Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE 2016 SCHEDULE

TK

Random fact I thought of was that, even though we have the Thanksgiving game at 4 pm against Dallas, none of our three night games are against division opponents. That is rare. The last time I think that happened was in '99 when we played both Arizona and San Francisco, and both were road games.  Of course all three night games are at FedEx this season.......seems like many of our night games overall have been there (at least since we moved there.....don't know about when we were at RFK).

I don't think it's that bad. We're at 17th in strength of schedule rating. Every year each team in a division plays the same opponents except for the two that are determined by place in the division.There are two teams in the East with new head coaches and the other has a QB that will likely get injured again.

My only objection is the timing and amount of rest between certain games. If we win more divisional games than we lose and do better against the NFC and common opponents, we're on top again. Fans of every team complain about brutal schedules. We're no different.

If we start 0-2 at home that would be disastrous... worst case scenario we need a split... season openers are really tough to predict.  We look at Pittsburgh as this huge hurdle..., Pittsburgh may sleep on us though.

The NBC Man Cruch Chris Collinsworth Cowboys always get hype to be the mid 90's Cowboys... but its Dallas/Washington so it'll come down to some weird ending... coin flip.

HTTR

It's a rough schedule but that is to be expected from a division winner.

I like the schedule overall though, but given dallas' easy schedule this year, I'd expect another close finish. I like the final game being at home vs. Giants.

The tough part of this schedule is not the opponents. Below are the W/L for our opponents:

2015 Preseason - 122-133-1 or 0.478

2015 Actual - 119-137 or 0.465.

2016 Preseason - 126-130 or 0.492.

Looking at actual fro 2015 and preseason fro 2016 (the only data we have since the season has not been played), is only +7 games and 0.027% in terms of wining %!!

The toughness is how it's scheduled which is all on the NFL and is total Bull****! 4 of the last 6 games on the road with 3 of them in a row! Earlier we have to go to Detroit then from there to London! To top that off we have a short week I have never seen which is we play MNF against the Panthers then have to travel to Chicago for a SATURDAY game! WTF is that???

I don't care who the opponents are. We have to beat them to win just like everyone else. We paly who we play. I welcome the challenge. But when the TIMING of the schedule puts you at a disadvantage then it's garbage. I get it's going to happen some throughout the schedule. Everyone has some short weeks. But there are some overly manufactured extra tough timing that's totally on the NFL. The can set the program to not allow this.

Let me ask this, has there ever in history been another team with the MNF followed by a Saturday game? Also why is it we play dallast on short weeks both times! I do not know how many teams have been on the road before a London game, but it seems add that all the quirks of the schedule you can have we get them all!!!!

Sorry, I am not typically a conspiracy theorist, but this scheduling thing is getting to be bull****. Last year we played a record 5 teams as they came off byes! Now this crap! I smell a giant rat! Yes mara, looking right at you!

If we start 0-2 at home that would be disastrous... worst case scenario we need a split... season openers are really tough to predict.  We look at Pittsburgh as this huge hurdle..., Pittsburgh may sleep on us though.

The NBC Man Cruch Chris Collinsworth Cowboys always get hype to be the mid 90's Cowboys... but its Dallas/Washington so it'll come down to some weird ending... coin flip.

HTTR

Well considering our home stadium will be half full with Steelers fans. It's not really a road game for them.

To top that off we have a short week I have never seen which is we play MNF against the Panthers then have to travel to Chicago for a SATURDAY game! WTF is that???

Let me ask this, has there ever in history been another team with the MNF followed by a Saturday game? 

Yeah it sucks they follow up Mon. night with a game Sat. against Chicago, but with week 16 being on Christmas day, everyone is playing on Sat. except for the 2 games on Christmas and the one on Mon. night. So the league either had to schedule them on back-to-back Mon nights (rare) or have them play on Christmas day.

While they do have 3 short weeks, consider DallAss is also playing on a short week for one of those games (albeit at home).

There are no games against teams coming off a bye.

There is only 1 game against a team with extended rest (Midgets play Thur in wk 16).

They will play 2 games with extended rest of their own (Vikings after the bye, Arizona after Thanksgiving).

It's a tough schedule, and aside from the 3 straight road games, I think pretty fair. They even catch a bit of a break with the extended rest during the 3-game road trip.

Yeah it sucks they follow up Mon. night with a game Sat. against Chicago, but with week 16 being on Christmas day, everyone is playing on Sat. except for the 2 games on Christmas and the one on Mon. night. So the league either had to schedule them on back-to-back Mon nights (rare) or have them play on Christmas day.

While they do have 3 short weeks, consider DallAss is also playing on a short week for one of those games (albeit at home).

There are no games against teams coming off a bye.

