Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

It's why I won't ever travel out of the country.  This is a big country with lots to see.

****, I won't even fly HERE in this country.  Haven't since 93-94, somewhere around there.  I'd be one lost puppy now.

And you betcha, there is.:)

3 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

It's why I won't ever travel out of the country.  This is a big country with lots to see.

I will never understand this sentiment. If I were president, I would make it mandatory that every citizen spends at least a month abroad. Most people's opinion of other countries, their culture, and their collective sentiments are largely based on movies/tv/news, and most couldn't be further from the truth. 

1 hour ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

The Syrian gas attack may be Putin's stress test on Trump. North Korea just added some tension. Blaming Obama won't solve it ("but what about blaming W" in 3,2,1...).

I mean, if we want to delve into history, W is more responsible for NK than anyone else.  His herp-derping through the early 2000's set the stage for their first successful nuclear test in 2006.

That being said, that requires Trump to actually have a scintilla of understand of history or actions and consequences, and he has not shown himself to be capable of that.

40 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I will never understand this sentiment. If I were president, I would make it mandatory that every citizen spends at least a month abroad. Most people's opinion of other countries, their culture, and their collective sentiments are largely based on movies/tv/news, and most couldn't be further from the truth. 

Good luck trying to pass that legislation. Would I have to prove that I spent 2 months in England in 1991 lol?

Just now, DM72 said:

Good luck trying to pass that legislation. Would I have to prove that I spent 2 months in England in 1991 lol?

Easy: school student exchange program. 

You wouldn't have to prove anything. But surely you could see the benefit to living in a country where English is the second language, the culture is different, and experiences are different. Why wouldn't a program that sent kids over to Croatia or Poland for a month or so be a bad thing? People would learn how to be tolerant of others customs and traditions; something we sorely need. 

5 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Easy: school student exchange program. 

You wouldn't have to prove anything. But surely you could see the benefit to living in a country where English is the second language, the culture is different, and experiences are different. Why wouldn't a program that sent kids over to Croatia or Poland for a month or so be a bad thing? People would learn how to be tolerant of others customs and traditions; something we sorely need. 

Are you going to guarantee their safety? No way something like this would pass.

2 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Are you going to guarantee their safety? No way something like this would pass.

Can you guarantee the safety of your child on the way to school? At school? At the mall? At a parade? Etc. a huge population of this country has a flawed opinion of foreign culture, just as a huge percentage have a "doesn't affect me, why should I care. I got mine" mentality. It's toxic and when the American philosophy of open arms became " we're going to build a wall." clearly there is a problem. 

10 minutes ago, twa said:

military service

Most vets I know talk about the travel being the best part of their experience in the military. 

6 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Can you guarantee the safety of your child on the way to school? At school? At the mall? At a parade? Etc. a huge population of this country has a flawed opinion of foreign culture, just as a huge percentage have a "doesn't affect me, why should I care. I got mine" mentality. It's toxic and when the American philosophy of open arms became " we're going to build a wall." clearly there is a problem. 

I agree with your last part, but we live in a free country. You cannot force people to live overseas for a month.

Since you're the president. Does that include your children.

2 minutes ago, DM72 said:

I agree with your last part, but we live in a free country. You cannot force people to live overseas for a month.

Since you're the president. Does that include your children.

Not so free these days. 

Yes. Have the obamas traveled abroad? What about Chelsea Clinton. President Bush's daughters? Trumps?

Most presidential families travel and live abroad for a time. Heck, Kim Jong Un studied in Switzerland. 

3 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Not so free these days. 

Yes. Have the obamas traveled abroad? What about Chelsea Clinton. President Bush's daughters? Trumps?

You're kidding. They have secret service protection, plus the protection of the country their visiting. Everyday people aren't going to have that. 

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I tend to agree that exposure to other peoples and cultures is a very good thing. But I refuse to go through the repressive and dictatorial and draconian procedures going in and out of the country.

I've been to London for business, and had some free time there and loved it because I am a history buff.

I have studied other cultures and made efforts to interact with all persons I run across.

Travelling abroad can be wonderful, im sure. Don't like the idea of it being mandated.

And while there is a lot you can learn culturally, you can also learn a lit by..... Picking up a book.  

A lot of genuine ignorance would be solve if other Americans got outside of their comfort and got to know and interact with the different races and cultures and visit the different cities within the US itself

3 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Everyday people aren't going to have that. 

What is stopping someone from attacking your school/church/work place? I would venture it is a general understanding of human ideals, and being raised under these conditions. This ideal is dissolving fast. Consequences of such attacks are not a deterrent. I would argue that no one is really free to do what they want, nor is there guaranteed safety for everyone. But the belief that everyone is equal is the most important quality. Understanding and participating in other countries/cultures dissolves the xenophobic mantra quickly. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

And while there is a lot you can learn culturally, you can also learn a lit by..... Picking up a book.  

A lot of genuine ignorance would be solve if other Americans got outside of their comfort and got to know and interact with the different races and cultures and visit the different cities within the US itself

When is the last time you saw a child read a book by choice? 

Interacting with different races and cultures won't happen anywhere in this country because it's too close to your comfort zone. 

Just now, Skin'emAlive said:

When is the last time you saw a child read a book by choice? 

3 days ago

Interacting with different races and cultures won't happen anywhere in this country because it's too close to your comfort zone. 

I was responding largely to the quote where you seem to imply that being forced to study abroad would solve things like ignorance and xenophobia.

Im looking more at the root cause. There are vast swaths of this country that operate like its still 1963, and gave a very narrow view of society. Even in very diverse areas, people subconsciously segregate themselves from each other.

Whether it could happen or not is irrelevant, i am saying that if we learned to do it ourselves, it would do more positive than spending a month abroad, then coming back and spending 30 years in the same spot.

29 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

What is stopping someone from attacking your school/church/work place? I would venture it is a general understanding of human ideals, and being raised under these conditions. This ideal is dissolving fast. Consequences of such attacks are not a deterrent. I would argue that no one is really free to do what they want, nor is there guaranteed safety for everyone. But the belief that everyone is equal is the most important quality. Understanding and participating in other countries/cultures dissolves the xenophobic mantra quickly. 

There's a reason we have travel bans. An exchange program would be some radical groups dream. They literally tell you when traveling in certain countries, "don't look too American."

11 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Whether it could happen or not is irrelevant, i am saying that if we learned to do it ourselves, it would do more positive than spending a month abroad, then coming back and spending 30 years in the same spot.

I'm saying, we can't learn to do it ourselves. A pampered billionaire just won an election by selling himself to the people who hated being told what to do by millionaires. We are past the point of figuring it out. I mean we have the current organization's budget chief claiming after school programs are hardly beneficial. 

Archived