Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dakota Access Pipeline Protests

Springfield

Oh I’m sorry did the Dakota access pipeline lower the price of gas, or make it more available to me? No

Just face it you love industry, and will support anything that they do and you’ll defend the environmental disasters that they create as collateral damage for the money that they get a put in their pockets.

Just 5000 barrels no big deal. How about we pour it in your backyard?

10 minutes ago, twa said:

you think so?

doesn't look like it in this case, but it will cost the pipeline a bunch 

Pour 200,000+ gallons of oil onto the ground, it’ll get into someone’s water.

And unless the fines are in the hundreds of millions of dollars then I guarrandamntee you that the “fines” are factored in as a “cost of business”. But then with your boy Trump systematically dismantling the EPA I’m guessing that the cost of business will get more affordable.

Just now, twa said:

you produce and refine it there?....if not, guess how it magically arrives

ya'll need to start walking more

My gas prices have only gone up this year. Yay pipeline

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

Pour 200,000+ gallons of oil onto the ground, it’ll get into someone’s water.

Not necessarily, oil is in the ground in many places anyway.

of course it probably killed off the dinosaurs

Image result for la brea tar pits

27 minutes ago, twa said:

pretty good description, except my water is probably cleaner than yours

Not sure about that. We have been witnessing alterations to your personality which could have a chemical origin. Can you be sure that your reasoning hasn't been impacted by various degrees of contamination or poison?

Just now, Burgold said:

Not sure about that. We have been witnessing alterations to your personality which could have a chemical origin. Can you be sure that your reasoning hasn't been impacted by various degrees of contamination or poison?

I can't blame the water for that :ols:.

55 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Because they were artificially low due to Saudia Arabia releasing a bunch of reserves.

Places shut down because the cost to get crude couldn't justify the market value per barrel

As prices are going up places are opening back up again. Plus pipeline.

Not to mention the shift away from gas tax by some areas.

The price per gallon of gas is more complicated than a single pipeline's construction project.

55 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Well that pipeline was done in 2010 I think, prices down from there I suppose.

If ya eliminated your gas consumption ya wouldn't need to worry about price anyway.

1 hour ago, tshile said:

The price per gallon of gas is more complicated than a single pipeline's construction project.

My comments are directed specifically to the town troll who would happily have us all living in his industrial wasteland.

1 hour ago, twa said:

if ya eliminated your gas consumption ya wouldn't need to worry about price anyway.

You’d still use enough for both of us.

13 hours ago, Predicto said:

That graph is complete pseudoscience garbage.  Where did you find it?  

High voltage powerlines are actually quite safe unless you are extremely close to them.  (at least as far as current actual science indicates)  

altered biorythms" lol   

I grew up under high voltage power lines (they ran them after we bought the house and tanked property value so we couldn't afford to sell), could hear them buzzing.  My bedroom was less than 500' from the pole.  I am 6'2 and healthy as an ox (could be at 40).  No one in the family has any issues related to the lines.  My sister had breast cancer, but that runs in the family.

it's really frustrating, especially in politics, when you want to believe in something and then said something ****s all over the place just like its detractors said it would.

i want to believe that we can have pipelines that are useful (economically) but also safe and done in a way to caters to society the best it can (no pipeline can avoid taking away from the environment, or avoid messing up someone's land)

much like i'm tired of trying to justify why any given year the redskins could be good or are doing things the right way, i've tired of defending any given political position like this pipeline because the people asking for help defending it turn around and do exactly what they said they wouldn't do - spill oil all over the ****ing place

Any chance we can ignore TWAs attempts at hijacking via power line psuedoscience (if it can even be called that) bull**** so the adults can discuss?

This is still visible to the public:

https://daplpipelinefacts.com/safety/

From the beginning of development, the Dakota Access Pipeline has been built to be one of the safest, most technologically advanced pipelines in the world. Dakota Access was designed with tremendous safety factors and state of the art construction techniques and redundancies, including construction and engineering technology that meet or exceed all safety and environmental regulations.

For example, the Dakota Access Pipeline utilizes Horizontal Directional Drills (HDD) for water crossings and state of the art pressure safety design factors that exceed federal requirements by more than 35 percent for road and water body crossings. The minimum installation depth of the pipeline will exceed federal regulations by nearly two feet in agricultural areas. The separation zone between the pipe and all existing infrastructure exceeds the regulatory requirements.

During construction and prior to operation, the pipeline has been and will be subjected to careful inspection and testing to verify its integrity and compliance with all regulatory standards. Once operational, the pipeline route will be patrolled and inspected by air on a weekly basis, weather permitting, to watch for abnormal conditions. It will also be continuously remotely monitored 24/7/365, with additional regular ground inspections.

