Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Trump Does East Asia Thread

FanboyOf91

3 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I'm certainly no fan of Trump.  And think he will be a disaster.  But Obama has been in charge for 8 years, and allowed both China and Russia to become MORE powerful and MORE of a threat.  This failure is his.

Both of their economies are in the dumps.  They are globally much weaker, they just spend their days posturing with their regional militaries while we float around everywhere because we're globally in charge.

This is a pretty obvious standard issue power play by the Chinese over the Taiwan call.  Trump calls/gets called by Taiwan, Obama reaffirms one China policy but Trump keeps saying it's up in the air.  China now escalates.  I suspect the fact that it was unmanned was by design for the Chinese.  Seizure of a manned craft is escalation too far, unmanned is good for sending a message but easy to smooth over in long run.

Id assume a new president elect would want to be friendly with China.

Doesn't Trump have a 1trillion infrastructure project and other large projects?

China would be the ones who buy most of the bonds to fund such projects correct?

Economic policy with China's a little over my head though.

11 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I'm certainly no fan of Trump.  And think he will be a disaster.  But Obama has been in charge for 8 years, and allowed both China and Russia to become MORE powerful and MORE of a threat.  This failure is his.

Russia's economy is in the dumps. China isn't doing all that great either. 

This is military posturing and likely a response to Trumps Taiwan call. Not Obamas problem and he should cede ground to Trumps FP people.

2 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

But Obama has been in charge for 8 years, and allowed both China and Russia to become MORE powerful and MORE of a threat.  This failure is his.

Not really. Russia has started lashing out because they've run out of options. Their economy is now in shambles because cheap oil has killed the only chance they had.

China's economy is shaky because you can't just keep building empty cities, manipulating your wages, etc and get double digit growth year after year. Our trade policies with Asia in general, despite being un-liked by out general population, were set to allow us to write the rules China would have to follow.

Trump has, before even becoming president, threatened to significantly weaken our positions against both countries for a number of reasons. Russia's ability to interfere with our elections will go without a response. China has started jumping on the trade-realignment before Trump has even become president. And, in general, Trump doesn't seem intelligent enough to be able to actually deal with this; both countries' governments will run circles around him.

If we're lucky, we'll get out of this without ceding power to either and falling too far back, in spite of Trump not because of him.

There's a lot going on in the geopolitical sense. People seem to think absence of military aggression or big grandiose speeches means we've been soft on them. I don't agree with Obama's foreign policy across the board, and I'm seriously questioning his decision making in the middle east, but when it comes to China and Russia we mostly had them where we wanted them and Trump is likely to screw that all up very quickly.

edit: if I were to blame Obama for seriously screwing up something with China, it would be for allowing them to essentially buy up all the rights to the minerals in Africa right in front of us with (as far as I know, which means little) not even a plan to do anything about it. maybe our gov't is smarter and knows china is wasting its time/money, but to me it looks like something we're going to regret down the road. I'm not even aware of Obama having mentioned it once, ever, at any time.

On 12/17/2016 at 8:22 PM, visionary said:

WTF?

I agree with Trump and like the response. Let them keep it. Next time they do something like that, dont announce it to the world and give out some stern but punchless warnings. Keep it quiet. Dont say a thing. China knows. We know. Steal 2 of their underwater drones. 

We are the toothless tiger. To wrapped up in maintaining the status quo. To wrapped up in diplomacy over confrontation. 

China's diplomacy is death by a thousand paper cuts in which they have already seized large nautical miles of vitally important water ways without firing one bullet. 

Good for Trump imo. 

Archived