in that role eventually, seems like a good fit even if too early right now.

Is Susan Rice too obvious a pick?  I mean, she may not have run for President, but she managed to get on the VP shortlist anyways and (assuming she doesn't get picked for VP), has actually worked in the White House or State Dept for 25 or so years, was Ambassador to the UN, was Assistant SecState, and was Obama's National Security Advisor.  Standford, Rhodes Scholar, Brookings Fellow.

We gonna have dust off the cobwebs in why Obama changed his mind then.  I'm not against it as it seems Biden already has for his VP list, he wouldn't if he thought it would backfire too much.

Edit:  Who is Lady Gemstone?  Lindsey Graham?

*telepathically - "Excuse me?"

760736118_giphy(76).gif.2a656dae8d34d912549c0a9537135293.gif

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yeah this the way of suggesting that it’s ok to start a search for the most qualified person by excluding white people/men. 

its a blind spot of the progressives. Racism and sexism are wrong unless it’s used against whites people and males. 

One day you’ll all work it out of your system and we can actually work towards equality. We just have to pay off your silly view of some sort of debt being owed first. 

which is fine for the most part you guys own it, some of you cry when it’s pointed out but the implications are there enough to know you know :) 

Some folks narrow their choices to try to make up for other folks doing the same.

I'm down with eliminating affirmative action once whites are jus another minority group, but we aren't there yet.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Then what about UN ambassador?  I get your point that he might not have a lot of diplomatic experience, im not the only one that would like to see him in that role eventually, seems like a good fit even if too early right now.

I don't know who else would be on that list.  I (for once) agree with @Rdskns2000, there are a lot of much more junior postings that would be good for Mayor Pete to stay in the public eye while gaining federal experience.  I think Mayor Pete himself would get a lot of say in what route he wants to take.  

We gonna have dust off the cobwebs in why Obama changed his mind then.  I'm not against it as it seems Biden already has for his VP list, he wouldn't if he thought it would backfire too much.

Pretty sure it was BENGHAZI!  I'm also pretty sure that Republicans have grilled Rice like half a dozen times and gotten nowhere with their bull**** conspiracy theories.  The fact that she is on the VP shortlist tells you what Biden thinks about that being a sticking point. 

*telepathically - "Excuse me?"

I'm so confused. :(

I think Susan Rice at State seems like a lock, if she isn’t veep.

For the most important cabinet positions, Biden is going to pick people he’s familiar with. That pool of people will be drawn from Obama administration people and Joe’s contemporaries from his time in congress.

For the minor positions, is where you may see someone like Mayor Pete.

The only exception would be attorney general. Harris is the natural pick, if she isn’t veep.

11 minutes ago, tshile said:

We are talking about 2 different things.  I first said that it's pretty reasonable to think that, regardless of any gender considerations, the 10 most qualified people for VP could easily be all women, which you agreed with but took issue with how he presented it.  Then I said the only people that took issue with the presentation are cranky white men, everyone else thought it was smart.  Now you are back to the first thing.  Do you have a specific white man in mind that should have been at or near the top of the list, or are you just assuming their must be some white man out there somewhere that deserves the job?

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I don't know who else would be on that list.  I (for once) agree with @Rdskns2000, there are a lot of much more junior postings that would be good for Mayor Pete to stay in the public eye while gaining federal experience.  I think Mayor Pete himself would get a lot of say in what route he wants to take.  

He probably did say he didn't want HUD by running for president, but sure, let's ask him based on what he's qualified for, jus get him in the cabinet instead of rotting in Pence old state.

Pretty sure it was BENGHAZI!  I'm also pretty sure that Republicans have grilled Rice like half a dozen times and gotten nowhere with their bull**** conspiracy theories.  The fact that she is on the VP shortlist tells you what Biden thinks about that being a sticking point. 

I only approve of this if we take this same "ignore their BS conspiracy theories" for everything else as well.  It shook Obama, thought it was more then that, like she actually did mess up somewhere and he felt it wasn't worth it.

I'm so confused. :(

giphy (77).gif

Every single woman on Biden's VP list are 1000 times more qualified than the current occupants of the WH and Naval Observatory, and the entire cabinet for that matter. I am so sick of women being relegated to the back seat because of her sex. Get over it.

