Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Some good news for getting rid of the human waste of space currently living in the White House.

Civiqs shows the president’s net approval ratios being underwater (i.e., negative) in 10 states he carried in 2016: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Wisconsin. If that were to represent how the 2020 elections turn out, Trump would have a booming 119 electoral votes.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/08/trumps-state-by-state-approval-ratings-should-scare-him.html

14 hours ago, Springfield said:

A tangent from this post.

Perhaps this is the reason why nominees with little experience tend to to better in the general election.  Obama, (especially) Trump both weren’t 30-40 year congressional officials.

Its one reason why I like a guy like Buttigueg over a Harris, Warren, etc.  He’s smart and can form a position but doesn’t have a history of skeletons following him around.

To some extent, yes. It's a reason why it's generally considered that Senators don't make the best candidates. They have to put their names to too many positions. 

However, that doesn't just forgive the mistakes of Joe Biden. His campaign wants the credit for all his experience and "everybody knows Joe" but seem almost offended that anyone would dare look at his record. That kind of hypocrisy and entitlement are maddening.

Now, some things we can see evolving on. Busing was a complicated issue. Sadly, it wasn't that long ago that people didn't see women as breadwinners. Many civil rights leaders were in favor of the crime bill. NAFTA is at least debatable still.

However, Clarence Thomas is perhaps the worst Justice this country has ever had on the Supreme Court. The republicans got him on the bench because Joe helped cover up corroborating evidence against him, and torpedoed her testimony, breaking a promise he made to let her go first. This isn't a "Oh, if only we knew then what we know now" situation. He sided with a predator and helped the opposition party install him on the bench. And to this day he doesn't seem to think there is anything wrong with that, or that there is any need to apologize to her.

Likewise, the Iraq war is probably the second biggest foreign policy disaster in our history, and repealing Glass-Steagall led to the second biggest financial mess (in the last century anyway) and Biden was on the wrong side of both (Inslee and Sanders voted against both). On Iraq in particular he was a cheerleader for it. And the Bankruptcy bill, which was nothing but a gift to credit card companies at the expense of working people (and fiercely opposed by Elizabeth Warren, btw) was juts another example of many of Biden taking the side of the conmen over the common man. 

No, I'm not crying tears for Joe that he's so unlucky he has a record. I'm worried about nominating a guy who's views are so consistently terrible. 

11 hours ago, twa said:

But much more eloquent.

No doubt. He’s actually extremely intelligent, knowledgeable, and probably has some of the best debating skills of any politician today. Really says a lot about the GOP voting base when I watch the TX congressional debates and Beto O’Rourke is the only one providing any content and Ted Cruz response to everything with some dumb **** like “ well what about George Soros?” Because he has to make himself sound stupid and conspiratorial in order to appeal to the mouth breathing morons.

18 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I hate it when you're right.  I mentioned before about Bernie and Warren competing for votes, there's no doubt in my mind if he dropped out right now, Warren would be leading the polls because they are splitting the same base, but he won't do it.  Word on the street a lot of his supports are jumping ship anyway, slowly.

Actually, Biden and Bernie are competing for hte same voters. 

Warren and Harris are competing with each other

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/442738-poll-almost-one-third-of-biden-supporters-pick-sanders-as-their

Same poll but Matt Taibbi ana;ysis:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/sanders-biden-870956/

24 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/442738-poll-almost-one-third-of-biden-supporters-pick-sanders-as-their

This seems like overthinking it. 

Bernie and Warren are both the most far left of the running candidates representing the same progressive base. Harris showed her true colors to me at least in the last debate, she's not nearly as far to the left as she wanted to appear, even with her watered down UBI plan. 

Warren and Sanders pretty much split the progressive base in half, which is keeping the progressives from being in first place where they belong.  Saying who their second choice is doesnt do justice to reality Warren is siphoning off his supporters will trying not to directly attack him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/warren-makes-inroads-into-sanderss-world-one-backer-at-a-time/2019/08/03/03bb6cd6-b495-11e9-8949-5f36ff92706e_story.html

Edit: let's put it this way, if at this point Biden is still your first choice, I'd question you saying were a progressive

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This seems like overthinking it. 

Bernie and Warren are both the most far left of the running candidates representing the same progressive base. Harris showed her true colors to me at least in the last debate, she's not nearly as far to the left as she wanted to appear, even with her watered down UBI plan. 

Warren and Sanders pretty much split the progressive base in half, which is keeping the progressives from being in first place where they belong.  Saying who their second choice is doesnt do justice to reality Warren is siphoning off his supporters will trying not to directly attack him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/warren-makes-inroads-into-sanderss-world-one-backer-at-a-time/2019/08/03/03bb6cd6-b495-11e9-8949-5f36ff92706e_story.html

I’m aware of their views. 

I linked an actual poll with first and second choices. Bernie and Biden are fighting for the same type of voters based on that information. 

Voters are that weird and over complicated.

5 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I’m aware of their views. 

I linked an actual poll with first and second choices. Bernie and Biden are fighting for the same type of voters based on that information. 

Voters are that weird and over complicated.

Ya, I read what you posted, jus doesnt make sense, as you noted : )

37 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The first article says "A Hill-HarrisX poll released Wednesday found that 27 percent of registered voters who support Biden said Sanders was their second pick to become the Democratic nominee."

27% isn't all that much.  I can't find the actual poll, but it would be interesting to see what % of Sanders' voters pick Warren as their second choice and vice versa.  All I can find is this write up in RCP that says Warren is the second pick for 25% of Sanders voters, which is about the same as Biden/Sanders. 

I do find it somewhat strange that the number isn't bigger between Sanders and Warren, 

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Not to speak for Benning, but I'm not sure I agree with this.  I think Warren probably appeals more to college-educated progressives above 30 or 35 who like her policy heavy approach.  Bernie probably appeals more to younger people who are either in or fresh out of college or not college educated who like his angry burn it all down approach.  I still find it weird that it's not a higher percentage, but like Benning said, voters can be weird.  Probably a lot of people just vote for the personality.  

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Not to speak for Benning, but I'm not sure I agree with this.  I think Warren probably appeals more to college-educated progressives above 30 or 35 who like her policy heavy approach.  Bernie probably appeals more to younger people who are either in or fresh out of college or not college educated who like his angry burn it all down approach. 

Fair question, but which do you think isnt true? That they are splitting the progressive base or that people are leaving Bernie for Warren?

Interesting article to your point, even if they a very similar platform a represent the same base, different demographics in that base support each for different reasons.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/12/sanders-warren-voters-2020-1408548

I dont agree with questioning if Sanders supports will go to Warren supporters will go to Sanders.  Their platforms are so similar that it's not like when Sanders base virtually abandoned Hillary in 2016, I dont see that happening, especially in light of Trump being in office and most if not all the other candidates being centrists or pretending not to be.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

I like how there is a "Sale" sign on the abortion office because you know, it is such a difficult decision to make, but how can you not get an abortion if they are on sale, right?

Well, as long as the whole thing is about stereotypes, you know how women are about sales.  

"I wasn't actually going to sleep with you tonight.  But there's a sale on abortions."  

(I really hope nobody who reads this knows who I am in real life.)  

Archived