Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Defensive Line Thread - Who makes the cut?

DC Lumber Co.

I am going to predict that Anderson takes over for Preston sooner than later.  If only on first / run downs.  My thinking - that in my theorized more usage of the 4-3 this year, he is a better fit.  A better run stopper.

Preston has been inconsistent, per Jay last year. I haven't heard much yet to make me think otherwise this summer. Trent injured, Galette, injured, Anderon, injured.... not much competition for him. He should be ready to stop the run but I think of him more as a pass rush guy. I love his big plays but more will be expected if he is now a starter. If healthy Anderson I feel is going to be pushing for more snaps. We drafted him too high to let him ride the pine. 

We need a DL dammit. 4 studs.

Anderson Allen :headbang: Matt Kerrigan

I am not done here.

I wish a reporter would have asked Jay or Manusky why they decided to go with no true noses - instead by committee. I know that the answer would NOT be "because by committee has worked out so well the past 7 years!!!1!" And I still want them to answer why they didn't draft one like they said they would. 

I am thinking Toscalalala's mantra all DL play & learn all DL positions has Manusky thinking fresh rotation/by committee will work. But I for one hate using guys out of their best position/technique repeatedly and extensively. Sure, they can hang on for dear life and try not to get pancaked/embarrassed, but it slowly takes its toll on the overall effectiveness of the D on almost every play. All the while, running a greater risk of a blown assignment having to know every freaking one for every position.  I prefer coaches to drill down and find the best guys and scheme for this weeks matchup.  I really think lining up 5 different guys on the Eagles RG Brooks by halftime is NOT the key to victory. As is going to be a recurring theme against this year, we are going to need to be creative up front to make up for no nose. Game planning that rotating fresh guys is the key to glorious victory... um no.

It's a pain in the ass trying to project ~ 50 pure DL only line combos, but here are some other looks/ideas up front.   Philly is 3 wide basically all game, so who knows how much we see of what front. Maybe it's time to call a spade a spade - our OLBs are not DEs.

Reality check - our D is a 2-4-5 most downs.

Wave 1

Allen Ionannidis

Smith Foster Brown Kerrigan

Wave 2

McClain Lanier 

edit Anderson Foster Brown Galette

Requisite 3-4  / First play of the game

Allen McGee Ionannidis

Smith Foster Brown Kerrigan

Goal Line / SY

Allen McGee Hood McClain 

Anderson Foster Brown Kerrigan

Dime 1-3-7

Allen

Galette Kerrigan Smith

Compton

Brooks at RG is a load @ 335. Let him and McGee wrestle, or Allen shoot gaps on him. Lane and Peters are stout and lets be real should handle Kerrigan/Smith most of the game. Kelce at C and a kid maybe their Lava at LG Seumalo @ 303. I'd look to exploit Lava.Phil with Matt. Definitely try some stunts inside if the bookends have our play makers horse collared - set them up with a flurry of speed outside first.  'A' gap exploitation :headbang: should be tried every week and in the first series on Sunday. Get a helmet on the sacred Prince's chin early.  Set the tone.

I'm with you, I don't like the concept of constant rotation either.  I want beef up front, I want them angry, and I want to set a tone. 

1st play on defense I align similar to yours, but I push Smith / Kerrigan closer to the line... similar to the '5 man front' I was talking about yesterday.  Smith and Kerrigan are standing up.

Smith     Allen / McGee / Matt   Kerrigan

at the snap, i want Matt and McGee both hitting the LG as hard as they can... reverse double team style.  Wear his butt out immediately.  Let him know we know we can beat him, and have him wondering where it's coming from the rest of the game.  When this happens, Kelce is going to either block down on McGee from the side (most likely what will happen), or he's going to double Allen with the RG... assuming the RT and LT are isolated on Kerrigan and Smith.  This is where you bring Brown or Foster on a delayed blitz because the A-gap should see a window.  I dont care if we even get home, I just want to see SOMETHING to keep the Oline thinking and guessing. 

One reason for no nose is because the Skins figure they won't be in their base 3-4 a lot per game.  John Keim mentioned this a number of times last season.  The Skins averaged something like 10-15 plays in their base 3-4 per game and the rest in some variation of the nickle because of the pass heavy, 3 WR+ formations, nature of the NFL these days.  Thats why whenever Kendall Fuller is talked about he is labeled a slot corner.  So they load up on 4-3 DT's and DE's that can play NT in a pinch.  

Regardless, if a teams base defense is the 3-4 then it should have at least one true NT on its roster.  And if a NFL team is having trouble finding a true NT, like the Skins have had for the 7 years they have been a 3-4 team, then they should cut their loses and switch to the friggin 4-3.  

