Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Defensive Line Thread - Who makes the cut?

DC Lumber Co.

7 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Good call.  Where the hell is he?  He was/is cranky, but provides balance.  Morneblade, get busy!  Hail

Balance in what way exactly? He's probably waiting for Taylor to get hurt to chime in and say I told you so. He was convinced that hell would freeze over before Tomsula could "make" a Nose tackle from our scrap heap of terrible big men.

6 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm hoping by week 1 our starting DL is Hood, Taylor, and Allen. I think that's our best lineup right now, and probably what the coaches will ultimately go with.  

You think so? I agree on Taylor and Allen but I think McGee has shown more than Ziggy thus far

18 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

... so we can't be caught as off guard.

We got caught off guard last night in the first quarter. 3rd and 5, McGee jogging off. 

Rodgers may be the master at getting 12 mans, and him allowed to target it reaffirms my 'why you need to grant the QB powers at the line' theme of late to be our best. It ended up being a long TD drive that would have been a potential back breaker in a big game. Game changer on a rather innocent play. It's McGee's fault sure, but if we don't sprint him off, Rodgers stays in hurry up and exposes our DL that we don't even want on the field. Basically telling the other team who we don't like much. Guess what, sprinting 3-4 guys off, they'll get gassed doing so. It all adds up with our largest players. .

I fear the only answer is run off the field faster. It will probably never happen, but I want Manusky to find his best 11 for all situations and use it heavily, or for when games are in the fold against a team that uses HU. Instead of worrying about getting a backup into or out of the game, focus on winning using your best players, and it starts with the DL, who are the most specialized 3-4 guys out there. It's like DCs are coaching under the philosophy that most of his starters lack stamina, and his defense cannot be effective without fresh players. Dare I think players have never been in better shape.

I will say it now, I don't want Allen jogged on and off the field until its obvious we should e.g. a backup proves he is better than him.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

We got caught off guard last night in the first quarter. 3rd and 5, McGee jogging off. 

Rodgers may be the master at getting 12 mans, and him allowed to target it reaffirms my 'why you need to grant the QB powers at the line' theme of late to be our best. It ended up being a long TD drive that would have been a potential back breaker in a big game. Game changer on a rather innocent play. It's McGee's fault sure, but if we don't sprint him off, Rodgers stays in hurry up and exposes our DL that we don't even want on the field. Basically telling the other team who we don't like much. Guess what, sprinting 3-4 guys off, they'll get gassed doing so. It all adds up with our largest players. .

I fear the only answer is run off the field faster. It will probably never happen, but I want Manusky to find his best 11 for all situations and use it heavily, or for when games are in the fold against a team that uses HU. Instead of worrying about getting a backup into or out of the game, focus on winning using your best players, and it starts with the DL, who are the most specialized 3-4 guys out there. It's like DCs are coaching under the philosophy that most of his starters lack stamina, and his defense cannot be effective without fresh players. Dare I think players have never been in better shape.

I will say it now, I don't want Allen jogged on and off the field until its obvious we should e.g. a backup proves he is better than him.

Heard about that. I caught the second half. McGee was the one we were just wondering if he was lazy and fat because the coaches asked him to be or if he is just lazy and fat. I guess we know. 

Rodgers doing that in a preseason game is nothing but arrogance. He should have saved that **** for the regular season. It's actually a blessing he did that for us.

Allen is 17 years old. That child should be running everywhere. With joy damn it.

14 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Yes he did. He got a sack.

Joe T called it a swim move, only he wasn't blocked. He wasn't blocked because we blitzed, which I hope is a sign of things to come. Joe corrected himself. But he still made a nice tackle after the QB tried to juke him.

53 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

The BS of that play is that GB was not even set at the snap. At worst it should have been off-setting penalties. 

It was called on instant replay and I'm not sure that them not being set is a penalty that can be called on replay.  which means any team could get away with that any time. 

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Joe T called it a swim move, only he wasn't blocked. He wasn't blocked because we blitzed, which I hope is a sign of things to come. Joe corrected himself. But he still made a nice tackle after the QB tried to juke him.

That's wildly exciting.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's wildly exciting.

I thought you missed the game, and may have been interested. Of course the box score doesn't tell the story on a free man. 

Regardless, a nose getting a sack is a rare thing in these parts, and Phil certainly seemed excited. I loved his sack dance.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

I thought you missed the game, and may have been interested. Of course the box score doesn't tell the story on a free man. 

Regardless, a nose getting a sack is a rare thing in these parts, and Phil certainly seemed excited. I loved his sack dance.

I'm definitely interested. I tuned in at 8:00 left in the 3rd.

I'd watch it right now if I could.

13 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

locals on this team, and even more if you count guys who just grew up fans of the Skins. If there was a stat for the percent of NFL players that grew up in the area/rooted for the team they play for, I'd be shocked if the Redskins weren't #1

If not them then Dallas

It was interesting to hear Casserly say that he thinks Spaight would be his starter inside. Maybe he was just a crush when in college and is still rambling on about him  I wonder who Charlie would start alongside him - I can no longer keep track of who is Mike and Mo. It seems like injuries had been the big story with Spaight. 

Chris Carter appears to be this years Bates.

7 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It was interesting to hear Casserly say that he thinks Spaight would be his starter inside. Maybe he was just a crush when in college and is still rambling on about him  I wonder who Charlie would start alongside him - I can no longer keep track of who is Mike and Mo. It seems like injuries had been the big story with Spaight. 

Chris Carter appears to be this years Bates.

I know it's important who starts (believe me, I do).  But that's why I harp so much on The Nose Guard thing.  A good Nose keeps those bulldozer Guards off our 'Backers, allowing them to plug those holes.  A top quality Nose Man would eat up Offensive Lineman allowing our Second Level to shine AND make plays himself.  

Yes, I"m fixated on who gets the nod for those reasons.

1 hour ago, Diehard Otis said:

I know it's important who starts (believe me, I do).  But that's why I harp so much on The Nose Guard thing.  A good Nose keeps those bulldozer Guards off our 'Backers, allowing them to plug those holes.  A top quality Nose Man would eat up Offensive Lineman allowing our Second Level to shine AND make plays himself.  

Yes, I"m fixated on who gets the nod for those reasons.

Everyone wants a good nose. We all know what a nose does. What's that got to do with who starts at ILB?

Mike- Mason Mo- Brown

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Everyone wants a good nose. We all know what a nose does. What's that got to do with who starts at ILB?

Mike- Mason Mo- Brown

My point is that I'm more focused on The Nose than I am The Linebackers.  To me, that is the bigger question mark.

Archived