Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tesla Model 3 Release

SkinsHokieFan

The will just disable the radar if they are serious about vision only.  But they aren’t serious I don’t think. The model S and Model x as well as 3 and Ys outside of North America will continue to have radar. It makes no sense to continue to install radars if you know pure vision will work.

i don’t think it was to save money, I think it was done to ship the cars out. The radars just aren’t available. BMW is having similar issues although they handled it a little better, especially about the lumbar thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Firefighters have to blast 40 times more water at burning Tesla than other cars

Firefighters needed 40 times the amount of water normally used to contain a fire of a gas-powered vehicle when attempting to extinguish a blaze when a Tesla crashed. 

"Normally a car fire you can put out with 500 to 1,000 gallons of water," Austin Fire Department Division Chief Thayer Smith said, according The Independent. "But Teslas may take up to 30,000-40,000 gallons of water, maybe even more, to extinguish the battery pack once it starts burning and that was the case here."

Video footage obtained by Fox 7 shows a driver of the electric vehicle slamming into gas tanks at a station in Tarrytown. Authorities said the lithium battery cells powering the Tesla Model X can cause fires long after a crash — a situation Division Chief Eddie Martinez told Fox 7 the department was prepared to address. 

Click on the link for the full article

Tech Company Says Its Tesla Cybertruck Camper Has $80 Million In Pre-Orders

A company that has developed a pop-up camper for the Tesla Cybertruck claims to have already received $80 million in pre-orders.

The camper is dubbed the CyberLandr and comes from a company named Stream It. We first wrote about the camper accessory in April and while Stream It specializes in artificial intelligence and software, it has seemingly created an accessory that Cybertruck reservation holders are very interested in.

Speaking with Business Insider, Stream It chief executive Lance King says the thought of the Cyberlandr came up when he was pre-ordering his own Cybertruck and realized that no existing RV or camper would be compatible with the Tesla’s unique shape. Despite his company having no previous experience with campers, King believes this is a positive.

Click on the link for the full story

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 11:21 PM, China said:

Tesla in autopilot mode hits Snohomish County deputy’s SUV

A driver says their Tesla was in autopilot mode when they hit a Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office SUV Saturday.

A deputy was responding to a crash in the 25200 block of 103rd Ave NE in the Arlington area where a vehicle had sheared a power pole in half. The deputy was parked on the shoulder with his emergency lights flashing and had gotten out of the SUV to speak with firefighters.

About 30 seconds later, the Tesla hit the deputy’s SUV, causing significant damage, the sheriff’s office said.

But autopilot isn’t exactly what it sounds like; it’s a driver assist mode.

On Tesla’s website, the company states that, “Before enabling Autopilot, the driver first needs to agree to ‘keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times’ and to always ‘maintain control and responsibility for your vehicle.’”

The Washington State Patrol, which is leading the investigation into the crash, told KIRO 7 that even if a driver is in autopilot, they are “still required to be paying attention to the road and ready for hazards.”

The driver was ticketed for causing or permitting the vehicle to be unlawfully operated.

Safety experts said the scene in Arlington is becoming more and more frequent across the country.

Jason Levine is the Executive Director of the Center for the Auto Safety in Washington, D.C. He said it really comes down to people misusing the technology on the car, but also says at some point part of the blame falls on the company.

“They’re crashing into stopped vehicles on the road we’re seeing it with police vehicles, we’re seeing it with fire trucks, ambulances there was a turned over semi-truck the other day in California that resulted in a death,” he said. “When Tesla calls it autopilot, when Tesla calls it full self-driving, that convinces people that it’s something that it isn’t.”

I think the autopilot is programmed to hit police cars:

On 8/29/2021 at 11:34 AM, China said:

I think the autopilot is programmed to hit police cars:

US Asks Tesla How Autopilot Responds to Emergency Vehicles

The U.S. government's highway safety agency wants detailed information on how Tesla's Autopilot system detects and responds to emergency vehicles parked on highways.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration made the detailed request in an 11-page letter sent to the electric car maker that was dated Tuesday.

