Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Defensive Line Thread - Who makes the cut?

DC Lumber Co.

3 hours ago, carex said:

I agree with Skinny21 on the roster situation.  As for Randy Holt's 4-3 I'm afraid we get run over quite a bit and I'm not sure we'd do well with Anderson as non pass rushing LB.  I feel like we'd be dink and dunked all over the field as teams get four yards a rush and complete tons of short passes

We usually have 4 hands in the dirt so I am not going to fight it any longer!  If you put a nose out there I will say the O will go pass happy. 

I am curious, who's your best 11 for all situation use, or who are best 11 period.  Since we are rarely in 3-4 skip the nose. Feel free to copy paste my post and edit. 

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

We usually have 4 hands in the dirt so I am not going to fight it any longer!  If you put a nose out there I will say the O will go pass happy. 

I am curious, who's your best 11 for all situation use, or who are best 11 period.  Since we are rarely in 3-4 skip the nose. Feel free to copy paste my post and edit. 

I don't claim to be a guy who knows everything, I just know some individual weaknesses and the way offenses tend to behave.  Neither Gallette nor Kerrigan have the size to be an every down LE

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If only I had twitter, I'd ask Scot if they followed his plan for free agency as well, specifically the two D lineman.

I got annoyed, I missed him by like 10 minutes twice in a row so I've stopped trying. :ols: 

I was trying to ask him about his thoughts on Preston Smith. You could see he stopped answering questions literally 10 or 20 minutes before I'd tweet mine out. 

Anywho, I'll try again and ask about that if I happen to be on when he goes on a twitter rampage. Seems like he only answers tweets that are made during that period of time. 

55 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

It's gotta be McClain judging by twitter. Lot of talk there about the dead cap space that we'd be stuck with were he to get cut. 

That really sucks if it's true. I think I'd rather eat dead cap space than just keep a guy over someone else because of his contract.  :/

The good thing is, it looks like there would only be a $7.25 dead cap hit!! lol...

The defensive line could be dominant this year, as Allen, Taylor, and Ioannidis look to impose their will on the National Football League...

http://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/04/redskins-dt-matt-ioannidis-showing-promise-during-training-camp/amp/

“Matt Ioannidis has been one of the better defensive players here so far,” Lewis said. “Yes, it’s early but you can see he has a different motor this year, seem like he is in great shape and his mental approach to the game is there”.

Ioannidis has been like a heat seeking missile consistently one of the first to flock to the football. He has shown tremendous growth in quickly recognizing where the ball is and making a play.

http://bigeasybeliever.com/2016/01/27/defensive-players-shine-in-front-of-saints-scouts/

Meanwhile, Temple DT Matt Ioannadis turned a lot of heads with his performance that caught the attention of all NFL front office personnel in attendance. 

Ionnadis was disruptive, and showed his constant ability to get off the ball and penetrate through the line of scrimmage; and displayed impressive power at the point of attack. 

The 6-foot-4 Ioannadis weighed in at 303 pounds, up 11 pounds from his last game; and was as active as he was in three years at college where he totaled 30 tackles for loss. Extremely powerful, he dominated the practice. The only times he was really neutralized was when he was double-teamed. 

In 1-on-1 drills, Ioannadis (pronounced eye-an-NYE-dis — and yes, it’s Greek in origin) was in the process of destroying another interior OL. Throughout his career at Temple, he had moments where it appeared he could take over a game on the inside. But, yesterday according to observers, he actually DID that. 

Ioannidis showed quickness and blew up some carries by being quick off the snap and using a swim move to burst into the backfield. He most definitely raised his Draft stock yesterday, and could possibly sneak into the 2nd Round, up from his earlier 3rd Roind projection coming into the week of practices leading up to Saturday’s contest.

https://www.todayspigskin.com/nfc/washington-redskins/redskins-think-ioannidis-can-contribute-16/amp/

During his days at Temple, Matt Ioannidis was one of the most disruptive forces in college football and a defensive lineman who made everyone around him play better.

Ioannidis occupied the attention of opponents to the point that he created lanes to the quarterback for his teammates.

During the Senior Bowl, however, Ioannidis pushed around guys from the bigger schools like a bully on the block.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/matthew-ioannidis?id=2555240

Whether lined up outside or inside, his power and hustle impact nearly every play. 

