Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dakota Access Pipeline Protests

Springfield

Call it white guilt or whatever you want, but if I'm being honest it would take A LOT for me to not be on the side of Native Americans. I'm talking murder a lot. So that's where I'm at on this.

(For our team name, I'll start considering adjustments to my opinion as soon as it's shown that Native Americans actually care about that. That or UnWise Mike self-immolating his ass in protest. Do it Mike.)

44 minutes ago, Destino said:

I think we're really stretching the word protest to an unrecognizable extreme. 

How would you define this then? Where does protest end and something else begin?

3 hours ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

How would you define this then? Where does protest end and something else begin?

Parts of it are just plain lawlessness.  They fought it in court and lost.  Invading private property and trying to chase off the workers isn't an acceptable reaction to losing.  I'm sympathetic to the cause and would have enjoyed reading about a court victory for them, but the cause in this instance isn't the problem.  The problem is that this is not recognizably political speech or peaceful assembly IMO. 

They can turn eminent domain on its ear right now if they can get enough support. 

5 hours ago, Destino said:

I think we're really stretching the word protest to an unrecognizable extreme. 

Don't know what angle you're headed in...I don't believe for one second that any of the protesters were "rioting", as was claimed.  I saw it on RT and Vice for days with Natives just wanting to be on their land and pray for it not to be destroyed. 

Among our inalienable rights is "life", which does not exist without water.  That's just basic science, which is fuzzy to some folks.

6 hours ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

Call it white guilt or whatever you want, but if I'm being honest it would take A LOT for me to not be on the side of Native Americans. I'm talking murder a lot. 

On their side in this instance or are you speaking generally?  If it's the latter that's definitely white guilt. It'd make more sense to just look at the issue and come up with your own opinion. 

3 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Acquit them...oh wait it's a protest against a corporation to make billions of dollars and not the Federal government. Sorry I nearly forgot what the rules were.

And the protesters aren't gun toting white guys (and, therefore, probably Republican). 

But, more seriously, as to the protest, itself?  I don't know enough about the actual issue. And I don't automatically assume that well, they're Natives, therefore they must be right. 

Net result?  I really don't have a strong opinion about who's right, here. (Although I do observe that it looks like the protesters have had their day in court, (in fact, several of them), and seem to have lost every time.)

I have a friend there. He asked his wife to leave last week with their baby.

We're using our militarized police to attack peaceful protesters for corporate greed. 

Sound weapons, mace, tazers letting dogs attack and putting people in dog crates to hold them.

Peaceful protesters being attacked by our government, to defend corporations profits.

13 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Acquit them...oh wait it's a protest against a corporation to make billions of dollars and not the Federal government. Sorry I nearly forgot what the rules were.

Trying to protect water, from a company that spilled thousands of gallons into another waterway this week 

18 minutes ago, Larry said:

And the protesters aren't gun toting white guys (and, therefore, probably Republican). 

But, more seriously, as to the protest, itself?  I don't know enough about the actual issue. And I don't automatically assume that well, they're Natives, therefore they must be right. 

Net result?  I really don't have a strong opinion about who's right, here. (Although I do observe that it looks like the protesters have had their day in court, (in fact, several of them), and seem to have lost every time.)

Iirc, you are Native, am I right?

Not that it has anything to do with anything, but the pipeline will violate sacred burial grounds, and impact water purity.  That's the nuts & bolts.

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Not that it has anything to do with anything, but the pipeline will violate sacred burial grounds, and impact water purity.  That's the nuts & bolts.

Hey, as long as it isn't viewable from the suburbs or the golf course.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hey, as long as it isn't viewable from the suburbs or the golf course.

I think I wrote that incorrectly...the first sentence of the second paragraph...nevermind.  Failed syntax, LOL

I meant that Larry's background shouldn't matter.  Back to nuts & bolts.  To my knowledge, nobody "rioted", the government chose to take it's side.  <hint, money>

1 minute ago, skinsmarydu said:

I think I wrote that incorrectly...the first sentence of the second paragraph...nevermind.  Failed syntax, LOL

I meant that Larry's background shouldn't matter.  Back to nuts & bolts.  To my knowledge, nobody "rioted", the government chose to take it's side.  <hint, money>

Oh I'm in complete agreement with you.

A peaceful sit in on native American sacred ground is being violently attacked by militarized police, in the name of corporate greed.

It's good that global watchdog organizations are sending people in now to watch the human rights violations happen.

56 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

It's funny because when running a highway through areas they go around churches because they are considered sacred. But with Native sacred land well screw them they lost.

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

seems they are protesting the govt as well as the filthy capitalist swine.....

27 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Man it has to be confusing for you to decide who to support.

Not really, I don't care for protestors

Bunch of self indulgent assholes ignoring the common good.....#AMIRIGHT

bet you are conflicted now :rofl89:

6 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

These sacred burial grounds. The tribe owns them?  The pipeline wants to travel through land where the property owner doesn't want it?

1 hour ago, Larry said:

These sacred burial grounds. The tribe owns them?  The pipeline wants to travel through land where the property owner doesn't want it?

Didn't the court claim no sacred remains there?

Is the court wrong?

http://time.com/4548566/dakota-access-pipeline-standing-rock-sioux/

What to Know About the Dakota Access Pipeline Protests

The controversy over the project shows no sign of going away

The Standing Rock Sioux tribe has opposed the Dakota Access Pipelinesince first learning about plans for the pipeline in 2014. But it’s only been in recent months that the issue has gained national attention, as thousands of protesters—including many Native Americans—have gathered in North Dakota in attempt to block the 1,200-mile project. And, with both supporters and opponents vowing to fight through the harsh North Dakota winter, the battle shows no signs of ending anytime soon.

Here’s what you need to know:

What is the Dakota Access Pipeline?

The pipeline is to be built by Texas-based Energy Transfer Partners and is designed to transport as many as 570,000 barrels of crude oil daily from North Dakota to Illinois. The pipeline would be a key conduit connecting oil wells in the state’s Bakken Shale, where the development of fracking has opened billions of gallons of new oil to recovery, to other valuable consumer markets, including the Gulf Coast, Midwest and East Coast. The nearly $4 billion project was first proposed in 2014 with an anticipated completion of this year.

*Click Link For More* 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/29/us/dakota-pipeline-standing-rock-sioux/

Not all the Standing Rock Sioux are protesting the pipeline

Standing Rock Sioux Reservation, North Dakota (CNN)Ask around and you'll hear stories of pipeline protesters who've traveled great distances.

They've come from Japan, Russia and Germany. Australia, Israel and Serbia. And, of course, there are the allies, not exclusively Native American or indigenous, who've flocked here from all corners of the US.

Together they stand in opposition to the Dakota Access Pipeline, a $3.7 billion investment to move 470,000 barrels of domestic crude oil a day through four states. They're fighting against what they see as corporate greed, an environmental threat and an assault on sacred land.

Demonstrating is their proud daily work.

The Standing Rock Sioux call this reservation home, and many are not on the frontlines of this months-long, and at times violent, protest. With no end in sight, what does it mean to them? And are they even united in their support?

The answer to that last question: Not even close.

*Click Link For More*

Archived