The letter is part of a wide-ranging investigation into how the company's partially automated driving system behaves when first responder vehicles are parked while crews deal with crashes or other hazards.

The agency wants to know how Teslas detect a crash scene, including flashing lights, road flares, reflective vests worn by responders and vehicles parked on the road.

• 1 month later...

Tesla moves headquarters from California to Texas

Tesla is moving its headquarters from Palo Alto, California, to Austin, Texas, CEO Elon Musk announced at the company’s shareholder meeting on Thursday.

The meeting took place at Tesla’s vehicle assembly plant under construction outside of Austin on a property that borders the Colorado River, near the city’s airport. 

However, the company plans to increase production in its California plant regardless of the headquarters move.

“To be clear we will be continuing to expand our activities in California,” Musk said. “Our intention is to increase output from Fremont and Giga Nevada by 50%. If you go to our Fremont factory it’s jammed.”

But, he added, “It’s tough for people to afford houses, and people have to come in from far away....There’s a limit to how big you can scale in the Bay Area.”

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2021 at 6:21 PM, China said:

Firefighters have to blast 40 times more water at burning Tesla than other cars

Firefighters needed 40 times the amount of water normally used to contain a fire of a gas-powered vehicle when attempting to extinguish a blaze when a Tesla crashed. 

"Normally a car fire you can put out with 500 to 1,000 gallons of water," Austin Fire Department Division Chief Thayer Smith said, according The Independent. "But Teslas may take up to 30,000-40,000 gallons of water, maybe even more, to extinguish the battery pack once it starts burning and that was the case here."

Video footage obtained by Fox 7 shows a driver of the electric vehicle slamming into gas tanks at a station in Tarrytown. Authorities said the lithium battery cells powering the Tesla Model X can cause fires long after a crash — a situation Division Chief Eddie Martinez told Fox 7 the department was prepared to address. 

Driver killed after Tesla burst into flames in Clermont County crash, fire chief says

The driver of a Tesla is dead following a crash in which the car caught on fire, according to a fire chief on the scene in Clermont County.

The crash happened around 4 a.m. Monday on Gaskins Road and Red Fox Avenue, Clermont County dispatchers said.

The Tesla hit a pole and the driver was pronounced dead at the scene, dispatchers said.

Nearby Merwin Elementary School in Withamsville was closed Monday because it lost power due to the crash.

The identity of the driver has not been released.

While the model of the Tesla involved in the crash has not been released, Business Insider reported in August about the challenges firefighters can face with electric vehicle fires.

Business Insider said Austin, Texas firefighters used “40 times more water to contain a Tesla” fire compared to “a mainstream gas-powered car that was on fire.”

The report sourced firefighters who said the lithium battery cells in a Model X “can lead to fires breaking out hours after a crash.”

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell you that FSD is completely useless.

I bought my Model 3 in December. It came with 3 free months of FSD in an attempt to get me to subscribe to it. I barely ever needed the features of FSD. The standard Autopilot works wonderfully for most people's needs. It will keep your speed, slow down if needed, speed up if needed, maintain lanes. Perfect for driving on highways including when in traffic.

I have no idea why any person would pay for FSD and logically feel that it was a worthy purchase. It doesn't work, it never will work and it's a novelty at most. Tesla's FSD will never be at anything more than a level 3 without more expensive equipment. Their stereoscopic video won't work no matter what kind of programming they put into it.

• 3 weeks later...

The Tesla 'Cyberquad' ATV still isn't on sale, but a kid version is

As Elon Musk wrapped up his presentation of the Tesla Cybertruck back in November 2019, he had one more thing he still wanted to show off.

"Oh, yeah. We also made an ATV," he said, as if he had nearly forgotten about it.

A rider came out in an electric four-wheeled all-terrain vehicle and rode up a ramp into the cybertruck's bed. It was a memorable moment but not much was heard again about the ATV which, some observers noted, looked almost exactly like a disguised Yamaha, and not an ATV Tesla had made itself.