Ioannidis can help plug that leaky hole in their defense. He's a bully in the trenches with promising upside. --Mark Dulgerian

Can match pure power with just about anyone on the field and carries almost no bad weight on his frame. Grows roots and refuses to budge against many double teams he faced. Hard to run at his gap. Can push and pull blockers and unhinge from point of attack when its time to tackle. Plays with quick reaction time off the snap and gets hands into blockers quickly. Generally good knee bend when battling the man in front of him. Can get to shoulder of blocker and get him leaning and then uses club/hump move to knock him off balance and attack the vacated position. Powerful base and very rarely off his feet. Can power through redirect blocks and maintain a path for the ball. Has good feel for screen plays and chases them down down with great intensity. Will occasionally show a spin move that is reasonably effective to the left more than to the right. Uses violent powerful clubbing movement to prevent blockers from staying locked in on their block. One of the unquestioned leaders of the team.

Muscle shark who never shrinks in the face of physicality or doing the dirty work that needs to get done.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/244591/after-chat-with-magician-phil-taylors-retirement-talk-vanished

Gruden said Taylor’s recent play reminds him of his earlier day.

“He looks very similar, he really does,” said Gruden, now Taylor’s coach in Washington. “I know what a force he can be at nose. He was tough to deal with, he really was. I think his body is finally back to where he feels really good. He’s moving around, he’s active, he’s strong, so I like where he is right now. He’s just got to continue to maintain it.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/3/14/14828682/jonathan-allen-scouting-report-breakdown-2017-nfl-draft

But on the overwhelming majority of plays I watched, Allen was whupping somebody's ass. That's the kind of player I want on my team, period.

Because he is so position diverse as well as scheme diverse, I can honestly say all 32 teams would benefit from drafting this kid. I will add that it would be a mistake for any of those 32 teams to pass on him if he is still on the board when they have a pick, if you get my drift.

And that brings me back to the Allen/Garrett comparison. I have to admit I might have been wrong about something in Garrett's breakdown.

Yeah, I can't believe it either.

I assumed that there wouldn't be a player in this class who was so much better than Garrett that the fans of the team that did draft Garrett would end up coveting the other guy.

After watching Allen's tape our lie detector determined that was a lie!

Allen was just so good in so many different spots, that I just feel like this guy is destined for greatness, the same way I thought Donald was destined for greatness. Allen doesn't have to worry about being labeled "too short" like they did with Donald. I don't know anybody who would say 6'3 is too short to play anywhere on the defensive line in this day and age. In some ways Allen should also benefit from what Donald has done so far in his career. A lot of teams are probably second guessing passing on him a couple years back.

*cough* Cleveland *cough*

Maybe, just maybe, those teams will think twice about making the same mistake again.

Of course Allen isn't the same kinda athlete that Donald is. Allen's motor, on the other hand, consistently runs way higher than Donald's did on his college tape.

There just aren't very many boxes that that Allen doesn't check off for what most teams are looking for in a defensive lineman. He has the size, ability, and technique that most defensive line coaches dream of getting in one player.

11 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Are we ever in a 4-3-4 (maybe SY/GL), or do we always go from 3-4 straight to 4-2-5? 

I want proper depth charts for our most common looks. I won't hold my breath. What do they say, if you want something done, you gotta do it yourself.  Since we are in the 3-4 the least, why bother with it as the template for all depth charts. The 4-3 is back, baby.

RHs Reality 4 hands in the dirt depth chart template - AKA the best 11. 

DE Ryan Kerrigan      
DT Jonathan Allen      

DT

Matt Ioannidis    

DE Junior Galette      
LB Ryan Anderson      
MLB  Mason Foster      
LB Zach Brown      
CB Bashaud Breeland      
CB Josh Norman      
SS Su'a Cravens      
FS D.J.I Swearinger    

Goal Line Taylor for Galette

Nickel Fuller for Anderson

Dime Moreau for Foster

First Fresh DL - Lanier.

Swap Foster for Spaight and add Preston Smith to the pass rush rotation and this looks legit :)

So far, it seems like you can feel the difference with Tomsula as the coach- all d-line players seem to be excelling.  Different feel altogether.  Who stays?

Allen

Ioannidis (sp?)

Taylor

McGee

Hood

McClain

Lanier

(Mbu?)

Also want to randomly mention that Ryan Anderson probably hated watching Aaron Rogers break contain on his side of the field (Preston Smith blew it).  If Anderson is there, that's not happening.  And I don't think he's that inept in coverage... pass rusher in the sub package, brings power, attitude and alpha.

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Sooo....you're saying....what, exactly? lol

if the difference between the seventh and eighth DL is just money then keeping a guy to save cap space then he won't be affecting the roster much

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Who the hell thought any of us would be using the word "exciting" about our DLine back in April lol...

No kidding, right? If anything it would have strangely been that continued optimism about our FA additions.