@OVCChairman Don't have any doubts, our LBs will be aggressively attacking from the LOS in my lineup, but I still categorize them as LBs - e.g. if a nickel back is on the LOS ready to blitz, I am not calling him a DL. Same goes for our LBs. Haslets cover 1 with 10 guys on the line? That is a not a 10-1. The confusion must end! 

Leave it up to me and I would show a 6 man front on many downs, and drop as needed.  That is really at the heart of the 3-4, the QB doesn't know which LB is coming. We can't count those chickens before they hatch, and call it a 4-3, or 5-2. None may blitz. So I base my naming of our D type 3-4, 4-3, 425 etc., based on position counts.

I am happy to see Jake on the bye 3-4 program.

BhQVYrex_bigger.jpg Paul Conner @P_ConnerJr 4h4 hours ago

The McClain/Hood/McGee vs. Allen/Ioannidis lines didn't mix groupings until 4th Qtr. Allen/Ioannidis on Nickel/pass, McG/Hood/McG on base/run. 

When #Redskins were in a base 3-4 front, DL were DE McClain, NT Hood, DE McGee. Geared to stop run. 4 man line had DT Allen and DT Ioannidis

Paul Conner is killing twitter today. I bumped here because I am giving a shout out to our new DL.

Cooley was pretty favorable to the dline (C+ to B+, I believe).  If they can stick to a B level of play and the OLBs and blitzing ILBs can continue at a high level (A/B range), this front can be a serious difference maker.  

Eagles have a pretty good oline (have some issues with one of their guards and Peters left the game), so I'm optimistic they can keep up the good play.  The secondary is helping them out as well.  Everett had a tough matchup with Ertz, but I think he can settle in, particularly against lesser TEs.

I'm curious to see how they matchup against serious running games. 

Not so optimistic about matching up to the Cowboys though...

Call me a homer here but I really like the direction of the D-line. I feel like we are a high draft pick DT away from being one of the better front 7s in football.  This could all change if Brown leaves, but if we can lock up Brown, and possibly bring in another young MLB with speed, we could be lookin really good defensively in the box. 

To continue that tangent for a moment... I think the safeties actually played well vs the run, which has been a big issue for us.  If that continues, it's one way they (and the ILBs) can help the the dline look better.  I don't think they'll be  playing many more TEs with Ertz's ability, and the dline won't face many olines better than the Eagles and qbs better at escaping than Wentz.  

Communication and the play of the front 7 were big problems for the secondary last year.  Those both looked a lot better vs the Eagles.  Let's see where they go from here.  

• 2 weeks later...
I have never seen Gabe abused with pure power like this. Who is #98 Matt Ioannidis ?

Check out the hand fighting between Jonathan Allen and one of the best guards in the league, Kelechi Osemele.

Best DT duo in football, better than Panthers, Jets, Bills, etc.

Week 1 Snaps 

Look at Column 8 and 9 for DL Snaps / %

98-M.Ioannidis WAS DL NO 48 0 0% 33 49% 15 58%
95-J.Allen WAS DL YES 47 0 0% 42 62% 5 19%
97-T.McClain WAS DL NO 33 0 0% 28 41% 5 19%
90-E.Hood WAS DL YES 33 0 0% 29 43% 4 15%
92-S.McGee WAS DL YES 31 0 0% 31 46% 0 0%

Week 2 Snaps

98-M.Ioannidis WAS DL YES 43 0 0% 28 56% 15 48%
95-J.Allen WAS DL YES 33 0 0% 29 58% 4 13%
90-E.Hood WAS DL NO 25 0 0% 19 38% 6 19%
97-T.McClain WAS DL NO 22 0 0% 18 36% 4 13%
92-S.McGee WAS DL NO 19 0 0% 19 38% 0 0%
72-A.Lanier WAS DL NO 0 0 0% 0 0% 0 0%

You can see a slight trend of Manusky using our 2 studs more, our JAGs less.  Matt is getting lots of teams snaps - column 10.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I REALLY like what I've been seeing, and @RandyHolt it looks like Manusky agrees with us that we need to get Ioan and Allen together on the field.  I hope this continues, because the geeky side of me is really excited about this front 7

I love it. The hand fighting gif collapsing pocket sack is a thing of beauty.  Look at Carr swallowed up there!

