Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Defensive Line Thread - Who makes the cut?

DC Lumber Co.

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Ben Standig‏Verified account @BenStandig 16m16 minutes ago

Gruden says he "loves" what he's seen from Terrell McClain to date. There's an adjustment coming from a different scheme in Dallas.

Things that make you go hmmmm....

Honestly? I've been working on capturing all the relevant Dline snaps this preseason (will have part 2 up of the blog series shortly, took forever - family and life), and I'm not seeing why many are so down on McClain. 

He hasn't been good, or anything, but he hasn't been terrible, either. Certainly way better than Hood. Has a few "wins" under his belt according to my method, too. 

Gruden making this statement comes to no surprise to me, though it may just be coachspeak. 

But, yeah, he does have a bunch of plays where he's simply of no impact. From that standpoint, it's a disappointment because he's getting paid what he is. 

At this point, I think both McGee and McClain are what we thought they were when signed. Rotational players and not much more. Fortunately, Allen/Taylor/Ioannidis's emergence or potential emergence may have saved us from disaster on the Dline. But even that is questionable, good play in the preseason doesn't always translate. 

Back to the Mc's. Nothing I've seen from them thus far has moved me from the position we've held that it would've been better to put the money that we did in both of them into one more impactful player. That being said, it's early and it's unfair to expect them to come in, immediately get a new defense down, and play their best. Even veteran FAs go through an adjustment period a lot of the time.

Hopefully they end up surprising us. 

Nice post, TSO.  A Concise effort. :P

I agree on the Mc's.  As much as a lot of people on here follow and anticipate FA, with people making wish lists, etc., when we sign a couple guys and everyone says "who?", you have to keep your expectations in check.  I'm hoping that maybe McClain can be a sold rotational guy.

JAllen is the real deal.  That clip where he chased down a screen? from the opposite side of the field was not something that you see ordinary DL do.  Can't believe he fell in our laps.  I'm excited to watch him grow.

I’ve not heard much about Terrell McClain and Stacy McGee, which I take is not a great sign but not an awful one either (like the bad news that emanated from the preseason practice and play of free agent defensive linemen bust signings Stephen Paea and Kendall Reyes).  Still, a more significant investment has been made in McClain (four years, $21 million) and McGee (five years, $25 million) and so my expectations are higher. Are these two projecting to be solid, impact contributors for the next two to three seasons? What should we expect in terms of their abilities to command double teams, produce tackles, sacks and hurries, minimize penalties or contribute in other ways?

You haven’t heard much about them because neither has really moved the needle. McGee has been the better of the two. As of late, he has looked more impactful. Neither have been staples on the starting units. McGee has been a rotational player. McClain has made a cameo here and there. Both started for the first time Saturday night, but it was nothing to write home about. McGee has made a little noise against the run, and has generated some pressure in nickel packages. But I like Matt Ioannidis and Jonathan Allen better in the base package, and Allen and Anthony Lanier better in the nickel. From what I can gather, people are still encouraged by the recent strides they are seeing from McGee. But they want/need to see a lot more from McClain.

I don’t think there’s any realistic chance McClain gets cut this year (though I agree with your take in this morning’s 53-man projection that he hasn’t impressed at all). According to Over the Cap, McClain got a $5 million bonus, and his $2.25 million salary this year is fully guaranteed, so he gets paid exactly the same amount (and has the same cap hit) whether he’s on the team or not this year. He would have to be shockingly bad for it to make sense to cut him.

Yeah, I didn’t say it definitely would happen. I’ve just been told by multiple people in the organization that he really needs to make up some ground. It’d really be a shame for him to eat up that cap space ($7.25 million dead cap hit, as you said) and not be on the team. But if he’s not going to be able to get on the field, what good does that do the team? The Redskins have nine guys who play the same 3-4 end/4-3 tackle position as McClain. Five of them (Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Ziggy Hood, McGee and Anthony Lanier) have all looked better. Joey Mbu and A.J. Francis have looked about the same. That’s not good.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/08/22/redskins-mailbag-mia-free-agent-signings-run-game-struggles-kirk-cousinss-play-and-more/?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.3772b892ca88

It's still very early and the scheme change for both coming from the 4-3 causing some growing pains is something I anticipated being a factor. 

I stand by the idea that they were signed with the hopes we had 50/50 shot that one of the two would be an above average starter (McGee, IMO) with the other being a solid rotational piece.  The ideal, plan A situation was always our player development producing better players than both (Hello Matt Ioannidis & Lanier) but we couldnt afford to not sign solid players given our struggles against the run last year. Allen's draft slide to us obviously couldnt have been predicted at the time of signing either.