We've been hearing about Lanier, Ioan took a major jump that we couldn't have guessed (I hope he doesn't get tested lol), Phil Taylor? Local guy come home? Great story. 

Matt Ioannidis with some presumed back-ups and is the only one creating. Sheds block, cant get there but looks a step above others.

Great effort by Matt Ioannidis putting heat on QB on screen but look at Jonathan Allen, who went outside on backside and ran play down. Hot.

Ioannidis club move looks like a Mike Tyson left hook, or a Grizzly Bear paw smack down to its prey.
Looks like J.Allen & P.Smith were supposed to stunt here. Smith goes inside but Allen gets mugged, pinned inside, then 94 held #Redskins

t's prey.

Mark Bullock
Might have gone unnoticed on this slant, but both Allen and Ioannidis had good interior rushes to force quick throw.

This was another nice play for Ioannidis. Withstands initial double team, locates RB and disengages to make tackle.

Paul Conner
Paul Conner @P_ConnerJr

On this next play, Ioannadis gets great pressure again, if Preston stayed outside instead of stunting in he would have sacked Rodgers fleeing from Ioannidis pressure
Looks like J.Allen & P.Smith were supposed to stunt here. Smith goes inside but Allen gets mugged, pinned inside, then 94 held #Redskins

Do we know what our remaining cap space situation is for the season? I know we like to go into the season with a little cushion, but I wonder if we could even eat McClain's 7.5 comfortably if he doesn't come around soon. I wonder if its a scheme fit thing for him, to be honest.

I think McGee has shown more than enough promise to be a lock, especially in base/run situations. He also has some pass rush upside, and can play Nose (both traits that McClain lacks). I like him on the roster a lot.

It really comes down to the total number we keep, the main decisions being McClain, Ziggy, Mbu, and Francis. I wouldn't be upset if McClain/Ziggy are replaced by Mbu, Francis, or surprise-cut free agents after the big 90 to 53-man cutdown. 

McClain has the cap number on his side. Ziggy gets heaps of praise from Gruden as a leader on the team, or at least to the DL group. Which is more valuable?

My wish list on this front would be:

A.) Mbu/Francis + FA 5-Tech kept instead of McClain+Hood [loser of Mbu/Francis to PS]

B.) FA 5-Tech(x2) kept instead of McClain+Hood [both Mbu and Francis to PS]

C.) Ziggy/McClain [loser is released] + Mbu/Francis [loser sent to PS]

I just really hope we don't see Ziggy at NT for a single regular season snap if he does stick around. Its the main reason I want Mbu or Francis to show some ability at End or in nickel to earn a spot on the 53. I want Mbu or Francis playing over Hood if Phil Taylor misses any time for injury. Alternatively we keep one or both on the PS to call up if needed.

If we could go 3 deep on gamedays with our NT depth, IE:

1) Taylor,

2) McGee

3) Mbu/Francis 

...we can really avoid Phil wearing down late in games and maximize the utility of the DL who dress on gameday.

If Tomsula is forced to keep 6 to make room elsewhere on the roster I could see us going with the most versatile 6 that have best shown the ability to play every position/technique on the line. It would make sense, given the heavy rotation/lack of depth chart from Tomsula in the preseason (to figure out who those guys are)

5 hours ago, freakofthesouth said:

Also want to randomly mention that Ryan Anderson probably hated watching Aaron Rogers break contain on his side of the field (Preston Smith blew it).  If Anderson is there, that's not happening.  And I don't think he's that inept in coverage... pass rusher in the sub package, brings power, attitude and alpha.

Anderson played so many duel threat QB's in college, he should be an expert. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/football-insider/wp/2017/08/06/three-takeaways-from-sundays-redskins-training-camp/

Second-year pro Matt Ioannidis displayed great improvement from last year as he won his matchups with Brandon Scherff three different times Sunday. Ioannidis bull-rushed the third-year Pro Bowl guard into the backfield and into the quarterback twice. Last year, Ioannidis didn’t have the strength to contend with Scherff or many of his other veteran teammates.

So, who wins DPOY, Allen or Ioannidis? :)

Ioanndis really has improved in his get-off, quickness in addition to strength. Just did a spin move on lauvao to get to QB.

http://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/30/notes-from-day-3-of-redskins-training-camp/amp/

2. DT Matt Ioannidis looks much improved from his rookie campaign. The second year player out of Temple has consistently been one of the first defensive linemen around the football over the first three days of camp. Yesterday was no exception as Ioannidis pancaked offensive lineman Arie Kuondgjio on one occasion and was consistently stuffing the run throughout the day. He has been a pleasant surprise worth watching as camp and the preseason progresses.

Archived