Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Patheos: Obama Removes All Funding For ‘Abstinence-Only’ Sex Education

No Excuses

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2016/02/obama-removes-all-funding-for-abstinence-only-sex-education/

Good news: President Barack Obama removes all government funding for  abstinence-only sex education programs in public schools.

In particular, Obama’s 2017 budget proposal eliminates a $10 million-a-year grant program for abstinence-only education run by the Department of Health and Human Services.

Obama’s budget for the fiscal year 2017, the final budget of his administration, not only eradicates abstinence-only-until-marriage sex education funding, it also increases funds for the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program, maintains funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Division of Adolescent and School Health, and calls for a five-year extension of the Personal Responsibility Education Program, according to a statement released by The Sexuality Information and Education Council of the U.S.

Abstinence only sex education programs are dangerous and harmful programs rooted in religious ignorance and prejudice. While supporters of abstinence-only sex education often claim such programs delay sexual initiation and reduces teen pregnancy, the facts tell a different story

Chalk up another win for facts, fiscal responsibility and reasonable thinking

A meaningless gesture whose only result will be to boost Republican turnout by 3-4%.

It's not a meaningless gesture and you are grossly overestimating the turnout this will produce. The percentage of adults who support 'abstinence-only' education is somewhere around 15%. People who will be outraged by this were probably going to turn out to vote against the liberals gay loving secular agenda anyways.

Oh man, the republicans aren't going to like this one bit...

My issue in this isn't with abstinence only programs (I think abstinence should be taught in conjuction with everything else - and I assume that is what the effect would be now). What I'm interested in is the mechanics of the President removing funding - can the President do this if it was directed funding from Congress (Was is directed etc). I ask this because being in the military we're always buying stuff we don't want, but have no choice in the matter. 

Well really, how much funding do you need for abstinence only ed?

Just grab a bull horn camp outside a high school and scream

"Don't have any ****ing sex"

End of curriculum.

:silly:

See, but here's the problem, that doesn't do the job, so to ensure effectiveness of the curriculum they have to include a lot of falsehoods and misrepresentations, and that takes quite a while to get through.  Have to be thorough in their instillation of fear into people.

Lol In my experience, Republicans weren't too fond of this post from the word Obama. A large portion will dislike the rest of it too.

He probably should have checked with him before making decisions that are so pivotal in the upbringing of our sensitive youth.

My issue in this isn't with abstinence only programs (I think abstinence should be taught in conjuction with everything else - and I assume that is what the effect would be now). What I'm interested in is the mechanics of the President removing funding - can the President do this if it was directed funding from Congress (Was is directed etc). I ask this because being in the military we're always buying stuff we don't want, but have no choice in the matter.

So essentially, how can he remove funding when it's congress that appropriates it?

I suppose that is a valid point.

So essentially, how can he remove funding when it's congress that appropriates it?

This was my thought also.  How can we blame Congress for all the crap that gets put into a budget that a group doesn't even want (Army and tanks) if the President can just take it out?

I am actually for defunding stupid programs like this, I'm just asking how that all works.  Real question.

My issue in this isn't with abstinence only programs (I think abstinence should be taught in conjuction with everything else - and I assume that is what the effect would be now). What I'm interested in is the mechanics of the President removing funding - can the President do this if it was directed funding from Congress (Was is directed etc). I ask this because being in the military we're always buying stuff we don't want, but have no choice in the matter.

You missed the part in the OP that says "In particular, Obama’s 2017 budget proposal . . . "?

You missed the part in the OP that says "In particular, Obama’s 2017 budget proposal . . . "?

Thanks for clearing that up.  I totally missed it also. 

When someone posts a link to a news place I'm not familiar with, I like to poke around the site a bit to see if it seems to lean left, right, or actually just report the news in an unbiased manner (haven't ever found that last one) and WOW I didn't need to look around much to figure it out for this site. 

Still, I support the move.

Here's how you effectively teach abstinence only.

Make one of their classes be in a room with screaming kids. Best birth control available...

Once saw a commercial for Roseanne Barr's TV show. The commercial showed her and her "husband" sitting on a sofa, while their kids ran circles around the sofa, screaming and shooting each other with bows and arrows.

"My husband and I are practicing a new form of birth control. Every evening before we go to bed, we spend an hour with our children."

When someone posts a link to a news place I'm not familiar with, I like to poke around the site a bit to see if it seems to lean left, right, or actually just report the news in an unbiased manner (haven't ever found that last one) and WOW I didn't need to look around much to figure it out for this site. 

Still, I support the move.

Patheos doesn't really have any political or religious leanings. It's actually a really interesting and thought provoking platform. Even the face of abstinence-only sex education, Bristol Palin, has a column on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patheos

Patheos is a non-denominationalnon-partisan online media company providing information and commentary from various religious and nonreligious perspectives.

Upon its launch in May 2009, the website was primarily geared toward learning about religions through a reference library and other peer-reviewed resources on 27 global religions and worldviews. In its current form, the site also hosts more than 450 blogs in eleven "Faith Channels," offering commentary and news from these perspectives in topics including politics, institutions, culture, sacred texts, history, lifestyle, entertainment, family life, and business. Patheos is the largest English language religion and spirituality site in the world, while the CatholicProgressive ChristianAtheist, and Pagan Channels constitute the largest web presence for their respective traditions.

Archived