Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is our best defensive lineman?

Vanguard

8 hours ago, Mooka said:

McClain has the talent to be a premier run-stopper, but hasn't been able to stay healthy. Personally I'm very high on him, think he's desperately needed in our run defense because he can make tackles while still engaged with lineman.

McGee is a scrub IMO and seems like an immature guy. Don't know much about him other then the few times I remembered him in Oakland it wasn't for good things. Dunno what we saw in him. 

Ziggy Hood has absolutely no business being our starting NT. He was decimated at the point of attack last season. Not just eating up space, but getting DESTROYED at the LOS. Like Golston and Cullen Jenkins, if he's playing significant snaps then something is very wrong.

We needed to sign one of those top NTs that were available. Hopefully we'll find someone in the draft.  

I agree on Ziggy Hood.  He's not a starter.  I desperately hope we draft a lineman in the first round.

I do wonder about what we have in Hood, honestly. 

If I recall correctly, he actually was a real bright spot on the line during TC/Preseason and the first couple of games. Then he was forced to play more Nose and he struggled. 

Who knows what may have happened had he stayed mostly at DE, but there was some initial promise there that we got a steal in FA by signing him. 

On 4/24/2017 at 6:23 AM, Probos said:

They'll obviously get a "chance" (we have no choice), but, on paper it's a bottom 1/3 of the league DL at this point and time.  That's just reality.  

It will more than likely be another huge weakness for the team this season,...maybe the biggest.  But,..lets see what they do in the draft.

I'd say this is spot on. 

We have some solid rotational nfl dline man but overall, we lack nfl starter talent and we will get abused at the line of scrimmage. 

That is unless these free agents pan out and we hit with our draft picks. 

We still have a good shot at the playoffs but I think our dline will hold us back from really contending. 

Maybe a good to great offense and an improved secondary and linebacking core with cover up our weaknesses. 

I would say Preston Smith is our best DL. We will see how the two Mc's pan out. I like Mclain. He was dominate at times last year. But definitely has an injury history. I could never find any film to watch on Mcgee. So I wont comment on him. I do know Raiders fans were pissed to lose him. 

Dont overlook who is coaching these guys either. Say what you want about Tomsula. But the guy is a phenomenal DL coach. 

Hood's an interesting case.  Played in a 1 gap scheme in college, then Steelers drafted him as a 2 gap DE (in their 34 obviously).  He didn't wow anyone, but seemed to come into his own (and embrace the selflessness of keeping the backers clean) and started for a time.  Jacksonville didn't work out but he had some injury issues.  It was interesting to hear that he seemed excited to go back to 1 gapping as he felt it was a better fit for him.  

Probably quite an adjustment after so much time, and then we further messed with him by trying him at nose.  

Who knows what's going to happen, but he could look a lot different playing de (solely), in his preferred gap scheme, with an excellent line coach.  

I would have to say hands down its Trenth Murphy...*receives note*...Oh, right they switched him off DE again.  DANGIT JOE WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING???...*receives another note*...Oh right, seems we let Joe go.  Okay, well Im going to vote for Tomsula.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/jay-gruden-looking-redskins-de-anthony-lanier-take-second-year-jump

“We’re really, really excited about Anthony Lanier,” coach Jay Gruden said during the NFL meetings in Phoenix this week.

“I think the more he works coming out of his stance, getting off on the snap count, hand usage, all these things that [new defensive line] coach [Jim] Tomsula will work with him, he’s got a chance to be really, really good.”

1 minute ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

IF Malik McDowell falls and IF we then took him, this would be a REAL tough question to answer in terms of pure talent. 

Just HOW ****ING AWESOME would that be?

Hail. 

And imagine if Lanier really is looking special? That would give us 3 very young DEs. We'd be running 4 pass rushers like the Giant did all the way to the SB.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

And imagine if Lanier really is looking special? That would give us 3 very young DEs. We'd be running 4 pass rushers like the Giant did all the way to the SB.

With the Eagles taking Barnett (an EXCELLENT take damn them!), you think that Dallas stud line is influencing the East's thoughts?

Hail. 

Glad to see that people mention Tomsula, he may do for the D what Callahan did for the other side. I think this thread got answered with our first pick, but it wouldn't chap my ass one bit to see more starter D help in the coming rounds.

7 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Glad to see that people mention Tomsula, he may do for the D what Callahan did for the other side. I think this thread got answered with our first pick, but it wouldn't chap my ass one bit to see more starter D help in the coming rounds.

Callahan got a first rounder and then more to work with.  I agree the DL will get something else.  

I doubt the 2nd or 3rd though.  I have a feeling there will be a NT coming around 4/5.  Tomsula/Gruden had quotes and comments about finding and making a solid NT.  There are intriguing guys that will be available.   Lower you go the longer they take to be starters...but as some have mentioned McGee can play there for now.

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

IF Malik McDowell falls and IF we then took him, this would be a REAL tough question to answer in terms of pure talent. 

Just HOW ****ING AWESOME would that be?

Hail. 

And then pick up a real NT in the 4th? My god, the worst area of the entire team might become one of the best. Seriously, if we could pull off something like that, our defense will be so much better. If he falls......................OMG

I wonder how all the teams in our division felt after they saw our pick.:evil:

I'd like to get a OLB that can rush the passer. But right now I'm on cloud 9 (between the oxycodone and Jonathan Allen)

The nfl.com draft profile says;

Weaknesses

Footwork and technique are a mess. Plays with inconsistent base width and overall balance. Struggles to keep feet clean and ends up on the ground. Lines up in narrow, three-point stance from interior and struggles to fight back against down blocks and double teams. Can be washed out of his gap too often. High center of gravity made interior work a challenge at times. Can bend, but lets high pad level get the best of him. Doesn't consistently utilize his length with first hands. Has to become better at controlling the point of attack with his natural attributes. Needs to punch and control rather than leaning on blockers. Production doesn't match up with the traits and the talent. Scouts concerned about work ethic and leadership.

Sounds to me like the right situation with vet attitude and quality coaching ought to address most or all of those "weaknesses". Kid has some talent though, would be an interesting pick, but as usual I will defer to the mavens here.

I'm grateful that so many of you take the time to put so much effort into these threads to help some of us just looking in from the outside, as it were.

3 hours ago, jsharrin55 said:

Callahan got a first rounder and then more to work with.  I agree the DL will get something else.  

I doubt the 2nd or 3rd though.  I have a feeling there will be a NT coming around 4/5.  Tomsula/Gruden had quotes and comments about finding and making a solid NT.  There are intriguing guys that will be available.   Lower you go the longer they take to be starters...but as some have mentioned McGee can play there for now.

And possibly Phil Taylor and Matt Ioanidis. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2016/12/17/now-on-injured-reserve-anthony-lanier-reflects-on-positive-rookie-experience/?utm_term=.e80da8c0f223#comments

“Great learning experience and got my feet wet, so I’m no longer a rookie on the field,” Lanier said. “I’m gonna be going into my second year, I know what to expect now. At times, I caught myself staring at people, realizing that I was on the field going against the best in the world and in the nation. Now, I can go out there and know that I can play with them. Now, it’s just [time to] better my game to the point where every time a quarterback gets under center or gets in the shotgun, they’re going to know who Anthony Lanier is.”

http://m.redskins.com/news/article-1/Anthony-Lanier-Trying-To-Stand-Out-The-Undrafted-Route/5dc2eb60-6339-4fef-96d5-9ddde2e374d9

Archived