Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Defensive Line Thread - Who makes the cut?

DC Lumber Co.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/32093/junior-galette-off-to-good-start-in-redskins-camp-but-still-faces-long-road

defensive lineman Matt Ioannidis has looked bigger and stronger at end. He's done a nice job using that power to win battles, and he has a knack for finding the ball. Former general manager Scot McCloughan loved him last year, partly for his mindset. It's a good start for Ioannidis; where he takes it from here is up to him.

I am thinking the "problem" with McClain or McGee is simply the emergence of Taylor, Ioannidis, Lanier, and the selection of Allen. That there is really no problem at all, and those 2 are as advertised, or close.

There are only <2.5 spots (3 when in base, 2 all other downs), and we have those 4 hungry guys, while the Mc's are already fed. Fat cat vets, or maybe vets that know better than going 100% all summer long.  Part of football is staying healthy.

Throw in Mbu showing flashes, Ziggy's "Stardust" vet leader status, and then easy to see why the McNoobs are suddenly close to the bubble.

I'd keep whichever Mc is a better nose over the other if forced to choose one. Or say thank you to Hood, and hope for Allen to take over leadership duties - leading by example. The battle may come down to McClain vs Hood.... in which case the cap must be considered.

38 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I am thinking the "problem" with McClain or McGee is simply the emergence of Taylor, Ioannidis, Lanier, and the selection of Allen. That there is really no problem at all, and those 2 are as advertised, or close.

Agree.  we got these guys before Johnathan Allen was gift wrapped to us in the draft.  Overpaid depth isn't ideal, but its still better than overpaid, underperforming starters.  I think its still a net win, and were still trending upwards with them on the roster, for insurance purposes if nothing else

1 minute ago, Reaper Skins said:

Agree.  we got these guys before Johnathan Allen was gift wrapped to us in the draft.  Overpaid depth isn't ideal, but its still better than overpaid, underperforming starters.  I think were still better off with them on the roster, for insurance purposes if nothing else

I don't want to throw away money, but I also don't want to throw away a roster spot.  What if Mbu continues to show promise?  We can't keep 8 DL.  Might not even be able to keep 7.

My current depth chart is slanted towards defense with 26 guys vs 24 offense.  We've still got some awkward cuts.  Chris Carter, Josh Harvey-Clemons, Will Blackmon, Joshua Holsey or Quinton Dunbar, Martrell Spaight.  Not all of them can make it.  DeAngelo Hall on PUP helps a bit.

42 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Well, that's one way to look at it and hopefully the case.

But it's never a good look when the first guys you brought in and gave GTD $ to in FA are on the outside looking in. 

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Well, that's one way to look at it and hopefully the case.

But it's never a good look when the first guys you brought in and gave GTD $ to in FA are on the outside looking in. 

We know free agents are often bad investments (or simply overpaid), and that throwing money at long standing problems is but a punchers chance of fixing all that ails us (No proper Nose. very few DL picks over the years, and all DL now expected to excel in all positions / techniques across the line).

Remember that when investing money in 3-4 ends, there is really nothing exciting we should be seeing out of them. If we do, an OL missed an assignment, or that they are closer to being FA steals. Of all the positions on the field, I am thinking non pass rushing DL is the hardest to grade as fans.

Dave Butz types. I still laugh remembering St Louis after losing him, running right at him on 4th and 1s. Multiple times. Otherwise, we didn't really notice him, but he did yeomans work inside.

It would be a first if 2 FA's we targeted at the same position are bubble players.  But no one predicted any 1 of the 4 dominating for us, let alone all 4 of them. A pleasant surprise. Let's not worry about dead money / cap space. We have always found away around these petty issues.  Restructure one contract and all problems are solved.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

you do realized this was a screen pass right?

That's one of the best plays I've seen our defense make in a very long time. Allen breaking off to catch the back was a thing of beauty. Full play was in the twitter thread.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

No, they're not good and that is the problem. They have a lot more competition than they thought they would have and they can't hang. That's very disappointing. We tried to get some talent in there, bidding on Campbell, but nope, we went with two bargains and it's going to bite us. It's the same way we've tried addressing safety for years. By plugging back ups in and hoping they blossom. It's dumb.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's one of the best plays I've seen our defense make in a very long time. Allen breaking off to catch the back was a thing of beauty. Full play was in the twitter thread.