Underground pipelines are the safest mode of transporting crude oil. Monitored 24/7/365, federal statistics show that underground pipelines transport crude oil more safely than rail (3.4-4.5x safer), or trucks (34x safer). The Dakota Access Pipeline can replace rail and truck transportation of crude oil with less impact to the environment and statistically greater safety.

51 minutes ago, tshile said:

it's really frustrating, especially in politics, when you want to believe in something and then said something ****s all over the place just like its detractors said it would.

i want to believe that we can have pipelines that are useful (economically) but also safe and done in a way to caters to society the best it can (no pipeline can avoid taking away from the environment, or avoid messing up someone's land)

much like i'm tired of trying to justify why any given year the redskins could be good or are doing things the right way, i've tired of defending any given political position like this pipeline because the people asking for help defending it turn around and do exactly what they said they wouldn't do - spill oil all over the ****ing place

There isn't a more corrupt enterprise than the fossil fuel sector in the US.

It takes next level ****ery to suppress scientific work and conclusions drawn from research all over the globe. 

And then you an army of couch potato psuedoscientists who spread their disinformation all over the internet. 

History will not be kind to these people. I hope more people like you have this realization, soon and fast.

we could get off powerlines if your buddy would not bring them up. :ols:

The pipeline safety sheet is correct and the safeguards in place prevented a larger spill.

if you are expecting no leaks ever you are being unreasonable an unrealistic..

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

My comments are directed specifically to the town troll who would happily have us all living in his industrial wasteland.

You’d still use enough for both of us.

I bet I use less than you.....probably far less .:)

People like you are why my industrial wasteland exist.

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

So what you are saying is for no one to address your points by using actual facts because it shows that your points aren't nearly as credible as you wish they were?

25 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

What about that group who's home office is at East Capitol St NE & First St SE, Washington, DC 20004?

Just curious, are the cleanup jobs the new jobs promised by those who championed the pipeline?  In all seriousness, the US needs to move to renewable energy if we want to avoid these risks. I haven't heard about the solar panels or wind farms gone massively wrong yet. If Germany can do it, why can't we? Of course this ignores that the damage comes from moving the oil to another place to be refined. Whether we use it or not, the risk will remain as long as there is a demand for the refined oil whether here or somewhere else.

2 hours ago, tshile said:

There are better and worse ways to do these things. There are also cost/benefit to all these things. Keystone looked to be on the bad side of most of the analysis from what I remember. Low job creation. Low economic benefit.  Medium to high environmental risk. There was just so little bang for the buck given the risk. And on top of that, we were building an oil pipeline that was designed so that the communities it put at risk didn't even benefit from the oil. It was just a bad deal from every perspective except PR and lining Big Oil's pockets.

If there's anything worse than being wrong about something like this it may be being right. I told you so doesn't warm the heart much when you are relatively powerless to fix a bad situation.

1 hour ago, gbear said:

Just curious, are the cleanup jobs the new jobs promised by those who championed the pipeline? 

One of the first snarky thoughts I had when I heard about the spill.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So what you are saying is for no one to address your points by using actual facts because it shows that your points aren't nearly as credible as you wish they were?

No, it just means when dealing with trolls I don’t pretend that their arguments are in good faith. Turnabout is fair play

3 hours ago, No Excuses said:

It takes next level ****ery to suppress scientific work and conclusions drawn from research all over the globe. 

And then you an army of couch potato psuedoscientists who spread their disinformation all over the internet. 

History will not be kind to these people. I hope more people like you have this realization, soon and fast.

I disagree.  I think the financial services industry are easily the most corrupt and perhaps more importantly, most corrupting.  I don't think there is a close second.

8 minutes ago, Destino said:

I disagree.  I think the financial services industry are easily the most corrupt and perhaps more importantly, most corrupting.  I don't think there is a close second.

The financial service industry has a lot more regulatory public oversight than the fossil fuel industry. 

Though when you think of it, they are corrupt in really different ways. 

The fossil fuel industry is deliberately and knowingly facilitating the destruction of habitats. And they do it with essentially no oversight and little liability.

16 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The financial service industry has a lot more regulatory public oversight than the fossil fuel industry. 

Though when you think of it, they are corrupt in really different ways. 

The fossil fuel industry is deliberately and knowingly facilitating the destruction of habitats. And they do it with essentially no oversight and little liability.

Such credible regulatory public oversight that when Wells Fargo admits to the largest act of bank fraud in history, they pay a fine and liberals in government celebrate it as a win.  When they damn near bankrupt the world the response is the Holder Doctrine, which essentially means let them get away with it so long as their companies fork over some money to the government.  They're involved in everything, and always finding new ways to take money without adding value, like when gas prices went completely insane and speculators were a big reason why.  Or when the tech bubble burst and the major investment houses were privately dumping stocks while telling their clients to buy buy buy. 

15 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Gun manufacturers and the NRA?

Most of the free world doesn't allow weapon ownership like they do in the US.  They're not even close. 

Archived