Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 10 Most Embarrassing U.S. Presidential Moments

JMS

10.  George W. Bush Mission Accomplished Speech on Iraq, May 1, 2003.    US ultimately removed troops from Iraq 2011.

9.   Thomas Jefferson,  The Embargo Act of 1807..   Jefferson decides to punish Europe by denying them all American exports.

8.  FDR 1942. Internment of Japanese Citizens.  Executive Irder 9066  110,000 folks detained. 

More than 60% US Citizens.   Many were detained for the duration of the war.

7.  Ronald Reagan,  Iran Contra Affair.    Regan decides to violate US Law to sell arms to Iran and direct the funds to the Right Wing Contras.

6.   Woodrow Wilson..   Espionage(1917) and Sedition(1918) acts which launched the US into it's first Red Scare and made it illegal to criticize the US government during WWI.    Legal basis of the Palmer Raids of 1919 and 1920.  Caused many American citizens to be viewed as enemies of the state simple due to their political beliefs or even ethnic backgrounds..

5.  Bill Clinton,   Lewinsky Scandal and subsequent impeachment.   On National TV, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman,  Miss Lewinsky"....   Bill She kept that blue dress.    Not the first President to face a sexual scandal... first President to be impeached in the 20th century.   While Clinton was ultimately not found guilty in a highly political environment and was able to complete his second term in office;   the special prosecutor was able to show a pattern of sexual harassment which resulted in compliment women advancing their careers and women who objected to his attentions loosing their jobs.

4.  James Buchanan, entire Presidency    Perhaps the worst President in American History.  1 term in office, did not run for a second term..  Did nothing to alleviate or discuss  the rift between North and South.   Civil War breaks out 1 month after he leaves office.  Replaced by Abraham Lincoln.  In the 1860's many people referred to the US Civil War as the Buchanan War.

3.  John F. Kennedy,   Bay of Pigs Invasion of Cuba.   An invasion conceived of during the Eisenhower Administration approved early in the Kennedy Administration;  April 17th 1961 the CIA backs a paramilitary force of anti Castro exPatriots invasion of Cuba and attempted overthrow of Castro's Regime.   Insurgency fails miserable.   Immediately after the failed invasion Cuba more openly shifts their allegiance to the Soviet Union.   Kennedy embarrassed by the debacle declares he wanted to break up the CIA into small pieces and scatter it in the wind.

2. John Adams, Allien and Sedition Acts,  1798  John Adams..   After the french revolution the US Gov under Adams shifted our international interests in favor of Great Britain.    In retaliation France started to seize american merchant ships and rebuked the US minister sent to France resulting in the Quazai War.    Adams responds by passing 4 new laws which suppressed US decent of his policies and threatened to deport foreigners who disagreed with his policies.   Adams was never elected to a second term.

1. Richard Nixon,  Watergate Scandal (1972) & Resignation of President Richard Nixon.   After using the FBI, CIA and IRS to bully political opponents.  After multiple cabinet officials resigned rather than participate in his attempts to use the power of his office to shield him from the investigation.  Richard Nixon becomes the first US President to resign from office.

Honorable Mention

Andrew Jackson,  Petticoat Affair 1830-31.

James Garfield, Star Route Scandal 1881

Barak Obama / Kathleen Sibelius   Failed Launch of ACA Web Site.  2013.

George Washington  Whiskey Rebellion(1791-94)

What do you think?

"Mission Accomplished" at #10 is absurd. And I don't know how getting a bj tops that or sticking American citizens in camps. Those two (10 and 8) would be in my top 3 (I'd keep Nixon at 1). I'm partial to modern history though so...

Yeah I don't know..   Mission Accomplished was bad,  but ultimately it didn't affect much.    The Dept of Defense had gone through Bush's speech and had removed all references to "Mission Accomplished" phrase.   Problem was they missed the 20 foot long banner hung across the super structure on the aircraft carier.

Clinton's scandal with Lewinsky was a huge blow to his Presidency.    He lied in the face of the American people,  which he was forced to admit...   He had to pay a 1 million dollar sexual harassment settlement.   The sitting US President was disbarred such that he could not practice law for something like 5 years..   And of coarse Clinton became the only modern president to be impeached.   So all that was significant for his office.. but not necessarily the country...

