Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite non-Super Bowl year

Bonez3

Do not like any season when the Redskins don't meet at least my minimum expectations. In the 80s, I pretty much EXPECTED us to go to the SB, so none of the non-SB years were good enough. 1999, with a new owner who we really knew little about and a boatload of draft picks, we seemed to be on our way to return to glory. 2005, finally that Snyder guy seemed to have figured it out and Gibbs was back. 2012, won on schedule so we were exactly were I'd expected and coming of a end of season victory which was the exact opposite of the end of 1979! This year was nice because it signals that we likely have put together the right GM, coach and players. If it had gone any other way, it probably was time to start at ground zero again.

A thread like this makes me a bit sad that I wasn't in the DC area for the first seven years of Gibbs I to experience them closely.  1986 is the obvious choice, but 1984 and how the team bounced back from an 0-2 start that featured fairly decisive losses to the eventual teams that played in the SB to win the division at 11-5 was cool, even though losing to the Bears in the playoffs meaning we wouldn't be making a third straight SB trip was depressing. Avenging the Body Bag Game alone will always give 1990 a special place. Kleese makes good points about 1992, but that year was just such a struggle and dropping the last two regular season games, including one at home to the sorry Raiders, was horrid. Little did we know that it would be the end of consistent good football for some time.

If I had to pick a post-glory years season, it'd probably be 2005.  Having Gibbs on the sideline and the two big late regular season home wins against the Cowboys and Giants were great.

Another under-the-radar season was 1989, but that wasn't just a non-Super Bowl year, it was a non-playoff year!

We started the season with two straight division losses (last-second kick at New York and blowing a huge lead at home against Philly). From there, we won three straight before dropping another game to the Giants, again by 3 points (this was part of the streak of 6 straight losses to NY that we wouldn't snap until our Super Bowl year of 1991). From 3-3 we limped to 5-6 with a horrible loss at home to Dallas (their only win that year) included.

But, Gibbs dialed up another of his famous late-season runs. He put more on Rypien who finally started coming into his own and we rattled off 5 straight wins to close out the year. 10-6 wasn't enough to sneak into the playoffs, but we had essentially evolved into the team that would take a big step in 1990 and win it all in 1991. 

Another under-the-radar season was 1989, but that wasn't just a non-Super Bowl year, it was a non-playoff year!

..... From 3-3 we limped to 5-6 with a horrible loss at home to Dallas (their only win that year) included.

That loss to Dallas alone strikes 1989 from consideration for me :angry:

Non playoff was Gibbs first year back. I loved the physicality of that team

However Gibbs second season,..

If Brunell had not have been injured we could have gone farther. That was a very good team probably the best we've had since 91

I know that doesn't count for this thread though

1979, in spite of the heartbreaking loss to Dallas, was one of my favorite teams.  They had a bit of "Cardiac Kid" in them that year winning a few games with late drives.  (Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis come to mind)  They weren't predicted to be very good that year but came within 4 minutes of winning the division and having homefield throughout the playoffs.  That's the year the LA Rams represented the NFC in the Super Bowl.  The Skins were just as good as they were.  This is one of those "what might have been" seasons.

1986 is a close 2nd for me.  That was a very, very good team that was just unfortunate enough to have a dominant Giants team in their own division.

I'd say 2012. There was promise that we may have found a franchise quarterback. Being up 14-0 against Seattle in the playoffs had me concerned while RG3 was still in the game. Then when he went down, it felt like a funeral. Leading up to that it was a thrill ride starting with the game against NO.

2012 Just based on the win streak...after they were counted out

Yep, I've been a Redskins fan since the early 70s...7 straight wins?  Holy.  That was some monumental awesomeness.  And RGIII did it all on one good leg, kept it as quiet as possible that he was hurting...that's HEART.

I get goosebumps & tears in my eyes.  I hate to see him thrown away now so cavalierly.  He gave it everything.  Hail.

The GIF with him limping on 1 leg is epic. Call the kid a drama king fine. That year he came back from a concussion with no games missed, played on 1 leg final 3 division games and basically shredded his knee trying to win a playoff game.

In my book, thats called a football player, not a prima donna. '12 was so great and what coulda been.

