Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per CBS News: SC Justice Scalia found dead

Popeman38

He's obsessed with race the same way short people are obsessed with height. They know that it has a disproportionate influence on most every part of their life, and the statistics are there to back up the claim, tall dude. ;)

I'd just like to thank Justice Scalia for serving his country all these years, and now more than ever.

Ironically I'm an short dude and never even realized height was an thing until my ex and I broke up lol. It's kinda crazy, height never impacted my dating life and I was always good at sports so I don't think it ever bothered me.

Sorry for the sidetrack lol

Bigot is being too nice. He should've been alive in the 15th century.

Politics are awful

As I tried to stay awake, the lack of sleep eating at me, I noticed from the debate that one of the candidates suggested that we should not try to make Scalia's death about politics this fast. Another one mentioned that Scalia was a good guy and he was disgusted by how fast the opposition had put up such hateful terms against the man.

I am not a Republican. I did not agree with Scalia. But I will say what I said earlier today. He is a man. The mere notion that people online are praising his death and celebrating in the streets is what is wrong with this country. The mere notion of people popping champagne and rejoicing and taking pleasure in the untimely passing of a conservative legend, political affiliation be damned, is extremely troubling, and exposes the issue with politics in this country: the growing division between once-amicable poles of the political spectrum.

I can only hope that the politicians realize that a lot of people are starting to get fed up with the polarization of politics into a serious mud slinging match where no rules are writ, and common civility fractured. I realize that things were feisty in the past too. I mean, some guy got ****ing caned in the Senate over slavery. But I badly wish that we could discuss political affairs, and say, "Listen, I don't agree with you. But I respect your right to believe differently." And Scalia, as polarizing and scathing as he was, as often as he would shred his own colleagues in written form, was not the monster many put him out to be. He did not agree with many people. But he made a damn effort to reach across party lines.

Maybe this is because we romanticize someone after they're dead. Maybe it's my reluctance to spit on a dead man's grave. But today, those points really stuck with me as I watched this debate. And I hope we can end this senseless partisan bickering soon.

My wife (another attorney) and I spent three minutes discussing whether one should celebrate the death of a public figure. We then performed a brief a capella version of Cotton Eyed Joe because this is a good day.

I know that even liberals are supposed to praise Scalia's mind and his writing. And he was a very talented writer. But he was an awful, hypocritical, vile jurist. He harmed this country.

I actually stunned the SOB is dead. I thought he would live forever, smirking from his seat into the next century.

GOP worst nightmare: Obama appoints someone, Mitch and friends block him/her, Hillary gets elected, appoints Obama. He'd be a skinny Taft.

Obama resigns. Ginsburg retires. Biden declares his intent to run as an incumbent and appoints Obama and some forty year old liberal to fill the vacancies. All hell breaks loose.

My wife (another attorney) and I spent three minutes discussing whether one should celebrate the death of a public figure. We then performed a brief a capella version of Cotton Eyed Joe because this is a good day.

I know that even liberals are supposed to praise Scalia's mind and his writing. And he was a very talented writer. But he was an awful, hypocritical, vile jurist. He harmed this country.

I actually stunned the SOB is dead. I thought he would live forever, smirking from his seat into the next century.

In the end Scalia wasn't ISIS or a terrorist. He didn't kill anyone, he didn't harm anyone physically. Was he opinionated? Yes he was. Was he often outdated in his views? Yes, he was. But damn if anyone couldn't be as entertaining or intellectually in a litigious sense as he was. 

Again perhaps we romanticize those who have recently left this world too much. Maybe I'm a victim of that. Maybe I done watched too much of that CNN. But forgive me if I see something wrong with people celebrating the passing of a man who served this damn country in the legal systems for over 3 decades.

What specifically did he do to "harm the country"?

I assume he means his conservative views and dedication to the Constitution. He was kind of rude but you got the sense he wasn't as condescending or attacking or vindictive as Trump. This is a guy who reached across the aisle to RBG and even took some of his Supreme Court fellow judges hunting. He was a good man 

< victimized heavily by CNN narrative of his life that he saw earlier today 

You'd hope it makes you an expert in whatever field of law you're in...

Being a lawyer doesn't make you an expert on an opinion that's political in nature.

You'd hope it makes you an expert in whatever field of law you're in...

By the way springy, you don't need to be a lawyer to be SCOTUS. lol.  Americans think everyone voted into office needs to be a lawyer, it's comical.  That's why we have a mess.

What specifically did he do to "harm the country"?

He is the godfather of a two generations of Heritage Foundation robots, like Alito.

He established that overt personal bigotry was an acceptable basis for judicial reasoning.

He - more perhaps than any justice in history - wrote from the decision backwards, with little regards for his previous writings.

Thankfully, he's more known for his dissents than his majority opinions.

His opinions are surprisingly readable even for a layman like me. He was entertaining. A good interview too. He's absolutely deserving of respect even though I couldn't stand his jurisprudence.

His opinions are entertaining; I give you that.

But once you get into the guts of them, you realize that his prized legal reasoning is actually little more than an ability to obfuscate legal doctrine.

Predicto is not here yet, and he's polite so he'll actually say something nice about the man. But he has to read Scalia's nonsense for a living and try to figure out what the old **** is actually saying. I'm sure he's not going to back the "Oh...what a marvelous legal writer" argument.

Wow. Just wow.

Scalia is the single most vile American political figure since George Wallace. There is no arguing that.

He is the godfather of a two generations of Heritage Foundation robots, like Alito.

He established that overt personal bigotry was an acceptable basis for judicial reasoning.

He - more perhaps than any justice in history - wrote from the decision backwards, with little regards for his previous writings.

Thankfully, he's more known for his dissents than his majority opinions.

Again, what specifically did he do that harmed this country.  I am all ears.  What decision did he make that has a lasting impression on America?

His opinions are entertaining; I give you that.

But once you get into the guts of them, you realize that his prized legal reasoning is actually little more than an ability to obfuscate legal doctrine.

Predicto is not here yet, and he's polite so he'll actually say something nice about the man. But he has to read Scalia's nonsense for a living and try to figure out what the old **** is actually saying. I'm sure he's not going to back the "Oh...what a marvelous legal writer" argument.

Scalia is the single most vile American political figure since George Wallace. There is no arguing that.

You're a perfect example of the "tolerant" left.

Shame on you.

Archived