Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Net Neutrality 2017

Springfield

Well, by the looks of it, the republicans will probably get their way and we will have an internet controlled by the mega communications companies and we as end users will be able to do very little to advocate for ourselves.  The days of a free and open internet are coming to an end.  Internet hot lanes and tiered services will probably spring up.  It was fun while it lasted folks.

Of course, whilst serching for related topics I came across a gem of a thread from 2006.  It was fittingly titled Goodbye, internets!  It's interesting to go back and see how differently the internet was viewed 10 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Well, by the looks of it, the republicans will probably get their way and we will have an internet controlled by the mega communications companies and we as end users will be able to do very little to advocate for ourselves.  The days of a free and open internet are coming to an end.  Internet hot lanes and tiered services will probably spring up.  It was fun while it lasted folks.

Of course, whilst serching for related topics I came across a gem of a thread from 2006.  It was fittingly titled Goodbye, internets!  It's interesting to go back and see how differently the internet was viewed 10 years ago.

Small business and startups are going to get ****ed by this. Hope consumers are ready to pay more. 

I'm just getting up to speed on this, so I don't know what the law does or what impact changing it might have. I do find it interesting that both Google and 4chan are protesting the Republican plan.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN19X268

Wed Jul 12, 2017 | 5:10 PM EDT

Tech firms protest proposed changes to U.S. net neutrality rules

(Reuters) - Facebook Inc (FB.O), Twitter Inc (TWTR.N), Alphabet Inc (GOOGL.O) and dozens of other major technology companies protested online on Wednesday against proposed changes to U.S. net neutrality rules that prohibit broadband providers from giving or selling access to certain internet services over others.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/the-switch/wp/2017/07/12/even-4chan-is-opposing-the-republican-plan-for-net-neutrality/

Even 4chan is opposing the Republican plan for net neutrality

But joining them is a curious corner of the Web: 4chan, the message-board site that's known for producing an avalanche of pro-Donald Trump memes during the 2016 presidential campaign that made the GOP nominee a viral sensation on social media and, many argue, helped usher him into the Oval Office. It's Trump's own telecom regulators who, now, are spearheading the very repeal effort that so many websites are protesting this week. And 4channers are irate about it.

4chan summoned an Egyptian god of chaos to help get Trump elected, so maybe he'll listen to them.

https://pepethefrogfaith.wordpress.com

THE REAL STORY BEHIND HILLARY CLINTON’S “CARTOON NAZI FROG” WILL BLOW YOUR MIND

I’ll cut right to the chase:

Pepe the Frog isn’t a white nationalist symbol.

Pepe the Frog isn’t a harmless meme propagated by teenagers on the internet.

Pepe the Frog is, in fact, the modern-day avatar of an ancient Egyptian deity accidentally resurrected by online imageboard culture. 

Edited by s0crates

A lot of websites are starting to inconvenience you now trying to force an agenda on you. Like Reddit for instance starts spamming this message when you're trying to surf the site. It would be like this site suddenly having a popup, except it displays text really slowly so you don't even know what they want because you rushed to close it so fast. 

PEople need to understand forcing their agenda upon others especially online isn't going to work

Edited by ixcuincle

How are you so deep in the internet but you don't know about net neutrality? This is not a new subject. I guess the trolls didn't realize Trump does not care about their issues. You probably shouldn't support someone just because he's "anti PC" and a troll. The lulz aren't worth it when your internet company is selling your browsing history and throttling the flow of information.

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

PEople need to understand forcing their agenda upon others especially online isn't going to work and listen I understand Net Neutrality is bad and everyone is AGAINST IT but don't you dare try to force me to do something or make it an annoyance. Just say, hey, we got this issue here, we need your help. Please. don't go HEY YOU GOTTA DO THIS IT'S ****ING IMPORTANT DO IT OR ELSE 

Don't care about your convenience. These sites should be doing that. Being passive is going to get people to skip it more often.

20 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

How are you so deep in the internet but you don't know about net neutrality? This is not a new subject. I guess the trolls didn't realize Trump does not care about their issues. You probably shouldn't support someone just because he's "anti PC" and a troll. The lulz aren't worth it when your internet company is selling your browsing history and throttling the flow of information.

Don't care about your convenience. These sites should be doing that. Being passive is going to get people to skip it more often.

Being aggressive is going to annoy people to the point that they will actively ignore or revolt against your cause. 

Again, nobody reads popups. If you want to send a message put it on the top of the site in text that everyone can see. 99.5% of people cross the popup out, assume it's an ad, ignore it. The same with these asinine messages 

4 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

The fight was lost November 8 2016. Don't know if Democrats will be able/have the stomach to pass a law to finally cement this BS.

:ols:

That's cute

It was lost somewhere around 10 years ago.

• Like 1

I don't know a ton about this issue, but why was it lost?  If one telecom came out and said "we will voluntarily be 100% neutral" do people not think that they would have a huge advantage with consumer's in the market?  Or do people not really care enough and will just go with whoever is cheapest?

19 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I don't know a ton about this issue, but why was it lost?  If one telecom came out and said "we will voluntarily be 100% neutral" do people not think that they would have a huge advantage with consumer's in the market?  Or do people not really care enough and will just go with whoever is cheapest?

More money to be made not being neutral. Also most people don't have a choice when it comes to broadband. You're lucky if you have 2 or more choices.

22 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The internet doesn't just run through the provider you pay.  If 90% of the network is throttling Netflix, then you'll suffer even if your particular ISP doesn't throttle since data does not just go directly from the source to your ISP to you, but rather it travels through a sea of nodes before reaching you.

Also, what world are you living in where we have an actual choice of internet service provider?  They're all regional monopolies or, if you're lucky, a duopoly.

• Like 2