Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

Fix the GOP, what for?  In the GOP's mind, what's there to really fix?  2020 was more good than bad for them.  They won more seats in the House.  They won more at the state and local level.  Excluding the Georgia Senate seats; they won Senate seats they were expected to lose.  There only real losses in 2020 were the presidency and the 2 Georgia Senate seats.

In 22, they are in great position.  Redistricting after the 2020 census,  alone probably gives them the seats they need to be back in the majority in the House. I fully expect the GOP to win back the House.  I also expect to win them back some of those governorships they lost in 2018.  The only bright light for Dems in 22 might be the Senate; where the map favors them.  Though, the map favored them in 20 and they could only win control by a fluke special election in Georgia.  

Historically, the first midterm a president faces; his party usually does bad in the midterms.  The only recent exception was George Bush Jr and that was partly due to it being the first election after 9/11.  The GOP voters will be motivated after 2 years of Biden.  Even if some of the GOPers nominated are crazies.  Will democrats and left leaning independents be as motivated in 22? Especially, if they are disappointed with how the Biden administration has played out.  I can see progressives being mad, if Biden hasn't enacted alot of what they want by then. You will see progressives primarying the old guard Dems. It wouldn't shock me too see AOC go after Chuck Shummer's senate seat. If progressives aren't satisfied with what's happening in the Biden administration; they may sit out. Dems have a horrible turnout record in midterms; when they hold the presidency. 

While it's way too early to predict 2024; it wouldn't shock me if a non-Trump GOP candidate beats Biden or Harris or whoever the Dem nominee is in 2024.  If it's Trump or a Trumpy candidate, they will lose.

I think long term, the GOP is in decline but in the short term; they are doing fine.  If Dems want to break the stranglehold; they really need to focus on state and local elections also. So much of the rot in the nation is due to the fact the GOP controls so much of state and local government. EVen states where Dems won governorships in 18; they still had to deal with  GOP legislatures.

Also, the Gen Xer and Boomers and older; are still the larger portion of the voting population. So, until that switches where Millenenials, Gen Z and younger are the majority; GOP still has control.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I think long term, the GOP is in decline but in the short term; they are doing fine.  If Dems want to break the stranglehold; they really need to focus on state and local elections also. So much of the rot in the nation is due to the fact the GOP controls so much of state and local government. EVen states where Dems won governorships in 18; they still had to deal with  GOP legislatures.

Precisely why the GOP's main takeaway from 2018 & 2020 is.............find ways to make it harder for people to vote.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Lauren Boebert is vying with the Georgia Rep. for biggest tool in Congress.  And it's a close battle.

Look at the background this dip**** set up for her on-camera interview:

Euhj6AeXcAECqIf?format=png&name=900x900

She'd be the type of dip**** that would forget to clear the chamber and have the gun fall off the shelf and accidentally shoot someone. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

She'd be the type of dip**** that would forget to clear the chamber and have the gun fall off the shelf and accidentally shoot someone. 

The "Conservative gun girl" gimmick sure is wild.  Everyone familiar with Dana Loesch?  Same deal.  She tried to make it in hollywood as a mommy blogger.  She wanted to turn that into something bigger.  When it fizzled she disappeared for awhile and resurfaced as a hardcore gun advocate and right-winger.  It's clearly a character she is playing but her audience seems too dense to realize it.  She even blocked me on twitter a few years back when I brought up her former career attempt. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I thought the same thing.  And, other than someone getting hit, I would have loved for one of those guns to fall and go off.

4 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Lmao. That's a totally normal thing that definitely happened.

Hide contents

:( Did not happen

Cruz was always coming back the next day. 

He just didn't buy a return ticket for that day, because, hey, green energy did this. 

• Like 2

:ols:

First, Ted Cruz didn't defend his own wife against personal attacks by Donald Trump, now he's throwing his daughters under the bus about this Mexico trip.

Must really suck to be a woman in the Cruz household. Never know when you're going to be used as a human shield for craven political expediency. 

• Like 3