I rated 4,3,2 higher because they were not only a source of embarrassment for the Presidency,  but they also severely impacted the course of the nation and the average American at the time.

#1 was a national obsession and ultimately was a huge loss of prestige for the presidential office,  and cost Nixon years off his second term.   Nixon the first President to resign from office.   That has to be #1..

Anyway the list is subjective..   love to hear your own list.

Where did you get that list? I would say most of those, are something worse than embarrassing. Papa Bush throwing up on the Japanese PM was embarrassing. Your list is something much worse.

Yeah that was awesome..    I tried to pick more serious events....   I considered Bush vomiting on the Japanese PM on national TV..  Or his blowing his nose on Japanese TV and then putting his handkerchief back in his pocket....  Two things the Japense public universally find repulsive...     Or Jerry Ford falling down the steps of airforce one....

But all those issues things were more personally embarrassing, and didn't effect the nation or the office.   I was going for more substantial policy infractions given we are about to choose between Trump and Clinton for President.

Where is Abraham Lincoln suspending Habeus Corpus and throwing opposition members in jail and keeping them there with no trial? Waymore embarrassing than a BJ or mission accomplished.

Hell man that's how he won the war...   I don't see that as embarrassing.   If he didn't suspend Habeas Corpus and throw anybody who even spoke about succession in jail.. Maryland would have succeeded and it would have been game over as Washington DC and the entire union leadership would have been behind enemy lines.

I guess if you're a southerner that's a sour point,   but those actions were pretty necessary given the country was in open rebellion and Maryland's sympathies with the south.

Hell man that's how he won the war...   I don't see that as embarrassing.   If he didn't suspend Habeas Corpus and throw anybody who even spoke about succession in jail.. Maryland would have succeeded and it would have been game over as Washington DC and the entire union leadership would have been behind enemy lines.

I guess if you're a southerner that's a sour point,   but those actions were pretty necessary given the country was in open rebellion and Maryland's sympathies with the south.

So it's only embarrassing to completely ignore the Constitution if you disagree with the reason? It has nothing to do with being Southern. It's pretty embarrassing that we are still talking about Northern and Southern 150+ years removed form the Civil War.

Lots of things on your list, I don't think qualify as "embarrassing".  "Treasonous" or "disastrous", maybe. 

When I think of "embarrassing", I think of things like these: 

bush.jpg

"Embarrassing" things are supposed to be funny.

Lots of things on your list, I don't think qualify as "embarrassing".  "Treasonous" or "disastrous", maybe. 

When I think of "embarrassing", I think of things like these: 

"Embarrassing" things are supposed to be funny.

If fairness, the two you chose were not embarrassing as much as accurate and true ;)

The real #1.

William Howard Taft, 27th President of the United States (1909-1913), was a large man. He reportedly weighed 355 pounds while in office, and according to rumor, he was so large that he once got stuck in the white house bathtub.

The hate that Lincoln gets 150 years later is amusing. It's always the same sad middle aged white males who read about his presidency on a "biased" (cough) message board somewhere and have decided it's worth taking up the cross.

I think that's the mark of a great leader and great president. By how much the less desirable elements of society dislike you even this much later.

Along those lines...the same thing that Bubba gets labeled with as embarassing, 41 Presidents (and really, probably low 30's) more than likely got away with as part of their care package. Bubba's problem was that he lied about it. He should have been hell yeah I got some. Its a perk of the job. 

Watergate and Internments are easily 1 and 2 to me.

No mention of Dubya rubbing down German Chancellor Angela Merkel? Her reaction is priceless. Or Ford falling down the steps of an airplane?

The hate that Lincoln gets 150 years later is amusing. It's always the same sad middle aged white males who read about his presidency on a "biased" (cough) message board somewhere and have decided it's worth taking up the cross.

I think that's the mark of a great leader and great president. By how much the less desirable elements of society dislike you even this much later.

Oh, I think a lot of the things Lincoln (and the country, at the tine), did were morally wrong and unconstitutional.

I think they worked (they saved the union), and necessary (I don't think lesser measures would have worked). 

So I forgive him for those things. 

Well, you can't safely burn it if you don't take it up somewhere safe....

Archived