Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per CBS News: SC Justice Scalia found dead

Popeman38

I am not a Republican. I did not agree with Scalia. But I will say what I said earlier today. He is a man. The mere notion that people online are praising his death and celebrating in the streets is what is wrong with this country. The mere notion of people popping champagne and rejoicing and taking pleasure in the untimely passing of a conservative legend, political affiliation be damned, is extremely troubling, and exposes the issue with politics in this country: the growing division between once-amicable poles of the political spectrum..

He spent his entire career being an asshole.

I don't mean that disrespectfully, I think he truly relished being precieved as an asshole. He loved the reputation - you can see it in his quotes and writing.

He was the heel of SCOTUS.

He clearly had controversial views on many hot topics and didn't mince words. He said what he thought and didn't give a **** about feelings.

If you live your life like that - don't be surprised if when you die folks don't respond with tears and flowers. You don't get to be an asshole for 3 decades and die with praise. :/

Doesnt an empty seat hurt the GOP -- there will be a bunch of 4-4 non overturns...

kind of a wash, just depends on the lower court ruling.....there are several they don't want overturned

depends on who ya put in that seat  :)

Again, what specifically did he do that harmed this country.  I am all ears.  What decision did he make that has a lasting impression on America?

That the Constitution gives corporations the right to give unlimited money to politicians?

That corporations have religions, and that said religions overrule laws? (But, only if it's a religion that he approves of?)

Those are just the ones I can think of, right now.

So the longest it's ever taken to confirm a Supreme Court justice is 126 days (the average is 25 days), and Obama has 342 days. Delaying an appointment for the rest of Obama's term would be unprecedented and unconstitutional.

The idea of the Senate refusing to confirm any appointment is an overreach. Although the President is to make the appointment "by advice and consent of the Senate," it is still his appointment to make. The GOP refusing up front to approve anybody Obama appoints is not what is meant by "advising and consenting," it is denying him a power given to him by the Constitution.

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail. I'm not Obama's biggest fan, but I think he'll appoint somebody reasonable.

This article explains my above point:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/02/why-ted-cruzs-preemptive-rejection-of-a-scotus-nominee-is-illegitimate/462741/

Why Ted Cruz's Preemptive Rejection of a Supreme Court Nominee Is Illegitimate

The GOP presidential candidate—and at least two of his rivals—are acting as if the meaning of the Constitution changes depending on the timing of the next election.

. . .

If the Senate finds Obama’s nominee substantively unfit for the Supreme Court, it should decline to consent to the nomination, per its constitutional role.

Ted Cruz crosses a line into illegitimate. [His] isn’t a call to fulfill the “advice and consent” function and to reject a bad nominee. It is a naked call for a strategic delay. . .

But the Senate does have an obligation to fulfill its “advice and consent” obligation. Says the Constitution, the president “shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court...” A preemptive rejection of any possible Supreme Court appointment is self-evidently in conflict with that obligation.

. . .

Here's the SCOTUS blog reminding the GOP how our government works:

http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/02/supreme-court-vacancies-in-presidential-election-years/

Supreme Court vacancies in presidential election years

Posted Sat, February 13th, 2016 11:55 pm by Amy Howe

In the wake of the death of Justice Antonin Scalia, questions have arisen about whether there is a standard practice of not nominating and confirming Supreme Court Justices during a presidential election year. The historical record does not reveal any instances since at least 1900 of the president failing to nominate and/or the Senate failing to confirm a nominee in a presidential election year because of the impending nomination. In that period, there were several nominations and confirmations of Justices during presidential election years.

. . .

Hopefully they play by the rules.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2016/02/obama_s_supreme_court_shortlist_is_full_of_great_candidates.html

Supreme Court Shortlist

It would be ridiculous for Republicans to oppose these perfectly qualified candidates.

. . .

Seems like there are some pretty good candidates on that list. Now the Senate should take this list of well qualified candidates, advise the President, and consent to one of them, as the Constitution requires.

So the longest it's ever taken to confirm a Supreme Court justice is 126 days 

that does not include rejections,withdrawals,the time needed to choose ect, it has been a great deal longer to fill a empty SCOTUS seat.

The ball is in O's court and we will see if he puts up one not worth the fate Bork,Estrada and Ginsburgh got from the Dems

now can we allow them to bury the last guy?

that does not include rejections,withdrawals,the time needed to choose ect, it has been a great deal longer to fill a empty SCOTUS seat.

Get real.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/02/13/us/how-long-does-it-take-to-confirm-a-supreme-court-nominee.html

How Long Does It Take to Confirm a Supreme Court Nominee?

The death of Justice Antonin Scalia has set off a partisan battle over whether the Senate will confirm a successor nominated by President Obama, whose term expires in 342 days. The Senate has never taken more than 125 days to vote on a successor from the time of nomination; on average, a nominee has been confirmed, rejected or withdrawn in 25 days.

note the addition to my signature

Sorry I cannot read signatures on my mobile.

I think TWA is correct on this one. A seat sat empty for 7 months during the Reagan administration and for almost a year once in the 60s.

It would help if you'd be more specific.

The Reagan thing was due to nominating a nut like Robert Bork who didn't believe in civil rights. If Reagan wanted to fill the seat faster he could have withdrawn Bork's nomination. And that seat was still filled well within the timeframe Obama has.

Can you be more specific about the year long vacancy in the 1960s? I'm not finding anything about it.

Anyway, this isn't a case of Obama trying to push a single controversial nomination through, he has a list of several qualified candidates.

Bork isn't the best example of an unfair political blockade, his firing of Cox in the Saturday Night Massacre was a legitimately major issue.  A fight over that nomination should have happened.

His civil rights stances were problematic too.  I think a fair amount of superfluous stuff came up while he was nominated, but there were serious and major sticking points.

There were clear politicized histrionics involved in the Bork confirmation process. But he was definitely a controversial nomination. What I'm wondering is if the Reagan administration realized how controversial Bork was going to be when they decided to appoint him? I get the sense it took them by surprise.

Also worth pointing out that after Bork was rejected, Kennedy was confirmed in a unanimous vote.

If Obama nominates a reasonable candidate, the Senate should confirm it. I agree with socrates, to not do so would be an unprecedented overreach by the Senate.

I'll be shocked if a Supreme Court nominee is confirmed this year.  The Repubs have no interest in doing so. 

If Hillary someone gets elected; they will be planning impeachment hearings the next day.

Obama should first try a candidate that could possibly get confirmed.  Then let the Repubs rejected it.  Then nominate an extreme lefty and let the Repubs reject it.  I figure they have 2 nomination battles before the election.

Sri presents a major impediment for Cruz and Rubio, if he's the nominee. They both voted yes on him to the DC Circuit CoA. If they suddenly come out against him, they need a better reason than "we have to stop Obama." Moderates will see through that act; they'd have to find actual substantive problems with him, which is somewhat doubtful seeing as there were seemingly no substantive issues 2 years ago.

His opinions are entertaining; I give you that.

But once you get into the guts of them, you realize that his prized legal reasoning is actually little more than an ability to obfuscate legal doctrine.

Predicto is not here yet, and he's polite so he'll actually say something nice about the man. But he has to read Scalia's nonsense for a living and try to figure out what the old **** is actually saying. I'm sure he's not going to back the "Oh...what a marvelous legal writer" argument.

Scalia is the single most vile American political figure since George Wallace. There is no arguing that.

That is just the sort of jiggery-pokery I'd expect from you.

Admit it, the nihilist in you was slightly in awe of him.

Archived