It may seem strange, but this is my favorite in as long as I can remember. Years like 12 kind of felt like riding a wave. Some years felt like it was do or die. This year was the first time, that it's ended and I sat back and smiled.

The Packer game was the most satisfying loss that I may have ever enjoyed.

It seems different. It feels like we're actually back. We're not in a constant rebuilding mode, we're actually building. Not retooling, not trying to buy anything. We are building a champion.

That Bucs game, that turn around and seeing a light go off on this team and how they battled, was just amazing.

The Redskins are getting poised to be the team at the top again. It's been a long, long time, since I've had this feeling.

I know this is a little off topic, but you put it nicely... For me, this year and the following hope of the offseasontm is based on more logic and rationale than anything else, whereas the other years were a bit more based on hope and faith. Like you said, "riding a wave".

I was absolutely sure after 2005 we had "arrived" as a franchise. But, at that time, I had absolutely no idea about how an organization should be structured. Or even the significance of the QB position. I used to think everyone complaining about Brunell were idiots. Vinny Ceratto was perfectly fine, in my mind. I thought our splash in Free Agency was awesome that offseason. Had that Super Bowl trophy already ours in my mind, lol. I mean, Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El to go with our stud Moss? Archuleta to pair up with Taylor? TJ Duckett, baby!! Losing Ryan Clark and Antonio Pierce? Pffftttt...  

Just, completely foolish. :lol:

Were those things to happen now... like were we to go nuts in Free Agency and start trading draft picks for guys like Weddle, Mike Tolbert, Doug Baldwin, Randall Cobb, etc..., while letting guys like Will Compton and Chris Baker go, I think I'd seriously flip. And those aforementioned guys would even have more pedigree than the ones we brought on to the team in 2006.         

Same with 2007. The ridiculous coaching search and hire of Jim Zorn? Meh, totally fine. Vinny being elevated to a GM-type position, because hey, you should've seen his board... it was Gibbs and Gregg Williams who made all the stupid decisions before, he was actually against them! :lol:

And I'm not going to say that I didn't feel the same way after 2012. I remember being convinced that Mike had built a solid young base for the future, we've got our franchise QB (heck, maybe even two), our 2011 and 2012 drafts were looking great, and we had young unheralded guys like Rob Jackson, Aldrick Robinson, Richard Crawford, and Jordan Pugh contributing (now looking back, that list pales in comparison to the one this season).

But I do remember the sick feeling when it came to Robert's knee. I remember LavarLeap (who has now become a total troll on twitter) dropping the "insider" info that Robert was unhappy about the offense called for Kirk against the Browns and didn't want to run the heavy RO-based one, anymore. I was livid about that and told LL at the time I hope that's not true and that Robert would be an idiot for that, considering it was the major thing keeping his pocket super clean as defensive lines were terrified to attack or even blitz their LBers (he replied with something like "u serious?")

Then Robert's signal to Kyle during the second Eagles game like "cut the RO calls" after one was called early on. And while he had a good game overall, the 4th quarter was worrisome and it seemed like the Eagles had his number with him staying in the pocket. We were extremely close to them tying it up at the end and it was a defensive red zone stand that finished it.  

But then the Cowboys game was awesome with how Alfred basically took over and I felt like Robert would understand all he had to do was hand it off to him, it was still devastating to defense's. Then, of course, the depressing Seattle game (all the blaming that went on) which followed with the subtle jabs and offseason back and forth between his camp and the Shanahan's. 

Still, I didn't allow myself to believe all the good I witnessed during that season was pretty much undone. 2013 came as a stunning shock. But, looking back, it's not just hindsight. I remember all the above feelings of annoyance and being disturbed were there. I just denied them and held on to the faith in both Robert and Mike.

So, yeah, I think you're spot on here, KB. This season and the hope that we've "arrived" is based on a lot more logic than any other one. It's sound. We have a Front Office. Like, an actual one with experts at their respective positions. The HC is working with his GM and they enjoy each other. The QB is healthy, avoids hits, and has developed in an established pro-offense. We went through a crazy amount of injuries and were able to overcome them. Young guys and draft picks developing all over the place, at every position. We got all our draft picks for the foreseeable future (Scot has only played with trading some late rounders, one conditional for Carrier dependent on playing time in 2017).