Ive seen enough from McGee to know he will be a solid player for us and am holding out for McClain to come around if Jay is so high on him. Its just so hard to predict who the cuts are with this group. Great problem to have.

Interesting timing, coming out talking up how good McClain has been.

As some have been suspecting, there is basically nothing wrong with the Mc'S. I didn't know they were both 4-3 guys, which should buy them a little more leeway from us diehards looking for great play just 2 games into preseason.

Again, the other 4 DL surprising everyone is the story here. In almost every scenario we should like young cheap players developing well, and pushing the vets towards the sideline... it's just sooner than we all expected. They can be the new mentors. I think Hood is on the outs, unless we go with 7.

Matt Allen Phil Lanier Mc1 Mc2 | Hood is 7 | Mbu/Francis on PS.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Five of them (Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Ziggy Hood, McGee and Anthony Lanier) have all looked better.

Agree with Mike Jones on everything, but Ziggy Hood has NOT looked better. No way. He's been, by far, the worst lineman on the team this preseason, especially after Mbu totally redeemed himself this last preseason game. 

Now, he has been going against first team Oline's this entire time... so that's certainly a factor, but none of the other guys have nearly as many bad plays as him. 

Which hurts for me to say because I really like the guy, thought he looked good last season at DE, and he's a locker room leader. But McClain, on the field, has looked better. All of the DLinemen have. :/   

Unfortunately, I missed both preseason games, just seen gif's. But, by and large, as bad as the Skins have looked, the D line has probably been the highlight thus far. From good to average, which is a lot more than other units can say.

Not sure who this guy is aside from he studies film of games on twitter

Matt Ioannidis is ready to be a star in 2017... Sophomore campaign ready to dominate for this Redskins defensive line

Mark Bullock Retweeted Ben Fennell

High praise for Matt Ioannidis from Ben, who's word is as good as any. Ioannidis has been impressing beat guys too

Red bull and corn flakes can do wonders.

Just throwing it out there, suppose DL becomes a position of strength.  Yeah keep laughing, as it may already be.

Since we only use 2 DL 70% of the time, I am not sure I am going to want them blindly rotated out, as seems to be the norm now. Situation GL etc aside, and unless they are truly gassed and ineffective. I think great players almost always have high motors and should be on the field as much as possible. They only play about 30 minutes once a week.

Sure, if the backups are very close or almost as good as the starters, yeah rotate away. If not, no thanks to forced backups to me. Has anyone ever done an analysis on our 3-4 D, and graded all the DL backups our previous failed DCs rotated in as the highest priority? You'd think all modern day DL are out of shape, or the starter DLs are interchangeable with their backups, watching DCs call the game.

Ioannidis and Allen FTW!

16 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Red bull and corn flakes can do wonders.

Just throwing it out there, suppose DL becomes a position of strength.  Yeah keep laughing, as it may already be.

Since we only use 2 DL 70% of the time, I am not sure I am going to want them blindly rotated out, as seems to be the norm now. Situation GL etc aside, and unless they are truly gassed and ineffective. I think great players almost always have high motors and should be on the field as much as possible. They only play about 30 minutes once a week.

Ioannidis and Allen FTW!

I think this is a very valid point.  Much like offenses call plays to set up the opposition, defenders do it too.  A pitcher will throw a breaking ball in the dirt, just to set up the hitter for the next pitch, or pitches after that.  Coaches will call plays to give the defense a look, to set them up to fool them later.  D-linemen can / will do the same thing.  They can bait an O-linemen into cheating or biting a certain way, or they will learn tendencies to use against them later.  If we're constantly rotating guys, changing positions, moving them around, these small, but very important opportunities, or greatly diminished.  

Finally finished the tracking of the Dline against the Packers. Detailed reviews on the play of all our guys on the line so far this preseason. 

Decided to make it a thread versus a blog entry so it can generate better discussion, hopefully.

Hope you all really enjoy this! 

28 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I think this is a very valid point.  Much like offenses call plays to set up the opposition, defenders do it too.  A pitcher will throw a breaking ball in the dirt, just to set up the hitter for the next pitch, or pitches after that.  Coaches will call plays to give the defense a look, to set them up to fool them later.  D-linemen can / will do the same thing.  They can bait an O-linemen into cheating or biting a certain way, or they will learn tendencies to use against them later.  If we're constantly rotating guys, changing positions, moving them around, these small, but very important opportunities, or greatly diminished.  