There is only 1 game against a team with extended rest (Midgets play Thur in wk 16).

They will play 2 games with extended rest of their own (Vikings after the bye, Arizona after Thanksgiving).

It's a tough schedule, and aside from the 3 straight road games, I think pretty fair. They even catch a bit of a break with the extended rest during the 3-game road trip.

Thanks for the considered response. But we will have to agree to disagree. I think it's anything but fair. In the end it really doesn't matter. What I think is not going to make any difference to the schedule.

Hopefully we are playing well enough it becomes moot. 

It's completely crazy to predict how good or bad we'll be based on our schedule before even any mini camps or OTAs or the draft begins. Our game against any of those teams could look much, MUCH different by week 1, due to training camp or pre-season injuries. On the flip side, easy games could become much harder if players start looking great in pre-season or training camp.

That's still not going to stop me from predicting 13-3 though :P

Cooleyfan1993, I read that the Colts chose to forgo a bye week post London, probably because it was too early in the season.

Agreed that it's WAY too early to predict based on schedule.   Our opponents are going to generally be better than last season, by design, but let's be honest -- there are ALWAYS team who we see as a cake walk who are then dominant, and vice versa.  Happens every single year.

I hate the 3 home prime time games thing.  Hate it.   

I also think it's unfair we have a Sunday Night late game going into our short Thanksgiving week.   

Am I the only one that thinks this is a tough schedule?

This is the ranking of Strength of Schedule.  Obviously, this is just based on opponents W/L record from last year and NOT how the schedule looks-short weeks, trip to London, etc.  Find it interesting that all other NFCE teams are near the bottom.

T-1. Atlanta Falcons (0.555)

T-1. San Francisco 49ers (0.555)

3. Los Angeles Rams (0.551)

4. New Orleans Saints (0.547)

T-5. Seattle Seahawks (0.543)

T-5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0.543)

T-7. Arizona Cardinals (0.531)

T-7. New York Jets (0.531)

9. New England Patriots (0.523)

10. Buffalo Bills (0.520)

11. Miami Dolphins (0.516)

12. Carolina Panthers (0.512)

13. San Diego Chargers (0.508)

14. Denver Broncos (0.504)

15. Oakland Raiders (0.500)

16. Kansas City Chiefs (0.496)

17. Washington Redskins (0.492)

18. Minnesota Vikings (0.488)

T-19. Baltimore Ravens (0.484)

T-19. Houston Texans (0.484)

21. Cleveland Browns (0.480)

22. Indianapolis Colts (0.477)

T-23. Jacksonville Jaguars (0.473)

T-23. Pittsburgh Steelers (0.473)

T-23. Tennessee Titans (0.473)

26. Philadelphia Eagles (0.469)

T-27. Cincinnati Bengals (0.465)

T-27. Detroit Lions (0.465)

T-27. Dallas Cowboys (0.465)

T-30. Chicago Bears (0.461)

T-30. New York Giants (0.461)

Well considering our home stadium will be half full with Steelers fans. It's not really a road game for them.

If this game was later in the season, I'd be inclined to agree, BUT, it's the 1st game, the home-opener, and we won the division.

Even our fickle fan-base should show up for this one.

There will still be a decent showing, by Steelers fans. We're close, and their fans travel well. I don't think it will be nearly as bad, as that 2008 debacle.

My beef with the schedule, isn't the opponents, but the timing of some of those games.

The NFL is putting the ****ing screws to us, in that regard.

Tough schedule it will be hard to get to 10-6 and repeat in the East.  We need Scot to shore up the defense and hopefully draft another starting OLM because I think if the had 1 more powerful guy on the OL the running game would take off making it easier on the 2016 defense.  Nothing helps a mediocre defense better than a strong running game.

I just hate the fact that it's a Sunday night game against the Packers before the Thanksgiving game.  That is an extremely short period of time and tough no matter how you cut it.

It is.

The one thing that helps, though, is that it is the Cowboys that the Redskins are facing in that short week.

The Redskins know the Cowboys well. Dallas has the same QB, the same offensive players, the same defense, and the same coaches they've had for several years.

So only so much game planning will be needed. :)

goskins10 writes:

The toughness is how it's scheduled which is all on the NFL and is total Bull****! 4 of the last 6 games on the road with 3 of them in a row! Earlier we have to go to Detroit then from there to London! To top that off we have a short week I have never seen which is we play MNF against the Panthers then have to travel to Chicago for a SATURDAY game! WTF is that???

Well, the Redskins are only playing that Saturday because Sunday is Christmas Day. Most teams will be off that day (with the exception of four).

I guess they could've gotten one of those teams to play Monday night, but, oh well. :)

Archived