Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Just now, superozman said:

Correct, people can use or not use (and I think my post says that, but you were probably typing yours when mine came through).  I just think these trendy boycott this, celebs demand  you don't use this, etc is extremely dangerous.

For the next piece what your saying is that it's ok for those gyms to close, because a new gym will move in and those people will get the same exact $ and benefits in those new places?  And they won't go without a job for much time?  I think that's wishful thinking, but we can differ there.

It's telling that what you find "disgusting" is calls for boycott and not what led to the boycott.

3 minutes ago, superozman said:

Correct, people can use or not use (and I think my post says that, but you were probably typing yours when mine came through).  I just think these trendy boycott this, celebs demand  you don't use this, etc is extremely dangerous.

For the next piece what your saying is that it's ok for those gyms to close, because a new gym will move in and those people will get the same exact $ and benefits in those new places?  And they won't go without a job for much time?  I think that's wishful thinking, but we can differ there.

Republicans 2019: 

Not patronizing for-profit business based on a value judgement:  Extremely dangerous.  

Assault weapons:  Constitutionally protected right.  

3 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Wait a minute, are you the same guy that I thought was a right wing troll a couple weeks ago? Did there used to be another ozman or something on here that was because somehow your screen name triggers me.

Yes, this is the 2nd time you've tried to trash me.  All I know is the next tailgate or Redskins game or something you have upped your beer count to 2 that you owe me.

I haven't seen another ozman around...I thought i was unique...

13 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

It's telling that what you find "disgusting" is calls for boycott and not what led to the boycott.

So that's a very large assumption.  "What led to the boycott" could mean a couple things so I'll share my thoughts on those. 

Donating money - people freely can donate, and if you donate to Bernie and Yes Excuses donates to Trump, I'm not going to boycott, state to boycott, or tell others what to do and what not to do for either person. 

Trump himself - Trump is a narcissistic asshole who is someone that this office doesn't replicate ever again.  I did not vote for him, nor will I in the coming election.  But that again, doesn't make me like the actions by people or make me like the actions of Trump.  

8 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

He's a Phillies fan - please trash him on that @Sacks 'n' Stuff

And Sixers and Flyers.  There you go.  As I said in the other thread, now that I've stated some political viewpoints, I have to be the most hated Redskins fan.  I'm in a lose lose spot!

Just now, Cooked Crack said:

I don't remember liberals thinking it was dangerous when people said they were boycotting Nike. We just laughed and moved on. Now when people talking about not giving their money to someone that supports actual damages to lives then it's dangerous.

Maybe they didn't.  I personally do.   I always said again, on an individual basis you can not support Nike or whatever business but don't demand other people to, especially if you are in a place of power. 

I still wear Nike.  I guess that makes me a bad republican? 

The peoples power in this country are their votes and their money. They are free to use both how they want within the limits of the law. Its kinda the point. You dont have to like it. People dont have to care that you dont like it. 

Its alot like how its not illegal to be a racist. I dont like it. But you are free to be a republican if you do. 

3 hours ago, PF Chang said:

This primary is going to be miserable. 

What Republicans do:

1. Vote for whoever they like in the primary

2. Vote for whoever wins the primary in the general

It is that simple. I'd feel good about 2020 if Democrats acted the same way. Democratic voters can't seem to accept that winning requires you to be part of a coalition, one that doesn't universally share your beliefs.

We have too many people who are more invested in winning internet fights than defeating Trump. Sure, the president shows no remorse for inciting domestic terrorism but Kamala Harris was a prosecutor, so I could never vote for her because I'm a narcissist who needs to be 100% catered to. 

I guess I hoped that at some point people would accept that the only thing that matters is getting this terrible person out of office. The stakes could not be higher. 

Were you not alive for the 2016 Republican Primaries?

33 minutes ago, superozman said:

Donating money - people freely can donate, and if you donate to Bernie and Yes Excuses donates to Trump, I'm not going to boycott, state to boycott, or tell others what to do and what not to do for either person. 

That's fine. It also doesn't make people engaging in political boycotts "disgusting". Perhaps you don't care about who receives your dollars. Some people do. 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Were you not alive for the 2016 Republican Primaries?

I remember them well. I thought it was funny that Trump was winning at first because it seemed to expose that the GOP is a total joke. I thought there was no chance that 'normal' people would vote for him in a general election. i was dead wrong about that because Republicans do what they always do and vote Republican no matter how bad the nominee is. I hope Democrats do the same because anyone, even Marianne Williamson and her aura, is better than 4 more years of Trump.  