Now, there are some questions. We're not exactly a finished product and still have a bit to go to truly be a contender. Can Kirk continue to improve? Can the defense get better under Barry? Can we fix the secondary and the running game while maintaining everything else? How does Scot handle decisions on guys who are overpaid in relation to their production, but not their leadership?

But this is as real as it gets. It's sound.

So nothing compares to this season, for me. It's not just the magnification of the present.

Now, it can all come apart real quick. Scot lost both of his last two jobs due to his personal issues and he's already had something here happen. That's real. Snyder might go back to his impetuousness because he feels were "close" and start pushing for crazy things. Though I'd say that's unlikely. Any number of players might regress, including Kirk. Heck, something terrible might go wrong in contract talks and he goes elsewhere. Again, unlikely... but it's the Redskins, lol.

But I feel like were as close as we've ever been, and it's based on a lot of understanding with very little emotion. Pretty damn exciting. :)

And that damn wind in the Meadowlands - that was a closer game than people realise

I was pretty young, but I never really felt like we had a shot in that game. I mean, any 3-score game can kind of be boiled down to a handful of plays here and there. But watching it, I remember feeling like we couldn't do ANYTHING on offense all game. Again, I was 9 so it's possible that I am not remembering it well. 

1971 - The year I got hooked.  Allen's first year with the Over the Hill Gang.   Team finished 9-4-1, but had started the season 5-0 including a big win at Dallas.  The team made the playoffs for the first time since the 1940's (26 years).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/1971.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Washington_Redskins_season

(check out the picture of Nixon with the team at this link).

I know a lot of the old hats trot 1986 out a lot.

I was too young for that one.  My earliest memory is actually Super Bowl 22.

For me, 2005 was a blast but that ending was gut wrenching.

2012... hard to be that one.  That was a ridiculous run.

'86 I was too busy celebrating a double beating the blue****e to league and cup!  :D.

2005 hands down for me. Coach' second season his second go-around. Almost completely down and out after a heart wrenching loss to San Diego when LT took it the house in OT. 5-6 4 loses out of 5 and 3 straight. Everyone at their lowest ebb. Then that absolutely awesome 5 game winning run to get in. Cooley whooping the Cowboys and Daniels sacking the Hell out of Bledsoe. Whooping the Giants ass in revenge for the shut out Mara game earlier the year. Then that iconic image of 21 diving the EZ as we clinched in Philly. 

Even after the no offense win in Tampa the Wild Card, with Scott's arm now completely shot, you still believed going into Seattle. Because this was the Redskins under the greatest man to ever coach football God Damn it! With Gibbs back, NOBODY was stopping the inevitable 4th Lombardi. But sadly they did as a great group of players ran out of steam. (STILL won't forgive Stone Hands for the INT drop when we were up.). 

The unadulterated excitement that December and January run-in I'd not felt since the last Lombardi. The Detroit playoff game included. 

Sighs. The magical power of a special, special person and football Coach who just made you unequivacably BELIEVE. 

Happy days.

Hail. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would say '12 without reservation if not for how it ended. Somehow in the pit of my gut I just knew it was impending doom. I was shell shocked for a good week or more after the playoff loss and Griffin's devastating injury. So I'm going to go with this year. The ride was almost as fun and at the end I genuinely felt good about our future and where we are heading.

• 2 weeks later...

2012 for the younger generation.

For me 1981 is the absolute best non SB in Skins history.  Gibbs 1st year. 0-5 sucked but 8-3 down the stretch and beating good teams while playing good football.  The emergence of the Hogs, the return of Riggins, Joe T finally figuring out how to play QB.  

I remember after the final game, Brent Musberger turning to Jimmy the Greek and saying "right now the Redskins may be the best team in football", and The Greek responding that maybe 1 or 2 teams would be a couple of point favorites. 

1999. Most consistent and complete looking. We were respected throughout the entire season. The only season since 1992 where we had that. I felt some of Charlie's decisions was beginning to pay off. A bad snap away from being in the NFC Championship. Never had so much confidence watching a offense play. We could do anything on offense. Our drives moved the ball down the field quickly.

Archived