Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Trump Does East Asia Thread

FanboyOf91

Weinberg also suggested he could immediately start discussing within the highest echelons of government the wall he has threatened to build between the U.S. and Mexico, potential deportations and tariff changes, as well as feasibly label China to be a currency manipulator.

"That would be interesting since China right now is manipulating to strengthen the yuan and if China stops at his request, the yuan will get weaker and he doesn't want that," the respected chief economist posited.

"I think the Chinese are playing him like a drum in this regard," he continued.

well...

China said on Tuesday it had "irrefutable" sovereignty over disputed islands in the South China Sea after the White House vowed to defend "international territories" in the strategic waterway.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer in his comments on Monday signaled a sharp departure from years of cautious U.S. handling of China's assertive pursuit of territorial claims in Asia.

"The U.S. is going to make sure that we protect our interests there," Spicer said when asked if Trump agreed with comments by his secretary of state nominee, Rex Tillerson. On Jan. 11, Tillerson said China should not be allowed access to islands it has built in the contested South China Sea.

"It's a question of if those islands are in fact in international waters and not part of China proper, then yeah, we're going to make sure that we defend international territories from being taken over by one country," Spicer said.

No Excuses - I agree. While I dont like China flexing some muscle and doing a land grab, I would do the same thing if I was China. They want some kinda coastline protection. The USA is lucky that we dont have a zillion countries and the China and Russia navy in our backyard. Im sure Russia and China have subs and what not but its not how we are in their backyard. 

We have to treat China like a territorial power and let them exert some control over the region. 

Odd that Trump commented that Russia is acting understandably and with justified territorial interest but China is doing the same thing and that is bad? 

Why make inflammatory comments to China with no actual plan or action? It does not help us and it only hurts us and it achieved nothing. 

The United States will send extra military aircraft to Australia's tropical north this year, a U.S. Marine Corps spokesman said on Wednesday, bolstering its military presence close to the disputed South China Sea.

The Marines' deployment in the strategic city of Darwin, agreed in 2011, was a critical part of former U.S. President Barack Obama's "pivot" to Asia amid China's increased assertiveness in the region.

The move also cemented close ties with staunch ally Australia and gave the U.S. a foothold in the area.

North Korea is positioned as China's No.2 threat after the United States, according to a recent document written by strategists of the Chinese People's Liberation Army and seen by Kyodo News.

It shows that despite the two neighbouring countries' traditionally friendly diplomatic relations, North Korea is seen, from a military perspective, as a threat in view of its nuclear and missile development.

The document, issued in May 2016, is a wartime exercise guideline for preparing for threats from hypothetical enemies.

Archived