Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

9 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

What am I missing here? The Senate needs 60 votes to pass a spending bill, no?

1). No. It takes a majority vote to pass a spending bill. It takes 60 votes to end a filibuster  

2). And the claim was "the system was designed". I'm pretty sure the constitution doesn't mention 60 votes once. (Although I'm not sure. Does impeachment require 3/5 or 2/3?)

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

I don't get why McConnell voted no and is now bashing the Dems. This really is why people hate government. 

My understanding is that he voted no as a procedural move so he could reintroduce cloture later, or something like that. I'm not up on the arcane rules they operate under, but it's consistent both with other times I've read about stuff like this and also with his behavior this time.

He's bashing Democrats because he's trying to score political points.

5 hours ago, Burgold said:

One thing that I really dislike about the last six months of governance is that our children's health has been held hostage. #CHIPfunding should have been resolved in Sept. CHIP should have been resolved during tax reform. It should not be the ransom price for a CR

This is where I say the Left is kinda dumb (and GOP evil).  Who didn't see this one coming?  I said 6 months ago when CHIP expired that something like this would happen (didn't know it would be budget but just the GOP would use it tying it to something else and calling Left evil for not supporting).  While I don't agree with what the GOP does, they are certainly better at playing the game.

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Bacon (Nebraska) just said on MSNBC that "half of our Navy planes can't fly", or something like that. 

WHAT? I know I've been out for 32 years,

Off the top of my head, I would say this is roughly true.  There are a lot of factors that go into it though in my opinion.  Partly is money (for parts, etc).  But also is more complex aircraft which leads to a higher failure rate.  They also become more difficult to repair.  They have taken away the ability (and training) for Sailors to perform as in-depth repairs as we used to.  

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

but we're still the world's largest nuclear Navy. We're the guardians of the planet. 

I refuse to give up ground or sea.

People need to decide if we still want to be this.  Everyone loves to piss and moan about the defense budget (and there certainly is waste that needs to be fixed) but don't want to admit how expensive it is to be the "world police" or whatever term you wish to use.  You can't have it both ways.

Just now, techboy said:

My understanding is that he voted no as a procedural move so he could reintroduce cloture later, or something like that. I'm not up on the arcane rules they operate under, but it's consistent both with other times I've read about stuff like this and also with his behavior this time.

He's bashing Democrats because he's trying to score political points.

Yeah, pretty sure you're right on both points. 

Dont think I've ever read the actual rule, but I've seen previous references to the effect that this stunt allows a bill to be brought back again. (As opposed to having to be brought back up completely from scratch). 

31 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

People need to decide if we still want to be this.  Everyone loves to piss and moan about the defense budget (and there certainly is waste that needs to be fixed) but don't want to admit how expensive it is to be the "world police" or whatever term you wish to use.  You can't have it both ways.

I’d rather have everyone in the country covered for health care than have a military so huge (and expanding).  I think we could probably still be the world’s top military power AND get everyone health care.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

I think we could probably still be the world’s top military power AND get everyone health care.

Is this based on your vast knowledge of Global Military Tactics?  I'm not saying you are wrong but there is a difference between just being the top military power and being able to be the "world's police" or whatever you want to call it.

Just now, LadySkinsFan said:

It's gonna be warmer and sunny today, he's out golfing in Loudon today.

Yep mid 50s today in DC. He was supposed to go to Florida today (along with a fundraiser tonight) but not likely given the optics of vacationing during a shutdown. So he’ll probably play golf here and pretend that he didn’t. 

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

There is no real shutdown.  If it was a real shutdown, you wouldn't be getting your check.

Social Security checks/payments falls under essential services not affected by the shutdown. The congress idiots wouldn't survive one day, if people missed their social security checks.  You will get your SS$.

Thanks for this. I feel better now. 

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

Is this based on your vast knowledge of Global Military Tactics?  I'm not saying you are wrong but there is a difference between just being the top military power and being able to be the "world's police" or whatever you want to call it.

Correct if you want to be the world police you probably need a military budget larger than the next 8 countries combined. Was hoping we could scale back that role but with China and Russia flexing their muscles and expanding their sphere of influence it might not be possible. That said I’d bet we could shave 10% off the dod budget without significantly impacting capabilities and reach. There’s a ton of waste and redundancy in govt spending, especially DOD. 

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This is based on the bull**** I’m pulling out of my ass.

In my brief time in this country though, I’ve found that we can do great things and “find” the money needed to make them happen.  Only if we want.

I think we can get nearly the same level of military presence AND care for all of our citizens at home to boot.  Don’t know how to make it happen, but I’m convinced we can if we want.

1 minute ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Yep mid 50s today in DC. He was supposed to go to Florida today (along with a fundraiser tonight) but not likely given the optics of vacationing during a shutdown. So he’ll probably play golf here and pretend that he didn’t. 

Doesn't want to be like Christy vacationing on the beach when he closed the beaches.

8 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Correct if you want to be the world police you probably need a military budget larger than the next 8 countries combined. Was hoping we could scale back that role but with China and Russia flexing their muscles and expanding their sphere of influence it might not be possible. That said I’d bet we could shave 10% off the dod budget without significantly impacting capabilities and reach. There’s a ton of waste and redundancy in govt spending, especially DOD. 

We could shave 10% easily but that would be devasting to the crucial Defense Contractor/Yacht Owner portion of the country.

1 hour ago, Larry said:

1). No. It takes a majority vote to pass a spending bill. It takes 60 votes to end a filibuster  

2). And the claim was "the system was designed". I'm pretty sure the constitution doesn't mention 60 votes once. (Although I'm not sure. Does impeachment require 3/5 or 2/3?)

And if the GOP was REALLY interested in passing a spending bill then they’d change the Senate rules and remove the fillibuster in order to pass it with a simple majority...just like they did with their stolen SCOTUS judge.

41 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Doesn't want to be like Christy vacationing on the beach when he closed the beaches.

Yeah, but you know he is pissed not to be in FL, and what anout the people who paid 50k a plate to suck up to him at his gala?

Pass a clean CR, the Rs are trying to get all the leverage on the budget negotiations by nickel and diming on the CRs. Midterms will be about Trump. Let him give his SOTU with gov shutdown.

add: I feel like Kelly has taken over and is a much more formidable opponent.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

But 60 votes has become the new standard because a filibuster is the new thing.  The threat of it is used for anything people don't agree with.  It used to be rare.  Now it is the norm.

Only now the goalposts have been moved from "the system was designed to require 60" to "well, lately everybody's been doing it". 

:) 

24 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

And if the GOP was REALLY interested in passing a spending bill then they’d change the Senate rules and remove the fillibuster in order to pass it with a simple majority...just like they did with their stolen SCOTUS judge.

You are now arguing that it is moral for the minority party to hold the entire government hostage, in order to pass legislation, because the majority party hasn't taken away their ability to do so. 

I will now point out that the fact that someone has a power, does not justify them abusing it, for probably the fifth time. 

Archived