Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nazis showing up at places uninvited.

No Excuses

36 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Pretty sure Rommel was part of an assassination attempt on Hitler.  IIRC, as he learned about Nazi atrocities he started to turn against them, culminating in the assassination attempt.  

Not sure what that has to do with Lee but do what you do, Geraldo.  

He was on the outside edges of the plot. Basically might have possibly heard something about it and didn't report. His execution for his connection was more Hitler clearing out any other potential future threats from the military and shoring up his control. And of course this was five years into the war, after millions upon millions had been murdered and it had become clear to any rational thinker that Germany was destined to lose. 

Edited by BornaSkinsFan83

Just now, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

He was on the outside edges of the plot. Basically might have possibly heard something about it and didn't report. This was five years into the war, after millions upon millions had been murdered. 

But involved enough in the plot that Hitler pretty much forced him into committing suicide.  

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

But involved enough in the plot that Hitler pretty much forced him into committing suicide.  

See my edit. Nearly 5,000 were executed/forced into suicide over it. It was a purge more than a punishment for the specific plot. 

From what I recall, Rommel essentially kept silent and allowed the plot to run its course; because after his defeat in N. Africa he knew the war had for all intents and purposes been lost, and likely believed that Germany could negotiate better terms with Corporal Evil gone.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yep.  Quite a purge to get rid of arguably his best general.  

I meant the whole thing was a purge, not just Rommel. It was the SS using the plot to assert control over the Wehmarcht once and for all and getting rid of anyone who may be a threat to Hitler. Including Rommel. I mean hell they used a mentally-handcapped boy setting fire to the Reichstag to destroy all the last remnants of democracy in Germany. And they used a small made-up border skirmish to invade Poland. And they used supposed plots to kill Rohm and wipeout the SA--their lifeblood on the streets and the thing that had carried them throughout the 20's--at the start of their reign. It's what they do. Seize an opportunity and use the emotions to take it to the extreme to finally take care of long-sought-after goals. Hitler had been calling the shots for the military since Stalingrad anyway. In Hitler's mind, Rommel was a threat, not an asset. 

And I don't want to hijack this thread anymore but let me just say in closing that the whole mythos around Saint Rommel is utter bull****. Epitome of overrated. And nobody gives a **** about him today without Wehmarcht apologists and the movie. He wasn't a great general. It's absurd he's mentioned in the same breath as Montgomery and Patton. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

From what I recall, Rommel essentially kept silent and allowed the plot to run its course; because after his defeat in N. Africa he knew the war had for all intents and purposes been lost, and likely believed that Germany could negotiate better terms with Corporal Evil gone.

That's what I said at the beginning. That he was on the outer fringes of the plot and wasn't really involved other than not reporting something he may have heard. And again this was 5 years into the war and after millions upon millions had been murdered.

Not really sure what we're (not you)  arguing about so I'm just going to stop here. 

**** Nazi's and **** the people who fight for them. 

• Like 1

*reads romney statement*

*thinks back to lady on cnn ranting about GOP pushing voter suppression tactics*

*rolls eyes*

seriously the GOP needs to do better than release a few statements.

they cannot be allowed to distance themselves from this with a simple faceboot post or tweet.

romney had no problem meeting with trump when the idea of a cabinet position for him was floated.

his words are empty. all of them. until they *do* something.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I read the Romney statement and was impressed.  Do you want him to drive up the white house and throw a punch?  Saying he should do something or do more always leaves room to say "that's not enough".

Yes

obviously the only options are to release a statement (but otherwise do nothing)

or punch trump in the face.

:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

So what would you be happy with him doing?

The GOP has had an issue reaching out to every demographic other than white males for decades. It has been a constant topic of conversation in politics.

Maybe take any one of the numerous complaints over the last 20ish years and do something.

A good start would be with voter suppression.

We had two states slapped around for it recently. So it's not like the GOP can pretend it's a made up issue.

This is pretty common sense stuff, and you've seen the conversations. Not sure why you're pretending it's not the case.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tshile said:

The GOP has had an issue reaching out to every demographic other than white males for decades. It has been a constant topic of conversation in politics.

Maybe take any one of the numerous complaints over the last 20ish years and do something.

A good start would be with voter suppression.

We had two states slapped around for it recently. So it's not like the GOP can pretend it's a made up issue.

This is pretty common sense stuff, and you've seen the conversations. Not sure why you're pretending it's not the case.

FaIr enough.  Im not willing to assign all of the issues I perceive with a party to every single person in that party with absolutism.  I read Romney's statement.  It was impressive.  His positions on other issues dont matter in that context.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

FaIr enough.  Im not willing to assign all of the issues I perceive with a party to every single person in that party with absolutism.  I read Romney's statement.  It was impressive.  His positions on other issues dont matter in that context.

I'm not assigning every single problem with the GOP to one person with absolutism. Nice try.

The GOP has had these problems for a while. Romney was, and to some degree still is, a major person to the GOP. Ryan, McConnell, et al are releasing tweets and facebook statements. Some of them are going in front of a camera for a few minutes.

None of that is hard. It's easy. It's far from impressive. Especially when you realize they all have large staffs to help them write, proof read, and re-write the statements.

What they've done is exactly nothing - they've release a statement that lets their supporters feel like they've done something, while they've done absolutely nothing.

It takes no effort or courage to condemn nazis. None. That's why Trump's inability/unwillingness to do so is so infuriating to so many. It was put up on a stand like a baseball in teeball, and the idiot couldn't even get it out of the infield.

Doing away with the dog whistles, the ingrained appeal to white supremacists and nationalists that the GOP has, retooling your party such that it actually roots out and condemns that which leads to entire states being called out for race-inspired gerrymandering.... that's hard. That would be impressive. That would mean something.

Haven't really seen it from their leadership.

Probably wont, if their core constituents considers a facebook post impressive.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2