Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dipping Tobacco

I have been smoking for over twenty years.

From Camel Lights, to Marlboro Lights to Marlboro Reds, for the last twenty years I've got my nicotine one way, and that was through smoking cigarettes.

Well, I have tried to use electronic cigarettes and vaporizers inside my house, when playing video games, that I can't stop playing all of a sudden to go outside and smoke.

About three months ago, I got a coupon in the mail for a free tin can of Skoal.

I tried their Peach blend, and well these marketing geniuses got me.

I love the stuff now. I have tried every brand there pretty much is, and all the flavors they have and have come to find that my favorite "flavor" is "Straight"

I like Copenhagen, Skoal and my real favorite is called Stokers.

Anyways, I figure I can't be the only one here that enjoys dipping tobacco or moist snuff as it's technically called.

So I started this thread to discuss it. Maybe even help fellow dippers find brand and flavors around the area, or other areas.

So my first question for anyone that dips in the area (DC), is where do I find the Cope series (high end Copenhagen) in this area?

My first contribution to the the discussion, is that the Food Lions in the area have the best selection and pricing I've seen since I've started.

Obligatory mention of how dipping is tied to mouth and throat cancer.  

It is, however, far better than smoking cigarettes, so that's something.  If you are unable to quit your nicotine addiction, it is better to get your fix this way.

The fact that chewing and spitting is disgusting isn't really my concern, but I suspect the women in your life are pretty grossed out.

Is it?

Yes.  Pretty much anything is better than smoking cigarettes.   Hitting yourself in the head with a hammer is better than smoking cigarettes.

The risk of lung cancer and other respiratory disease with cigarettes is far higher than the risk of mouth/throat/salivary gland cancer from dipping.    Both suck for your health, but cigarettes are worse.  

I've gone through this same cycle a few times. Take the edge off of not smoking by dipping, Then I drink some beers at some point and can't resist a cigarette. Then I'm a smoker again. Gonna try again soon. I liked this stuff called Hawken. It used to be everywhere but I never see it anymore. I think you can maybe get it at Sam's Club or WalMart. It's kind of sweet and doesn't set your mouth on fire like everything else I tried.

I've gone through this same cycle a few times. Take the edge off of not smoking by dipping, Then I drink some beers at some point and can't resist a cigarette. Then I'm a smoker again. Gonna try again soon. I liked this stuff called Hawken. It used to be everywhere but I never see it anymore. I think you can maybe get it at Sam's Club or WalMart. It's kind of sweet and doesn't set your mouth on fire like everything else I tried.

finally truth in advertising:    hawkin .... brown lungers into a half-empty schlitz can for the rest of the evening

I like it. A muzzleloader or hogger has the same nicotine that smoking four cigarettes at one time will give you.

While smoking a pipe and drinking Espresso and bourbon....the right chemical balance

Irish coffee works pretty well

I dipped for 15 years, skoal mint. Hardest thing I ever did was quit, New Year's Eve 2000.

I had to quit b/c that little flap of skin in between gum and teeth was gone and one day, I spit into my cup and it was totally red with blood...my gums were wearing away and some teeth were getting loose....they have since gotten much better, thank god.

Dip has 3x more nicotine than cigarettes, so when I quit the nicotine withdrawal was killer.... My Vision was blurry for 3 days and I slept like 12 hrs a day for at least 2 weeks. I got addicted to starlite mints in place of dip. I couldn't go anywhere without the mints and I put on15lbs.

Haven't dipped since, though I do smoke a cigar on weekends in spring/summer.

It's a gross habit that I hid from girlfriends.. One gf broke up with me when she found my regular dip cup. A big gulp cup from Super Bowl 22..it's was so nasty.....and to this day I get the craving just about every day. That crap gets ahold of you and won't let go.

i dipped for 14 years. and like USS Redskins, quitting was hard and took a lot of support. i still get cravings. at the end of the day, though, i decided that freedom was worth more than satisfying my addiction.

i would not have made it through without a forum (not dissimilar to ES) where you post your promise not to use every day and then keep your promise. i'd guess that most people would think it weird to get to know people on a message board and feel like your promise to them meant something... but i imagine you all get it.

if you want to quit (and are serious... the message board isn't for "trying"), think about giving http://www.killthecan.org/ a try. today is my 1808th day quit, and i still post my promise 90% of the time. happy to answer any questions via PM if you'd like to quit.

Archived