I have long argued you get a helmet on a chin early and QBs often wilt. They check out and live for another day. Pressure early means pleasure late for us fans. Carr was sacked in his first 2 pass attempts, and needed garbage time to get his offense 100 yards on the day :ols:

Getting consistent pressure from the front 4 is a game changer folks. It may have just been random luck that our guys just had their guys numbers and it was a 1 week thing, but my gut is saying it's maybe more than that, and unlike the past 20 years where our team gives us a glimmer of hope early in the year.  Dare I think its from the talent level this time, not scheme nor luck that we saw Sunday night. IIRC, Manusky had no scheme or game plan? or something to that effect.

As far as I am concerned our big 3 OLBs are DL and will be discussed here. Another game changer is a healthy Galette coming in off the bench. He appears to be starter material to me. I have been ranting about unneeded rest for DL but these speed outside guys if anyone, could use an occasional breather IF the backup is in the same class of studliness.  Kerrigan 3 TFL, I cannot recall the last time that happened.

Heck Preston Smith may be our MVP on defense thus far.

@98ORAKPO98 Thanks much for the well deserved bump and kick ass gifs. You always keep your keen eye on the DL for us.

@XxSpearheadxXThere does seem to be great chemistry in the front 4. I look forward to watching them in action when inevitably they will be doing more stunting and other scheming up to get pressure on QBs.

I seem to remember some karate chop type drills in camp. It looks like those paid off.

Allen is a total stud. I cannot believe he fell to us, that we actually took him, and didn't botch it.

Really pleased with how the DL has looked so far. This unit is young and deep. Ioannidis and Allen inside seem to be a formidable duo. And just think, this is only year 1 with Tomsula.. just imagine what he will do in years 2 and 3 with these guys. What if Allen turns into our unblockable Justin Smith type?

We've got the horses to get after people and deep enough to rotate everyone in and keep them all fresh. Allen, Ioannidis, Galette, Kerrigan, Smith, Anderson and the rest of the crew are a formidable dl, especially if they all keep rotating in and out making plays. Collapsing pockets is a refreshing change from the doldrums of the past decade+, it's nice to see. The best part about it is many of the contributors on defense are drafted guys, not exclusively expensive free agents.

We arguably played the best OL in the league and our DL made them look pedestrian.  How good is KC's OL?  Do we know?  The interesting thing about Alex Smith and Carr is they both like the underneath passes and quick release.  But no way does Alex Smith throw as quick as Carr, so if their OL.....nah lets not play that game.  Lets see what we see Monday.  :)

My understanding (can't recall when I read/heard it) was that Allen and Ioannidas were playing in nickel and McClain, Hood and McGee in our base 3-4... anyone know if this has been consistent?  (obviously not exact since Allen and Ioannidas have different snap counts)

Interesting that (IIRC) the Macs came from 4-3 teams and Hood didn't seem to play well at Nose last year... and yet hear we are.  

Very impressed with this front so far.  Gotta say, Kerrigan and Smith have been really impressive on the outside.  Smith because he's been consistent, and Kerrigan because he's been playing the run like a boss.  Ioannidas has been the most surprising obviously.  I was never down on him, but I'd never have guessed he'd be at this level.  

2 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

Raiders Game Snap Count of DL

Matt Ioannidis     28

Jonathon Allen    22

Terrell McClain    21

Ziggy Hood         18

Stacey McGee    17

http://www.redskins.com/news/blog/article-1/Snap-Counts-Redskins-Raiders-2017-Regular-Season-Week-3/0ea0e39d-b379-40d4-8d05-7bd49ccbbf0c

WOW I have to eat crow, the backups indeed got lots of reps. Thanks for posting.

I still cannot recall seeing Mc* nor Hood. Possibly, because none of the 3 registered a single entry in the box score. Or maybe because I was head down perusing the best ESGDT in a decade :ols:

Kerrigan had a monster game, racking up 3 TFL on 42 snaps, far more snaps than any other of the OLB/DL. Anderson quietly had 24 which was 2nd most.

Defensive stats from Raiders' game. No tackles or assists from Hood, McGee, or McClain. Nice to see that 5 of the top 6 in tackles were from our LB's. Also, theres a tweet out there that of the 19 completions Carr made, only one was for more than 10 yards. 

Defense T-A SCK INT FF
Z. Brown 5-6 0.0 0 0
R. Kerrigan 4-0 1.0 0 0
M. Spaight 3-6 0.0 0 0
R. Anderson 2-0 0.0 0 0
J. Norman 2-1 0.0 0 0
P. Smith 2-0 1.0 0 0
B. Breeland 1-2 0.0 0 0
W. Compton 1-0 0.0 0 0
Q. Dunbar 1-0 0.0 0 0
K. Fuller 1-2 0.0 1 1
M. Ioannidis 1-1 0.5 0 0