Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend of mine who is all aboard the Trump train - not just a "he's a Republican/better than Hillary" guy, but full on "Trump is da man!" He is a Vietnam vet and will never forgive the left for how he was treated afterwards. Anyways, he forwards all these Bannonesque emails, and lately many of them have been protesting whiney-ass libtards removing Confederate monuments.  He's Jewish and from NJ.  I am so tempted to point out that the motivation/movement behind building these statues was to protest the heavy influx of Jewish and Catholic immigrants who were watering down what the KKK insisted was our white anglo saxon protestant heritage (immigration/nativism, not civil rights, was what led to a surge in Klan membership at the beginning of the 20th century)...but I am sure the point/irony would be lost on him

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2017/10/18/jefferson-davis-ib-elementary-school-in-mississippi-will-be-renamed-for-barack-obama/

In the latest salvo in an intensifying debate over the commemoration of Confederate leaders in public spaces, Davis IB Elementary is getting a new name: Barack Obama IB Elementary School.

The name change will take effect next school year, when the Jackson, Miss., school will join at least 21 others across the nation named “Obama,” including two named for former first lady Michelle Obama.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 9:40 AM, Hersh said:

It's tough do to when state governments passed laws specifically to protect confederate statues from being removed by local municipalities. 

As someone that went to JEB Stuart, I can say I was against changing the name. The primary reason being is that nobody cared when we were in HS what the name of the school was and Stuart is one of the most diverse HS in the country. Secondary reasons: I have a problem with nobody talking about the quality education at the school currently, what can really be done to help students coming out of the school to achieve success and that it seemed to be a crusade by suburban white people. (One of whom accused me of being a bigot simply for asking how far people are willing to go when it comes to removing statues and monuments of slave owners. She also invoked Hilter and Germany right away.) 

Don't get me wrong, I get the symbolic aspect of it, but if one is going to crusade against changing the name of a HS, that should just be the tip of the iceberg if you are really concerned about equality. 

Anyway, I do think the conversation needs to take place about how far this is going to go and what are the reasons for it. 

well it happened....  

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/JEB-Stuart-High-School-to-Be-Renamed-453484043.html

JULIE CAREY, DAVID CULVER AND THE NEWS4 TEAM COVERING WHERE YOU LIVE

Va. School Board Votes to Stop Using Name of Confederate General, Change to Justice High School

A Fairfax County, Virginia, high school named for a Confederate general will be renamed Justice High School.

The county school board voted to change the name of J.E.B. Stuart High School Thursday night after nearly four hours of debate and discussion.

Just before midnight, the school board approved the name Justice High School with a 7-4 vote. One board member abstained from voting.

<more at link>>

on a related note, I've noticed a real dearth of Paul Revere statues in London... and no Albert Lebrun High School in Vichy.... and frankly I'm appalled!

Edited by mcsluggo
(EDIT::: apparently the web-nannies are appalled at John Han**** as well!-- so i switched him to Paul Revere) 
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, visionary said:

If they're legitimately built on private land, then more power to them.  

If it's some kind of nudge nudge wink wink deal where the city council decides to sell a one-foot-square piece of land in the center of a public park, for one dollar, to the local Confederate Apologist Society, then my opinion is a bit different.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Apologies if this is already posted in this thread somewhere, but THIS is the Confederate General of whom we should be building statues. If it were truly about heritage and not hate (hint: it's not), we should replace statues of Forrest and Lee with Mahone and Longstreet.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_599b3747e4b06a788a2af43e

Edited by Riggo-toni

Dropped mother in law back off in W Va after Easter and pretty much immediately saw a big beat up truck flying a huge Confederate flag. 

It does send a chill through you. It is a flag of hate. It does make me mad. 

Saw a hispanic guy with an upside down American flag on his mud flaps for his van. That does make me mad as well. 

Id leave the Confederate stuff up. Educate the kids that these were the racist slave owning losers of the Civil War and the enemy of the USA. 

Just now, Llevron said:

Confederate history month. White people have zero chill. 

*Racist backward arse white people have no chill. I dont like broad generalizations when talking about race. I think if you are going to talk about sensitive issues, you need to choose and use your words wisely to express exactly what you mean to avoid mis-interpretation. With that said, thats just me and my preference.  

By your comment, you are lumping me with racist ppl from georgia .. and I have zero chill with that assertion. 

lol .. i shouldnt be in these threads. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

*Racist backward arse white people have no chill. I dont like broad generalizations when talking about race. I think if you are going to talk about sensitive issues, you need to choose and use your words wisely to express exactly what you mean to avoid mis-interpretation. With that said, thats just me and my preference.  

By your comment, you are lumping me with racist ppl from georgia .. and I have zero chill with that assertion. 

lol .. i shouldnt be in these threads. 

You are free to take it that way if you like. Im sure you are not the only non-racist white person who that statement would offend. 

You are also free to speak up against this kinda ****. And i'm sure you have the opportunity to do so every so often. I like to think that, and this may be ignorant, but i like to think that people that do speak against this kinda **** should know im not talking about them. But i say that as a black guy. Were the tables turned, maybe i wouldn't feel the way I think I should. Point of reflection there. 

But there is a problem with the white community in this country, just like there are problems with every community in this country. But we only flat out ignore one. And that **** is coming home to roost. I dont care to pretend I dont see it just to save a few hurt feelings. 

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

White people have zero chill. 

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Hypothesis initially confirmed, though further testing may be needed for a statistically significant result.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Confederate history month. White people have zero chill. 

56 minutes ago, Llevron said:

You are free to take it that way if you like. Im sure you are not the only non-racist white person who that statement would offend. 

You are also free to speak up against this kinda ****. And i'm sure you have the opportunity to do so every so often. I like to think that, and this may be ignorant, but i like to think that people that do speak against this kinda **** should know im not talking about them. But i say that as a black guy. Were the tables turned, maybe i wouldn't feel the way I think I should. Point of reflection there. 

But there is a problem with the white community in this country, just like there are problems with every community in this country. But we only flat out ignore one. And that **** is coming home to roost. I dont care to pretend I dont see it just to save a few hurt feelings. 

I'm white and knew what you meant.  I also do my best to speak up against any racial slurs I hear and call people out when I happen to come across that.  I also think that everyone, regardless of their race, should be doing that too.  That's the only way things will get better, imo.  

• Like 2

Confederate history includes, to be sure, the fact that the Confederates lost, had most of their important cities burned, and no longer exist as an actual nation.  As such, I have no problem with Confederate History Month; I would have a problem with Confederate Pride Month.  

• Like 2