1 minute ago, PF Chang said:

I remember them well. I thought it was funny that Trump was winning at first because it seemed to expose that the GOP is a total joke. I thought there was no chance that 'normal' people would vote for him in a general election. i was dead wrong about that because Republicans do what they always do and vote Republican no matter how bad the nominee is. I hope Democrats do the same because anyone, even Marianne Williamson and her aura, is better than 4 more years of Trump.  

yea bro, what are you talking about?

I asked were you alive for the 2016 primaries because those were also contentious and had people saying, "should I support this," and a few Republicans even left the party.

The elections are 14 months away. 

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Thats NFL boycott worked. They shut those pesky sons of ****es up. So I know they cant be too against them. 

LOL

12 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

I hope Democrats do the same because anyone, even Marianne Williamson and her aura, is better than 4 more years of Trump.  

I'm going to be lmao if she is.

2 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

yea bro, what are you talking about?

I asked were you alive for the 2016 primaries because those were also contentious and had people saying, "should I support this," and a few Republicans even left the party.

An insignificant number of Never Trump people left the party. Trump 2016 got 2 million more votes than Romney 2012. I am not mad about or disputing that primaries are contentious. In the end Republicans did what they always do, and Clinton ended up with fewer votes than Obama 2012. 

Anecdotally I see people from center to left saying they won't vote D if their candidate doesn't win the primary and I'm concerned about that. I honestly don't understand where the disagreement is here. 

The danger in this sort of boycott has more to do with the whims and uninformed-ness of the general public. 

They can be easily riled up to cause harm to someone that might not deserve it. And it might not be realized they didn’t deserve it until the harm is done. And the harm can be (but not necessarily be) irreversible 

im all for boycotts where the person is what they’re accused of being, and people who find that offensive (or whatever) use their money to go elsewhere to not support said person 

but every time I see one I do have a part of me that realizes how something like this could be, in an individual event, misguided and harmful for someone that doesn’t deserve it

Are Republicans claiming dems should not be doing this?  At the time, and maybe now, the thinking was country music was most popular with Republicans.  How many of you trashed your Dixie Chicks stuff?  They were the absolute top of the country charts for years until they made clear they thought Bush was dead wrong about the war in Iraq.  Even when much of the country came around to their position about the war to find WMD that never found them, their sales and popularity never recovered. 

I would point out this should be a caution to the Democrats too.  Often the damage we do in our passions of the moment can spread the damages beyond our intentions, and in hindsight can seem misguided or even foolish. 

Don't think this is unique to the U.S. either.  I had a coworker explain to me why Iranians (he is one) put sugar cubes in their tea rather than teaspoons of sugar.  It seems Domino sugar didn't want tp pay a bribe.  So their religious leaders said sugar is evil and should not be put in their drinks.  When the bribe was paid, suddenly it was OK to put sugar in their tea and coffee, but only in the cube form, not the teaspoons full.  He said he knows the history and finds it funny.  However, he still buys sugar cubes, even after more than 3 decades living in the U.S.

We humans are easily influenced.

The fact we have the same placed being so instrumental for primaries easy is ridiculous. Iowa? New Hampshire? "Super Tuesday" should be first.... and the states on that list should be always shifting. No offense to those two states, but I don't see why their opinions are more valuable. 

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

I don't remember liberals thinking it was dangerous when people said they were boycotting Nike. We just laughed and moved on. Now when people talking about not giving their money to someone that supports actual damages to lives then it's dangerous.

Go smash a Keurig, hater.  

12 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Why in the world would any business owner publicly support any party or candidate, whatever you do 50% of the people are going to hate you.

So dumb.

It's not really parties and candidates, it's values.  But yea, currently one party supports one set of values and the other party another, and obviously one candidate is a big fat racist. 

In any event, it depends on who your clientele is.  If your core clients are young urbanites, or people who want to dress like young urbanites (like Nike), then you should publicly support values such as "not hating black and brown people," and the people that advocate them.  It's good for the brand.

Conversely, if your brand is built around diversity, inclusion and positivity (and you operate entirely in large cities) (like SoulCycle), you should not do the opposite and support assholes that constantly denigrate and demonize non-whites, gay people, and people that live in cities.  It's diametrically opposed to the brand and therefore bad.  Sure, maybe 50% of people now love SoulCycle because it's owner is fundraising for Trump.  Unfortunately, damn near 100% of those people don't live near a SoulCycle. 

Archived