Yep. Ioannidis, swim, Ioannidis club to the head, Ioannidis forklift sack!  I have heard DL talking about just that - setting up a move.

The OL never rotate, so are ripe to be set up, including stunts. Dare I think the OL welcome seeing the backups trotting out, they must laugh inside. OC's smile as well.  Say you are a guard. Would you want to face Allen the whole game, or Allen 40% of the time, the rest Francis 30% and Pipkins 30%?

On stunts, I hope we are more creative in our pass rushing this year. I feel like we have gone plain jane vanilla for far too long. Barry going aggressive, was rushing 5 in their lanes. Dallas does this move, I can't remember what its called, but a blitzing LB will attack a fellow defenders blocker, and make no effort to go at the QB.  Allowing a late developing stunt inside, as the RT is wondering who the hell blindsided him. I actually think that should be a penalty, but until then... copy it.

15 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Yep. Ioannidis, swim, Ioannidis club to the head, Ioannidis forklift sack!  I have heard DL talking about just that - setting up a move.

The OL never rotate, so are ripe to be set up, including stunts. Dare I think the OL welcome seeing the backups trotting out, they must laugh inside. OC's smile as well.  Say you are a guard. Would you want to face Allen the whole game, or Allen 40% of the time, the rest Francis 30% and Pipkins 30%?

On stunts, I hope we are more creative in our pass rushing this year. I feel like we have gone plain jane vanilla for far too long. Barry going aggressive, was rushing 5 in their lanes. Dallas does this move, I can't remember what its called, but a blitzing LB will attack a fellow defenders blocker, and make no effort to go at the QB.  Allowing a late developing stunt inside, as the RT is wondering who the hell blindsided him. I actually think that should be a penalty, but until then... copy it.

I have no idea why we don't stunt more... we have the athleticism with size on the outside to do it.  There would be a few times a game that I would literally have Allen SPRINT toward the sideline at the snap to take away the flat, have Kerrigan come around behind him.  The LT is going to instinctively step toward Allen, then try to adjust back to Kerrigan, IF Kerrigan gets hung up, Allen is a free rusher as long as he's not covered up by the TE.  WORST case scenario, Allen is in the flat covering up the RB... BEST case scenario, Kerrigan is a free rusher, and the LT is spinning like a top. 

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I have no idea why we don't stunt more...

I sometimes grade our defense vs what I see teams doing (successfully) to our own offense.  Defenses would just destroy our A gaps aggressively at the snap with tremendous effectiveness a few years back, having you know who on the run and up against the ropes.

Us? We'd rarely try, yet our D would be getting schooled. Sometimes it's ok to try to force an OL into an error. Straight rushing into them time and time again is too easy for them to defend. I know we were living in fear of a guy stunting giving up his gap allowing a huge run etc, but we were getting gouged anyways. A new OL off the street or by injury into the game, get after him with everything in the playbook! 

12 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Interesting timing, coming out talking up how good McClain has been.

As some have been suspecting, there is basically nothing wrong with the Mc'S. I didn't know they were both 4-3 guys, which should buy them a little more leeway from us diehards looking for great play just 2 games into preseason.

Again, the other 4 DL surprising everyone is the story here. In almost every scenario we should like young cheap players developing well, and pushing the vets towards the sideline... it's just sooner than we all expected. They can be the new mentors. I think Hood is on the outs, unless we go with 7.

Matt Allen Phil Lanier Mc1 Mc2 | Hood is 7 | Mbu/Francis on PS.

I think Hood is on the outs eve if we do go with seven. 

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

I know the coaches want to take it easy with Gallette given his prior injuries, but it will still be unfortunate if he can't get on the field at all for some reps during the preseason.

I want to see if he's even close to his old self, or if we should use that spot for a ST guy like Carter or Marley... I'm excited about the idea that Gallette can be even close to what he once was, but we have no evidence of that unless he gets out there... If we wait til week 1 and the dude is hardly a shadow of his former self, we might not be able to get back what we let go in his place. 

Jonathan Allen = Reggie White

Matt Ioannidis = Ndamukong Suh 

Ryan Anderson = James Harrison

Ryan Kerrigan = Julius Peppers

Zach Brown = Luke Kuechly 

Fabian Moreau = Darrelle Revis

Josh Norman = Charles Woodson

Su'a Cravens = Troy Polamalu 

The 2017 Washington Redskins will have the greatest defense of all time. :)

Archived