Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo: A week with the Hogs 2.0

MattFancy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/a-week-with-hogs-20-redskins-o-line-does-yoga-eats-vegan-and-trains-insanely-hard/2017/07/21/39a6a584-6c9b-11e7-b9e2-2056e768a7e5_story.html?utm_term=.b4bb09385bb7

As one of the NFL’s best offensive lines over the past two seasons and a critical — if perhaps overlooked — driver in the team’s recent offensive turnaround, these eclectic personalities are attempting to establish their own aura, while drawing inspiration from one of the best units in NFL history.

“I tagged a 2.0 on to it, because I didn’t want people to think we were trying to emulate the Hogs and say we had as much success or we were as good as they were,” Williams said. “But we wanted to pay homage to them and let them know that’s what we’re chasing. We’re chasing their greatness, and we acknowledge that they were great, and we acknowledge we want to be just like them — if not better.”

Williams invited all 15 Redskins linemen to his offseason home, and all but five took him up on it. The rarity of an offensive lineman camp doesn’t escape Williams, who has organized the logistics the past two years. He noticed how quarterbacks often got together with their wide receivers and tight ends during the offseason to work on things such as timing and familiarity. But the same wasn’t true for offensive lines, where continuity is just as important, if not more so.

I really like what this OL is starting to be come. Trent has been a great leader for this team. Man, reading this is getting me pumped for the season to get here.

Damn...used up my WaPo articles for the month..."obviously you love great journalism" - No, I just like the coverage of my chosen NFL team.

Anyway, curious as to the 5 of the 15 that did not show up.  I assume all starters or 2nd string were there?

21 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

Damn...used up my WaPo articles for the month..."obviously you love great journalism" - No, I just like the coverage of my chosen NFL team.

Anyway, curious as to the 5 of the 15 that did not show up.  I assume all starters or 2nd string were there?

They didn't say who the 5 missing were, but one of them was Scherff.

Cool article.  Kind of a weird decision to end it on a downer though Confused smiley 7

"Williams and the rest of Hogs 2.0 weren’t ready to call it a night yet. While they pinpointed their next location and hopped into black cars, Williams said he still planned to make it to the gym for the unit’s optional 10:30 a.m. workout. At the latest, he thought he would arrive at about 11 a.m.

Friday, July 14

At 11:30 a.m., 39 people were at O Athletik, not a single Hog in sight."

30 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Scherff was noticeably absent from the pics.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about a vegan left tackle.  We'll see how long that lasts, as he broke near the end there.

Well we Vegans are not sure how we feel about insecure folks who have an issue with us.

I'm sure Trent went Vegan for his health, I hope he stays because it is the right and ethical thing to do.

3 minutes ago, scruffylookin said:

Well we Vegans are not sure how we feel about insecure folks who have an issue with us.

I'm sure Trent went Vegan for his health, I hope he stays because it is the right and ethical thing to do.

My point was more or less that he'd be the first left tackle or O-lineman in general I've ever heard of that doesn't eat meat.  Jordan Reed for example, tried and stopped, because he was losing too much weight and he's merely a tight end.

Feel free to continue being right and more ethical than most people. 

20 minutes ago, scruffylookin said:

Scheriff can keep TW supplied with venison. It's low fat, free range and organic.

How on Earth does a 320# football player take in enough protein to maintain muscle mass on a vegan diet???  Beans???  That's kind of counterproductive, if you get my wind....  I could maybe see if he also ate eggs, but even then, nothing packs on the protein like animal flesh, and if you've got the really (expensive) healthy kind like grass-fed venison or bison, poultry, or go for the fishies, you're going to get a lot of nutrients with little junk.

Ok, it says "Kouandjio going full vegan and Williams committing to a pescatarian [fish] diet."  For Trent, yeah, that makes more sense.  Lots of protein and healthy fats in fish and seafood, but you have to source it properly. Can we create a betting pool on when Arie gives up veganism?

3 hours ago, RFK Lives said:

do you have a different browser on your computer?

2 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Ok, it says "Kouandjio going full vegan and Williams committing to a pescatarian [fish] diet."  For Trent, yeah, that makes more sense.  Lots of protein and healthy fats in fish and seafood, but you have to source it properly. Can we create a betting pool on when Arie gives up veganism?

That was the other Williams, not TW. TW went full vegan until the venison incident.

If the OL can eat better without losing weight during preseason/regular season, who cares what the diet is?

I was bummed that Scherff wasn't there, but glad to see 66% attendance. 

Just to set the record straight, they did mention who went/didn't go - it was in one of the photo captions:

"Redskins linemen at Heights High School in Houston. 10 players attended the camp: (left to right, front row) Arie Kouandjio, Trent Williams, Vinston Painter, Tyler Catalina, John Kling, Chase Roullier; (left to right, back row) Morgan Moses, Ty Nsekhe, Ronald Patrick, Isaiah Williams. Not in attendance: Kevin Bowen, Kyle Kalis, Shawn Lauvao, Spencer Long, Brandon Scherff. (John McDonnell/The Washington Post)"

Your starting center and guards weren't there. Hmmm. Well, just glad to see TW being the leader of this unit and fostering some epsrit de corps along the OL. I'm looking forward to reports of him doing the same at camp, and to seeing the OL better again this year.

HTTR!!!

7 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Scherff was noticeably absent from the pics.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about a vegan left tackle.  We'll see how long that lasts, as he broke near the end there.

Whos vegan? My people! 

You know the only weightlifter we sent to the Olympics is vegan. We're everywhere. 

6 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

How on Earth does a 320# football player take in enough protein to maintain muscle mass on a vegan diet???  Beans???  That's kind of counterproductive, if you get my wind....  I could maybe see if he also ate eggs, but even then, nothing packs on the protein like animal flesh, and if you've got the really (expensive) healthy kind like grass-fed venison or bison, poultry, or go for the fishies, you're going to get a lot of nutrients with little junk.

Protien is fairly over rated and not nearly as important as most people think.

Now he really fits his nickname Silverback.

Q: How do you know someone's vegan or does cross-fit?

A: Don't worry, they'll tell you about it.

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Protien is fairly over rated and not nearly as important as most people think.

Where did you get that information? Protein is incredibly important to a balanced diet, especially for someone who does the type of physical training these guys are doing. 

5 hours ago, RedskinsInFebruary said:

So I looked up vegan and it's more extreme than vegetarian (vegans abstain from dairy, eggs, animal clothing, etc. as well).  Couldn't look up why everyone gets their feathers ruffled over it though; it's not like they can force anyone else to do it.

there are some very self righteous vegans out there. 

6 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

I know that pro wrestler Daniel Bryan had to eventually give up veganism because he couldn't maintain himself on that diet and he was a small guy

Don't like any type of nickname, especially "Hogs 2.0", until we can run the ****ing ball. I get that they can pass protect, although Kirk gets some credit for their efficiency there. But its embarrassing to mention the name "Hogs" at all until you can run the ball down someone's throat. Since we didn't make any real changes on the OL I doubt that happens unless Perine turns out to have much better vision/power than Kelly (which I guess is possible).

Yeah, our line is not great by a long shot. Not sure why they should even be thinking of nicknames, although I guess any half ass line we ever have will be compared to the Hogs.

3 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Q: How do you know someone's vegan or does cross-fit?

A: Don't worry, they'll tell you about it.

Where did you get that information? Protein is incredibly important to a balanced diet, especially for someone who does the type of physical training these guys are doing. 

I got it from studying nutrition, diet and food since I was 13. So, 31 years later one thing Ive learned about being Vegan, is not to discuss any of it around here.

Archived