Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

28 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I recently started reading Aftermath, the canon book trilogy that takes place immediately after ROTJ.  So far, the story is solid, but the writing style is terrible and distracting. 

Short sentences.  No more than five words.  Usually only three.  Very short. Super short. Choppy? Yes. Hard to concentrate? Yes. Hyphens? Oh—the hyphens. Never seen so many hyphens—in my entire life. His writing style? Hard to follow. So many short sentences. Likes these I am writing. This is how the whole book is. Many examples. The hyphens—did I mention all the hyphens?

Totally agree, took me way longer to read that book than it should have.  Also, was not very interested in the original characters the writer created.

2 minutes ago, codeorama said:

Totally agree, took me way longer to read that book than it should have.  Also, was not very interested in the original characters the writer created.

What are your thoughts on whether i should slog through the whole trilogy?  The books aren't that long, I'm nearing the halfway point with the first one.  

Thanks in advance. 

On 11/17/2017 at 1:13 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

What are your thoughts on whether i should slog through the whole trilogy?  The books aren't that long, I'm nearing the halfway point with the first one.  

Thanks in advance. 

It seems like you enjoyed aftermath for the added insight. If that’s the case and you don’t mind the cost, go for it. But they were not great reads IMO. The info is interesting though. Just depends on how much of s SW need you want to be. ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

So does anyone still think this is going to be a ESB recreation?

I think it’ll be much darker like ESB. 

I don’t think they will follow ESB as closely as TFA followed ANH. This is the moment when the new trilogy has to stake its claim as it’s own fully realized story. 

There will be a turn. Whether it’s kylo -> good or Rey -> bad I am not sure. I’ve always wanted to see them flip. And I’m not sure where Luke plays into it. 

Still think he he might become the villain 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 12:41 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Short sentences.  No more than five words.  Usually only three.  Very short. Super short. Choppy? Yes. Hard to concentrate? Yes. Hyphens? Oh—the hyphens. Never seen so many hyphens—in my entire life. His writing style? Hard to follow. So many short sentences. Likes these I am writing. This is how the whole book is. Many examples. The hyphens—did I mention all the hyphens?

He did the same **** in his short story from A Certain Point of View. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TK said:

He did the same **** in his short story from A Certain Point of View. 

My latest complaint is his word usage. Never misses an opportunity to use a needlessly archaic word. The speeder is not between 2 buildings, it is betwixt them. 

It is the writing of a 7 year old hipster. 

• Haha 1

Got hip to a wonderful theory involving Rey and her past. I really like it. 

Spoiler

The theory is called the lightsaber theory. Basically every moment of Rey’s flashback in The Force Awakens when she touches the lightsaber happens in chronological order and within the lightsaber’s presence that explains her story. 

The first: cloud city where Luke fights Vader and loses his hand and Anakin’s blue saber with it. 

The second: Luke and R2 at a fire presumably after his academy has been massacred. Luke would still be in possession of the blue lightsaber at this point after having found it in the 30yrs prior. 

The next scene in the rain with the the knights of Ren and kylo killing someone in front of Rey that appears to be attacking her in this spot or whoever was actually in her spot in reality. This appears to be when Kylo and his knights murdered the acadmey Jedi members. The reason the lightsaber is here is because Luke has it or he gave it to one of the Jedi members. 

The idea is that Kylo was so powerful he felt that he deserves to lead the next generation of Jedi but due to his obsession with Vader and Luke sensing that he was being swayed by Snoke, he chose to honor another member of the society by giving them the lightsaber. The person he gave it to was one of Rey’s parents. As the product of two strong trained Jedi that were both at the academy, she has incredible force ability. 

What does Kylo say when he first sees Rey with it? “Where did you get that? It belongs to me” so he is clearly aware of Anakin’s lightsaber and feels a right to it. Not being chosen and passed over is part of the final straw that pushes him toward Snoke and ultimately his betrayal of Luke. 

So the Luke/R2 scene could be him reflecting on and deciding who to choose at the Jedi academy or it could be him after reflection of Kylo’s attack when he puts R2 in sleep mode. It’s a significance scene either way. 

The knights of ren scene seems tonshow kylo with another lightsaber in his hand. It could be that he obtained it after killing Rey’s parents in this fight only to have it lost later or stolen again by Luke before Luke went into hiding. This is why he seeks revenge and tracking down Luke in the force awakens. 

The next scene is Rey as a child seeing a ship leaving in the distance. She remembers this as her parents but the lightsaber  must be present. It is Luke in the ship, dropping her off to safety and leaving her behind to protect her, thinking was has failed her and the galaxy. 

The last scene is a clip of the future when she fights Kylo at starkiller base, again with the lightsaber present. 

So if we accept that all scenes shown to rey when she touched the lightsaber occurred in the lightsabers presence, it’s a lot easier to piece things together. 

It explains Rey, her powers, why Kylo reacted the way he has to finding out such a force sensitive girl was helping Han and Finn (if he knew her parents at the academy he must have known they had children. She may have hid during the attack and Luke finds her afterwards among the destruction) 

this sets up the central conflict between the two as Kylo believing he is the rightful heir to the Jedi/force/ Anakin’s legacy due to his powers and lineage whereas Rey is the blood of the literal chosen one by Luke to lead the future and thus more the rightful owner to the lightsaber since it almost chose her, in that Luke chose her parents. (Almost Harry Potter wand type situation) she is willingly  taking up the skywalker /hero mantle on her own, not thru blood but by earning it 

2 weeks to go (for me -- see it on Thursday Dec 14 at 7PM). Still have not seen any teasers, trailers, TV spots or anything.

Most I've seen is Daisy Ridley in her new Jedi gear and the official movie poster. 

Oh and everybody should know that the world premiere is Dec 8, so if you want be spoiler free until then, you might want to limit your internet exposure. Like, severely.

Edited by Mournblade

Anyone watching the final season of Rebels? They are slowing building up to the events of Rogue One. 

I still wonder what happens to the two jedi in it...Ezra has had flashes of moral ambiguity so I don't pretend to think he might not turn at the end..I'd almost bet Kanan (Duuuuume) dies though.

Edited by The Evil Genius

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Anyone watching the final season of Rebels? They are slowing building up to the events of Rogue One. 

I still wonder what happens to the two jedi in it...Ezra has had flashes of moral ambiguity so I don't pretend to think he might not turn at the end..I'd almost bet Kanan (Duuuuume) dies though.

I am. My wife makes fun of me for watching cartoons, and asks me if I am that childish. I just flick boogers at her until she leaves.

I love it, and am disappointed this is the last season. Although I think they have something else in the works, kind of an unofficial spin off like Rebels was to the Clone Wars.

Unfortunately, it's off until after the holidays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1