Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Futurism: New FDA-Approved Device Sucks Food From Your Stomach Before You Can Digest It

No Excuses

The technology is named AspireAssist, and it was designed by researchers from Aspire Bariatrics in Pennsylvania. It will cater to select patients struggling with obesity, and is set to be cheaper and less invasive than bariatric surgery.  

The device works by siphoning off food through a tube connected to the stomach, which is surgically inserted via a 15-minute procedure. A skin-port, a plug attached to the skin, gives access to the tube. After turning it on, you can basically watch around 30 percent of what you ate funnel into the toilet.

There were 171 obese patients for the clinical trial performed by Aspire. The control group, composed of 60 patients, received lifestyle therapy only and the remaining received lifestyle therapy and used the device. The patients from the control group lost 3.6 per cent of their total body weight after a year while the AspireAssist group lost an average of 12.1 per cent.

There are some major drawbacks for the device. One, the device requires food to be chewed well, as it can only suck tiny bits of food. Some patients also experienced sore throats and even bleeding. It is also expensive. Excluding the procedure for insertion of the tube, it costs around US$8,000 to US$13,000, including lifestyle counselling.

http://futurism.com/new-fda-approved-device-sucks-food-from-your-stomach-before-you-can-digest-it/

I'd rather be locked in a cell and have someone feed me nothing but salads for a year than essentially puke through a "skin port" after every meal.  Everything about that is uncomfortable to think about.

I'm also not at all impressed with 12% results after a year.

9 hours ago, Major Harris said:

Slogans:

All the benefits of anorexia,  minus the puking.

AspireAssist...for when you just don't want to vomit anymore 

Anorexia is starving yourself I think. You're thinking of bulimia.

"Do you suffer from obesity or bulimia? Tired of the vomit taste everyday? Call us!"

3 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

I'd really like to see the justification of why this was approved. It's basically just bulimia without the puking. 

I'd compare it to bariatric surgery.  (I know a little about that, having a friend who underwent it.) 

She had to jump through a lot of hoops, to get it.  (Things like sessions with a psychiatrist, to make sure that she was sane enough to consent to the procedure.) 

She described, to me, the effects of this surgery, and they're brutal.  And, they're irreversible. 

She went ahead and had it done, despite the really scary effects, because she literally needed it. 

I think she mentioned that she's lost 150 lbs.  Which has not made her slender, by any means.  But it does mean that she can get around a whole lot better. 

28 minutes ago, Larry said:

I'd compare it to bariatric surgery.  (I know a little about that, having a friend who underwent it.) 

She had to jump through a lot of hoops, to get it.  (Things like sessions with a psychiatrist, to make sure that she was sane enough to consent to the procedure.) 

She described, to me, the effects of this surgery, and they're brutal.  And, they're irreversible. 

She went ahead and had it done, despite the really scary effects, because she literally needed it. 

I think she mentioned that she's lost 150 lbs.  Which has not made her slender, by any means.  But it does mean that she can get around a whole lot better. 

Is that the stomach stapling surgery? I had a coworker do that and afterward all she could at one time was an amount equivalent to a hard boiled egg. She lost about 75 pounds (she was short) but then a year later gained most back because she didn't change her eating habits permanently.

Had 2 co-workers when I was in Florida go through stomach by-pass surgery.  The male successfully lost the weight and kept it off.  He adhered to the diet that the doctor told him and 3 years after, still looked good.  The female lost the weight at first. Then she started "cheating".  You know, I little of this here and a little of that here.  3 years after her surgery she looked like she gained some back.  Not all, but she didn't adhere to the diet.  That's why they do the psychological exams, to make sure you know that it's a lifelong commitment.  You just can't have the surgery. lose weight and then start eating like crap again. It's been 11 years since I've lived there.  Wonder what they look like now.

Archived