But now Tesla has offered a child-sized version, made by Radio Flyer, of the so-called "Cyberquad for kids" ages 8 and up. Or, at least it did for short time. Those who were quick enough to order one of the $1,900 electric ride-on toys might get it in time for Christmas. But maybe not.

Tesla's online shop now lists the "Cyberquad for Kids" as out of stock. A note underneath the product description says "Cyberquad for Kids will begin shipping in 2-4 weeks. Orders are not guaranteed to arrive prior to the holidays."

The Tesla Cyberquad for Kids has a top speed of 10 miles an hour.

Sold out. I was gonna buy one for fun…

On 11/18/2021 at 11:25 AM, Springfield said:

I can tell you that FSD is completely useless.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:25 AM, Springfield said:

I have no idea why any person would pay for FSD and logically feel that it was a worthy purchase. It doesn't work, it never will work and it's a novelty at most. Tesla's FSD will never be at anything more than a level 3 without more expensive equipment. Their stereoscopic video won't work no matter what kind of programming they put into it.

I’m not gonna try to say it’s worth 10K as it is, but Level three is still incredible useful. The new beta is useful. 

10K useful? Probably not. But that’s the price you have to pay to be on the bleeding edge.

The Car Used In Tesla's Promo Video For Autopilot Hit A Barrier During Filming According To A New York Times Story

Here's the NYT story:

Inside Tesla as Elon Musk Pushed an Unflinching Vision for Self-Driving Cars

Elon Musk built his electric car company, Tesla, around the promise that it represented the future of driving — a phrase emblazoned on the automaker’s website.

Much of that promise was centered on Autopilot, a system of features that could steer, brake and accelerate the company’s sleek electric vehicles on highways. Over and over, Mr. Musk declared that truly autonomous driving was nearly at hand — the day when a Tesla could drive itself — and that the capability would be whisked to drivers over the air in software updates.

Unlike technologists at almost every other company working on self-driving vehicles, Mr. Musk insisted that autonomy could be achieved solely with cameras tracking their surroundings. But many Tesla engineers questioned whether it was safe enough to rely on cameras without the benefit of other sensing devices — and whether Mr. Musk was promising drivers too much about Autopilot’s capabilities.

Now those questions are at the heart of an investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration after at least 12 accidents in which Teslas using Autopilot drove into parked fire trucks, police cars and other emergency vehicles, killing one person and injuring 17 others.

Families are suing Tesla over fatal crashes, and Tesla customers are suing the company for misrepresenting Autopilot and a set of sister services called Full Self Driving, or F.S.D.

As the guiding force behind Autopilot, Mr. Musk pushed it in directions other automakers were unwilling to take this kind of technology, interviews with 19 people who worked on the project over the last decade show. Mr. Musk repeatedly misled buyers about the services’ abilities, many of those people say. All spoke on the condition of anonymity, fearing retaliation from Mr. Musk and Tesla.

Mr. Musk and a top Tesla lawyer did not respond to multiple email requests for comment for this article over several weeks, including a detailed list of questions. But the company has consistently said that the onus is on drivers to stay alert and take control of their cars should Autopilot malfunction.

Here's the part described in the title of the first link:

As Tesla approached the introduction of Autopilot 2.0, most of the Autopilot team dropped their normal duties to work on a video meant to show just how autonomous the system could be. But the final video did not provide a full picture of how the car operated during the filming.

The route taken by the car had been charted ahead of time by software that created a three-dimensional digital map, a feature unavailable to drivers using the commercial version of Autopilot, according to two former members of the Autopilot team. At one point during the filming of the video, the car hit a roadside barrier on Tesla property while using Autopilot and had to be repaired, three people who worked on the video said.

The video was later used to promote Autopilot’s capabilities, and it is still on Tesla’s website.