As an aside, check out the countries that have pretty much controlled Covid-19, all headed by women. Now say again that we are less qualified than men.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

He probably did say he didn't want HUD by running for president, but sure, let's ask him based on what he's qualified for, jus get him in the cabinet instead of rotting in Pence old state.

I mean, the lady in the gif you posted also ran for President, not sure she should get a cabinet position.  Yang too.  

Just now, Renegade7 said:

I only approve of this if we take this same "ignore their BS conspiracy theories" for everything else as well.  It shook Obama, thought it was more then that, like she actually did mess up somewhere and he felt it wasn't worth it.

Obama wanted to get BENGHAZI! out of the news to try to help Hillary's chances of winning.  Rice's "mess up" was being sent to talk about it on the weekend shows and not having all of the details right (because she was given incorrect info by the intel community, because it was a confusing situation and the intel community is not perfect, which is the standard Trump sets for everyone except himself). 

Biden's VP pick and his Cabinet choices are all essentially meaningless in terms of votes. (its just eye candy for the 24/7 news cycle)

Republicans have already shaped this election about all sorts of noise. 

Democrats... have a chance to make this election about voting for Joe Biden. Im hoping they don't **** it up.

Vote for Biden.

I don't GAF who or what or why is speaking, what Cabinet or VP position they're gunning for, their qualifications.... just stand up there and tell the country you're voting for Biden, why you're voting Biden and tell everyone else to vote for Biden.

I mean, the lady in the gif you posted also ran for President, not sure she should get a cabinet position.  Yang too.  

I've said this a couple times now, and even made the joke via gifs, that not running for president alone should be why we having this convo with which new bloods should be in the cabinet.

Walking away, im trying to meet you halfway and its going right over your head. Its all good : )

Obama wanted to get BENGHAZI! out of the news to try to help Hillary's chances of winning.  Rice's "mess up" was being sent to talk about it on the weekend shows and not having all of the details right (because she was given incorrect info by the intel community, because it was a confusing situation and the intel community is not perfect, which is the standard Trump sets for everyone except himself). 

Sounds about right. Then if we do that, leave it alone until after the election.  I get Fox News at the gym and they will not shut up about this.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I've said this a couple times now, and even made the joke via gifs, that not running for president alone should be why we having this convo with which new bloods should be in the cabinet.

Walking away, im trying to meet you halfway and its going right over your head. Its all good : )

Fair enough, I just don't think he's ready for a cabinet position (and I don't think he'll get one).  

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Sounds about right. Then if we do that, leave it alone until after the election.  I get Fox News at the gym and they will not shut up about this.

You should change gyms. :)

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hey.  Nothing goes over PB's head.  He's a lawyer.  He hasn't told you that?  He'd love to tell you all about it. :) 

I will admit to being totally confused by the Lady Gemstone reference.  I had forgotten that that lady even existed.  :ols:

Fair enough, I just don't think he's ready for a cabinet position (and I don't think he'll get one).  

Agree to disagree.

You should change gyms. :)

Planet Fitness and OneLife in Alexandria I've noticed both have this problem with trying to be fair, there's no escape : )

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/08/10/i-still-believe-president-president/

A good takedown.

August 10, 2020 at 6:39 p.m. EDT

I believe the president Made America Great Again. I believe we need him reelected to Make America Great Again Again.

I believe Joe Biden is “Sleepy” and “weak.” I believe Biden could “hurt God” and the Bible.

I believe that if Biden is elected, there will be “no religion, no anything,” and he would confiscate all guns, “immediately and without notice.” He would “abolish” “our great,” “beautiful suburbs,” not to mention “the American way of life.” There would be “no windows, no nothing” in buildings.

I believe the news media would have “no ratings” and “will go down along with our great USA!” if the president loses — and that this would be bad even though the media is fake.

I believe it’s normal for the president to say “Yo Semites” and “Yo Seminites,” “Thigh Land,” “Minne-a-napolis,” “toe-tally-taria-tism,” “Thomas Jeffers” and “Ulyss-eus S. Grant.” I believe it’s Biden who’s cognitively impaired.

Archived