Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-2017 NCAA Football Discussion Thread

The Evil Genius

Not a big college football fan but I had a feeling that Clemson might win tonight.  Two things:

One, the arrogance of Alabama.  I'm aware that Kiffin got a new job and is prepping for that, and I'm not sure whose decision it was to not have him there tonight, but you don't forget who brought you to the dance.  

Two, they were starting a freshman QB.  While that didn't ultimately matter, he didn't make any mistakes, I just felt like head to head with Watson it wasn't a contest.  

When the Alabama RB (can't remember his name) went down, I thought that was the spot where Clemson could seize the game because it seemed like he was the one guy that they couldn't stop.  Trading scores back and forth at the end was exciting, this was a fantastic game.

Kirk Herbstreit calls a good game.  I'm glad ESPN got the broadcast because he's the best color guy in CFB IMO.

NCAA is so lucky that Clemson and Alabama had these two teams come along at the same time to match up in a Final two years in a row.  Epic title games between the two true best teams in the country were the outcome.  It gave everyone a taste of what makes the sport great.  And I am going to thoroughly enjoy the 30 for 30 that gets made about this colorful Clemson team.

Speaking of which, the concomitance of getting a DeShaun Watson and Calvin Watkins and Ben Boulware and Wayne Gallman to all come along at the same time is really special.  Clemson isn't going to find guys like Watson and Boulware again for a loooong time.  It's too bad that guys like Shaq Lawson, Kevin Dodd, and Mackensie Alexander weren't there to be a part of this championship.  But by the same token, if they had stayed in school, maybe we never get to see a Clelin Ferrell and Austin Bryant and Christian Wilkins shine.

Clemson is going to have an absolutely incredible defensive line over the next two seasons.  Ferrell is a RS Freshman, Fowler is a true freshman, and Wilkins is a true sophomore.  They're built like Alabama on defense.

5 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

I thought the PI call was bad.  Should have been holding or PI outside the end zone.  That would have put Clemson at the 4.5.  Big difference.  Wed be in OT

I can see that. But it kinda of made up for multiple first downs Clemson didn't receive throughout the game when they were getting speared in the helmets 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I can see that. But it kinda of made up for multiple first downs Clemson didn't receive throughout the game when they were getting speared in the helmets 

Bama fans are complaining about the no calls on the picks.  Probably right to be.  But those judgement calls are what they are 

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I know my Auburn alum friend is super stoked!

GO TIGERS!  Now the story is:  Did the coordinator change make the difference? 

My answer is no:  The detergent finally cleaned your TP. 

Agree. Sark was calling a really good game when I stopped watching in the middle of the third. I'm glad Saban had the guts to send Kiffin packing.

Make no mistake, I am happy to see Bama lose.

But the pick play (let's be honest, it's not a rub - it's a pick) needs to be eliminated in college and the pros. Every time it needs to be called as Offensive PI. Every single time. 

Its also ridiculous that college teams run 90+ plays a game. End the clock stop after first down.  

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Speaking of which, the concomitance of getting a DeShaun Watson and Calvin Watkins and Ben Boulware and Wayne Gallman to all come along at the same time is really special.  Clemson isn't going to find guys like Watson and Boulware again for a loooong time.  

I wouldn't worry too much about Clemson. Dabo has been such a phenomenal recruiter that they are right there with Bama and OSU, with HS All-Americans sitting behind All-Americans. They just reload now. They've lost a ton of guys to the NFL the past two years and still won the Championship this year.

The Tigers will surely miss Watson, but have the #1 HS QB coming in next year, and a commitment from Trevor Laurence for 2018, a kid that many pundits are saying is the best HS QB prospect in the past decade plus.

Dabo is a genuine great person, great recruiter, and great coach, and will have Clemson among the NCAA elite as long as he stays in the SC Upstate.

19 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Make no mistake, I am happy to see Bama lose.

But the pick play (let's be honest, it's not a rub - it's a pick) needs to be eliminated in college and the pros. Every time it needs to be called as Offensive PI. Every single time. 

Its also ridiculous that college teams run 90+ plays a game. End the clock stop after first down.  

Funny enough, USC got called for a pick play against Penn State. USC coach went ballistic, well, because it's never called. 

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

Funny enough, USC got called for a pick play against Penn State. USC coach went ballistic, well, because it's never called. 

ND lost to FSU on that call. It needs to be called. PERIOD. Refs are too scared to throw that flag on THAT play but call DPI on Miami vs OSU?

11 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Keep halftime to the usual 15. 

Reduce the number of commercials

I don't mind the longer halftimes (especially because of the marching bands)...I do agree that there are way too many commercial breaks (and the NFL is ever worse at it). I guess I am in the minority here that thinks 90+ plays from a team's offense is ridiculous. 

23 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I don't mind the longer halftimes (especially because of the marching bands)...I do agree that there are way too many commercial breaks (and the NFL is ever worse at it). I guess I am in the minority here that thinks 90+ plays from a team's offense is ridiculous. 

I like the up tempo teams though. Plays are more fun to watch than all the stuff in between. More plays = more action, no?

19 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

I like the up tempo teams though. Plays are more fun to watch than all the stuff in between. More plays = more action, no?

i think he's talking more about the game clock rules.

stopping clock to move 1st down chains is HUGE for offenses in college.

I'd be fine if they did away with the clock stopping to move the chains after a 1st down.  At the end of the half or end of the game it gives the offense extra time and they don't have to burn time outs, which puts the defense at a slight disadvantage, imo.  Especially if its yardage in huge chunks, allows coaches more time to call in plays and for them to get settled.  

I've always thought the rules for ncaa basketball and football should mirror the NBA and NFL anyhow.  It's not so different that it bothers me or anything like that, I just think it makes more sense and would better prepare those able to turn pro adjust better.

Here's a thought on that? Are chains anachronistic? But could there be a device(s) that measures ten yards from first down digitally so chains don't have to be moved anymore?

I still think play calling should be done exclusively by players on the field. If they didn't need the sideline to call it in, you can shave 5? 10? seconds off each play. In the past decade the coordinator gets a look-see at the defensive alignment THEN calls the play in. 

Archived