• Haha 1

Tesla doubles down on system to prevent gas cars ‘ICEing’ Superchargers, integrates it in its app

Tesla is doubling down on a system to prevent people from blocking or “ICEing” Supercharger stalls and even integrates it into its mobile app.

The term “ICEing” a charging station is used in the EV community to describe ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicles occupying a space for an EV at a charging station.

Many places have implemented fines for parking at a charging station without charging, which has discouraged people from doing it, but in markets where those don’t exist, it can be a real problem.

In some cases, people have been doing it on purpose to make some kind of point against electric vehicles.

In China, Tesla took an interesting approach to try to prevent ICEing a Supercharger.

In 2019, it started to deploy floor locking devices that pop up from the ground at some new Supercharging stations:

Tesla-Supercharger-lock.jpeg?resize=2048

They started to appear at some new Supercharger stations being deployed by Tesla in the country.

However, the device complicated the generally smooth Supercharger experience since Tesla owners had to use a QR code and a third-party app to operate the floor locking devices.

In recent weeks, Tesla appears to be doubling down on this system.

The devices started to be implemented at every new charging station that Tesla deployed in China.

The ramp-up in the deployment of this system at Supercharger stations coincides with Tesla actually integrating the system in its mobile app.

• Like 1

Might be late to the party a bit in this thread.  But I was an early Model S adopter, I got a used 2013 in 2015 and drove it until September 10th. I loved it.  

But it developed a problem.  The little electromagnetic device which opened the charge port failed. First the magnet fell off, then one thing led to another, and they never could fix it.  I think it caused them lots of problems, so they changed the mechanism to a mechanical charge port opener I think in 2014 or 2015. So the car ran great, but you couldn’t charge it.  Which is somewhat of a unrecoverable problem.  The car also didn’t have the equipment for any of the auto drive or anything else.  It was a model year or two too old. 

Anyway, I bought a used 2020 model 3 performance with the full auto drive in September. Because my S had become a really expensive sidewalk ornament.   I wasn’t looking for the full auto drive, but it was a nice surprise on the only available used model 3 in the area.  

A couple observations: 

- The car is flipping quick.  I thought my old S was quick.  It was.  This is bananas fast.  

- The assisted autopilot is generally very good.  It even does a good job in construction sites.  I do pay attention when it’s on. I use it a heck of a lot more than I thought I would.

- it gets confused with big, open intersections and lanes that split.  If you’re familiar with the access road coming up from 66 which splits and half becomes the Dulles Access Road and half becomes the Dulles Toll Road, she (my car is named Sassy Tessi, the old S was Sweet Tessi) gets massively confused there.  

- The navigate on autopilot is, at the moment, pretty useless.  

- For reasons I can’t figure out, the assisted park only is an option on every alternate Thursday in months ending in a Y when Mercury is in retrograde.  it’s supposed to pop up and give you the option to autopark, but it happens so rarely, I’m honestly shocked when it does.  (It doesn’t matter, I can park myself, so I don’t really care.  It’s just weird. 

- I love the Green Light Assist, or whatever it’s called.  It “dings” it let you know the light has turned green.  

- I do miss the 19” screen I got used to in the S, but if we’re being honest, the 15” screen is definitely adequate. :) Though you also lose the dash.  So you go from an enormous amount of information everywhere around you to a lot less.  It’s still more than. Most other cars,  but if you’re used to the S or the X, it’s an adjustment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

- I love the Green Light Assist, or whatever it’s called.  It “dings” it let you know the light has turned green.  

If you need this feature then you're not paying attention while driving.  Stay off your (not you specifically, but in general) phone and pay attention to traffic.  BTW, it shouldn't "ding" it should be a loud ****ing air horn.

8 minutes ago, China said:

If you need this feature then you're not paying attention while driving.  Stay off your (not you specifically, but in general) phone and pay attention to traffic.  BTW, it shouldn't "ding" it should be a loud ****ing air horn.

While i agree with you, i wish all cars had this feature so I wouldn't have to keep missing left turn green arrows. 

• Like 2