Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-2017 NCAA Football Discussion Thread

The Evil Genius

On 12/31/2016 at 3:41 AM, Major Harris said:

let me hear your theories.

one of mine is that we just aren't as talented as the big name teams.  one of our advantages, especially defensively, is a scheme that is tough to prepare for in one week.  a bowl game alleviates that, and talent gap is exposed.

or holgy sucks.  i don't know which one.  i think holgerson is the coach of any team i root for that has been around the longest without me having a solid opinion of him one way or another.

Teams play something similar to the 3-3-5 in nickel and dime packages. So it's really not that much different than a 3-4. 

I thought it was telling (and even more so in the first half) how many times Howard decided to run on his own read. 21 carries for the game..for a guy who was barely averaging 10 carries. It was almost like he was auditioning for something. Didn't that seem odd to you?

Also..I think a lot of the Florida players on the team were hurt by playing in a Florida bowl. Maybe I'm wrong on that..but I think they'd not have lost focus so much had they been in San Antonio or at another bowl. 

That takes nothing away from Miami. They played a good game..and they were at home too. So who knows really.. 

On 12/31/2016 at 7:50 PM, Major Harris said:

It has.  But I'm not sure the recruiting bump was as large as the competition bump.   

And the qb situation has been tough.  

WVU has definitely improved talent wise. That can be seen by the much increased presence in the NFL. However, they became competitive again under RichRod by using an offense that few used. Now everyone uses it. So getting by with scheme alone can't make up the difference anymore. 

On 1/1/2017 at 9:35 AM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

That makes sense. I think they'll get over the jump though I am not sure if Holg will be the one to do it. 

Hopefully the QB situation stays tough for the next 8-9 months anyway..

I'm thinking Will Grier is the answer to that problem. Sorry to see Tech lose their best QB, WR, and TE before next years game. I'm sure it will still be competitive and hostile anyways. :)

---

Some more thoughts. Remind me again how badly PsU was punished for covering up decades worth of pedophilia? :rolleyes:

Also..its getting harder and harder to root for college football. Unless you are one of the 10 million bandwagon Tide fans (or alumni),  I'm not sure how much fun can be gained going into the season knowing that you have little to no shot of ever playing in the big game. At least in NCAAB, the Kenctucky and Dukes of the world lose, frequently. 

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Teams play something similar to the 3-3-5 in nickel and dime packages. So it's really not that much different than a 3-4. 

I thought it was telling (and even more so in the first half) how many times Howard decided to run on his own read. 21 carries for the game..for a guy who was barely averaging 10 carries. It was almost like he was auditioning for something. Didn't that seem odd to you?

Also..I think a lot of the Florida players on the team were hurt by playing in a Florida bowl. Maybe I'm wrong on that..but I think they'd not have lost focus so much had they been in San Antonio or at another bowl. 

That takes nothing away from Miami. They played a good game..and they were at home too. So who knows really.. 

WVU has definitely improved talent wise. That can be seen by the much increased presence in the NFL. However, they became competitive again under RichRod by using an offense that few used. Now everyone uses it. So getting by with scheme alone can't make up the difference anymore. 

I'm thinking Will Grier is the answer to that problem. Sorry to see Tech lose their best QB, WR, and TE before next years game. I'm sure it will still be competitive and hostile anyways. :)

---

Some more thoughts. Remind me again how badly PsU was punished for covering up decades worth of pedophilia? :rolleyes:

Also..its getting harder and harder to root for college football. Unless you are one of the 10 million bandwagon Tide fans (or alumni),  I'm not sure how much fun can be gained going into the season knowing that you have little to no shot of ever playing in the big game. At least in NCAAB, the Kenctucky and Dukes of the world lose, frequently. 

3-3-5 as a base defense is a lot different than nickel and dime packages.  odd fronts are not easy to prepare for.

14 minutes ago, Major Harris said:

3-3-5 as a base defense is a lot different than nickel and dime packages.  odd fronts are not easy to prepare for.

I was saying that the 3-3-5 wasn't much different from a 3-4 team playing nickel. Both have 5 defensive backs..and a lot of teams go into the nickel on obvious passing downs.

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I was saying that the 3-3-5 wasn't much different from a 3-4 team playing nickel. Both have 5 defensive backs..and a lot of teams go into the nickel on obvious passing downs.

i think we agree here mostly.  scheme isn't as big of a factor nowadays.  and our scheme doesn't make up for the talent gap.

i think richt is reaaallly onto something big in miami.

1 hour ago, Major Harris said:

i think richt is reaaallly onto something big in miami.

Well they lost their all time passing leader (hard to believe) in Kaaya (who is going pro) and outside of Bama, NCAAF really is a QB driven sport. So we will see if they can still move forward without the stud QB.

18 minutes ago, LeesburgSkinFan said:

Richt will do fine at Miami, but the U dominance of the past will never be back.  The landscape has changed too dramatically since.

Never say never.  The recruiting in South Florida is so friggin rich that it wouldn't take Miami long to get back to being a power program if they got the right coach.

20 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Well they lost their all time passing leader (hard to believe) in Kaaya (who is going pro) and outside of Bama, NCAAF really is a QB driven sport. So we will see if they can still move forward without the stud QB.

I think it's coach driven, not QB driven.  Just like in CBB, coaches are the real stars.  Take a look at the playoff programs these past three years and it's a laundry list of most of the best coaching staffs in CFB.  Same for the ones who just missed the cut, like Harbaugh's staff this year, David Shaw's last year, and Art Briles's in 2014.

Getting a great coaching staff is the first and biggest step to becoming a championship caliber program.  That said, I'm not sure Richt is a truly great coach.  I think he's a great recruiter and he has always done a good job coaching defense, but I'm not sure he's done a good job utilizing all of the incredible offensive talent he's had to work with over the years.  His very traditional pro-style offense is great for producing NFL prospects, but it's hard to execute and it doesn't keep pace with the  more flexible and innovative offenses you see the power programs running.

Yup. You gotta have the pieces: good recruiting AND good coaching. You have to coach up these players—whether they are 3 star or 5 star recruits, they are not finished products. Helps also to not be a complete human failure like Lane Kiffin.

13 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Coker was pretty good

I don't think so. He inherited the greatest college football 3deep ever assembled. Once the Butch Davis recruits left, he had nothing. 

Any one of us could have coached that team to a national title 

On 1/3/2017 at 10:35 AM, The Evil Genius said:

Im thinking Will Grier is the answer to that problem. Sorry to see Tech lose their best QB, WR, and TE before next years game. I'm sure it will still be competitive and hostile anyways. :)

At least you won't be surprised at my excuse when we get stomped 

Bama could sub out their entire starting units and still win titles. There is nothing noble or special about what they do. They just have ridiculously unfair talent levels and bully everybody else. That's not engaging or entertaining. 

Its a cold, emotionless factory. Yawn. 

On 1/4/2017 at 6:00 PM, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I feel like he's been the QB for at least 6 years 

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Bama could sub out their entire starting units and still win titles. There is nothing noble or special about what they do. They just have ridiculously unfair talent levels and bully everybody else. That's not engaging or entertaining. 

Its a cold, emotionless factory. Yawn. 

That, and they seem to be getting the majority of the calls so far.

Archived