No, they're not good and that is the problem. They have a lot more competition than they thought they would have and they can't hang. That's very disappointing. We tried to get some talent in there, bidding on Campbell, but nope, we went with two bargains and it's going to bite us. It's the same way we've tried addressing safety for years. By plugging back ups in and hoping they blossom. It's dumb.

Yeah you can see Allen break off and hit another gear but it looked like it was an example of how the pass rushed worked, and it was designed screen... just mentioning that it might not be the best example of how Ioan got the QB, when it clearly was designed he would be released.  Not an implication, just wasnt sure it was the best example. 

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Yeah you can see Allen break off and hit another gear but it looked like it was an example of how the pass rushed worked, and it was designed screen... just mentioning that it might not be the best example of how Ioan got the QB, when it clearly was designed he would be released.  Not an implication, just wasnt sure it was the best example. 

Nah man, I saw what you were doing and you were right. haha

4 minutes ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

Click on it

I did... Ioan was released and almost got to the QB as he clearly was hitting a screen... the whole O-line released and went to block downfield.  Allen took off toward the ball carrier and a step and a half into it, the video recycled. 

To your original point, I do like that lineup along the D-line... I really want to see Ioan and Allen together, this wasn't trying to argue your point, just to say it was a designed screen and the O-line is designed to release. 

Just now, OVCChairman said:

I did... Ioan was released and almost got to the QB as he clearly was hitting a screen... the whole O-line released and went to block downfield.  Allen took off toward the ball carrier and a step and a half into it, the video recycled. 

I thought you meant screen pass as in frozen screenshot and not a video. Misunderstood you my bad, yes I realize it's a screen pass to the running back, but Ioannidis and Allen still were disruptive on this play none the less, as well as many others. 

42 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I am going to wait to see them fail my eye test before I proclaim them not good. My thinking, its close to impossible for their game to fall off a cliff short of injury / out of shape.  I have yet to see specific plays that concern me e.g. getting driven backwards repeated, other than McGee jogging off and getting burned by hurry up.

Remember, one can only expect ~1 tackle per game from a 3-4 end.   Kedric went an entire year with no tackles and was back the next year as a starter. 

I will concede that McThey may not be excelling in all roles and techniques, but then its simple, Tomsula can dial back and just use them to their strengths.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Kedric went an entire year with no tackles and was back the next year as a starter. 

Did you just use Kedric Golston as a positive comparison? Things like this, is why Jumbo will never make me a mod, cause you'd be outta here. :ols:

I agree that the McReplacements are similar to Golston though, in that they're the kind of players that make the back end of a roster what it is and most fans outside of their own teams roster have no idea who the player is.

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

Extend Z.Brown (or T.Pryor) to free up some cap space. Can we keep the positive signings and toss the lesser?

IIRC, "freeing up space" is usually restructuring an existing big fat contract, by converting term to guaranteed money or bonuses, or some stunt that "violates the spirit of the NFL" which is reserved for teams that have a boat load of cash.

Yep I am on board with extending Pryor even with a 50% drop rate / target thus far.

We definitely don't want to keep lessor players, but toss em only when you have too, and clearly have someone better. I am not convinced just yet that Mbu Hood or  Francis are better than the Mc's.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

IIRC, "freeing up space" is usually restructuring an existing big fat contract, by converting term to guaranteed money or bonuses, or some stunt that violates the spirit of the NFL reserved for teams that have a boat load of cash.

Yep I am on board with extending Pryor even with a 50% drop rate / target thus far.

We definitely don't want to keep lessor players, but toss em only when you have too, and clearly have someone better. I am not convinced just yet that Mbu Hood or  Francis are better than the Mc's.

You're right, there's not a lot of fat to trim off of either contract. Browns contract is less than 2 mill, and Pryors is only 6. I was just hoping there would be an opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone and shore up some talent for future years

Cutting McClain will hurt us too bad, not so much this year, but next year. That would be $7.5M of unused cap that we won't be able to carry over to next year. As everyone knows, we have quite a few players on the final years of their deals, so holding onto that $7.5M is imperative. As much as he may not deserve to make the team, he's a lock. 

Cincy will be a decent litmus test for McClain as well as the entire DL. They lost two or three of their best OLinemen this offseason, so I expect to beat them up in the trenches.

Archived