Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015-2016 NCAA Basketball Thread - non-team-specific - NOW OFFICIAL 2016 MARCH MADNESS THREAD

PleaseBlitz

Thanks for documenting what the rest of college basketball already knows: UNC fans are affected a-holes.

Or maybe we are just tired of hearing negative talk about them on here from fans of other teams, all the time.  

Edit:  I know that I'm a fan of a team not in the area, so yes, I'll have to deal with stuff like from time to time.  Was actually just really messing/joking around.  But do find the UNC hate humorous.

Deeeeeffffllaaaaaaatttiooooonnnn....

Now that they've lost, can we stop with the UVa being a local team non sense? They're like, 10 minutes closer to the D.C. area then Villanova.

People consider Tech to be local too...

If UVa isn't considered local, VT absolutely isn't.

And that's all really dependent on where you are. If you're from NoVa like myself, I can get to CVille in under two hours. It isn't a whole lot shorter drive to College Park if you account for traffic. Which, let's be fair, there's ALWAYS reason to account for here.

I go by the rules of geography and the TV market.  Neither team is within under an hour of DC and neither share the same TV market.  Not local.  But I know that the local media include them because they "claim" there are a lot of graduates from those two schools in the DC area.  Maybe so and I don't dispute that, but if DC all of the sudden got a huge influx of University of Michigan graduates, would we consider them local? And why don't they consider James Madison local?  They are closer than Tech. Or University of Richmond?

I remember living in Memphis and going to University of Memphis.  The University of Tennesssee was always on the news or highlighted in the local paper on the front page of the sports page along with the Tigers.  Knoxville is almost 6 hours from Memphis.  But they used the same excuse as DC does claiming a lot of graduates living in Memphis.  So, I would ask them why isn't Vanderbilt represented?  They are only 2 1/2 hours away and are actually a more prestigeous school then UT. But you know why.  They suck at football.

I go by the rules of geography and the TV market.  Neither team is within under an hour of DC and neither share the same TV market.  Not local.  But I know that the local media include them because they "claim" there are a lot of graduates from those two schools in the DC area.  Maybe so and I don't dispute that, but if DC all of the sudden got a huge influx of University of Michigan graduates, would we consider them local? And why don't they consider James Madison local?  They are closer than Tech. Or University of Richmond?

I remember living in Memphis and going to University of Memphis.  The University of Tennesssee was always on the news or highlighted in the local paper on the front page of the sports page along with the Tigers.  Knoxville is almost 6 hours from Memphis.  But they used the same excuse as DC does claiming a lot of graduates living in Memphis.  So, I would ask them why isn't Vanderbilt represented?  They are only 2 1/2 hours away and are actually a more prestigeous school then UT. But you know why.  They suck at football.

The whole local thing can be broken down into In-state vs. Out-of-state tuition. Those DC or metro area folk who live in northern Virginia get in-state tuition at VT and UVA, which are the biggest Virginia schools. Whether it's the parents or their kids, their is often a connection to those schools when people live in that area.

All Virginia and Maryland Schools should be considered "local". The reason they don't get air-time is because they aren't as nationally popular, and have smaller bases alumni/less students than UVA, VT, or Maryland. It has nothing to do with somewhere like Villanova being closer to DC than Virginia Tech or UVA.

Because Tennessee is State U.  Schools like that have support from the entire state, not just the city where they're located.

Damn my bracket had been doing well until that round.  I picked Oklahoma and UNC to make it to the Final Four but I picked UVA over Kansas in the Final.  It was good while it lasted.

Villanova made me nervous about picking Kansas ever since I watched that first round game.  Knew they had the potential to bust my bracket.  I could honestly see them winning the whole thing.  Definitely didn't see Syracuse coming though.  I had them losing to Michigan St.  I don't think anyone got that part of the bracket right.

That Duke team had Grant Hill, Bobby Hurley, Christian Laettner and 2 other 2nd round picks in Thomas Hill and Antonio Lang. Looking back, one can see how they beat UNLV who had Larry Johnson and to a lesser degree, Greg Anthony.  Don't get me wrong, Stacey Augmon and Anderson Hunt were good college players..but they didn't measure up to the overall talent Duke had that year. That's why they lost.

That..and they were hardly challenged all year. 

GW class of '06.

Woooooohooooooooo!! What a run in the NIT filled with victories over some pretty decent teams.

Hofstra
Monmouth
Florida
San Diego St.
Valparaiso

Yes, the NIT is a meaningless tournament for losers, but still can't help but be happy. This team was good. Very good. NCAA tournament good.

I truly think this team in the tournament goes to the Sweet 16. At one point they were top-25 ranked after beating a series of BCS teams, including UVA. They just were too inconsistent and lost a few disaster games. 

Oh well, great season. GW!

NIT is nothing to scoff at.  Those are some good teams they beat.  I watched them play St. Joseph's in the A-10 tournament and they were close to winning that.  If they did they would've been in the NCAA.

Very happy for them.  Some good players on that squad.  And they brought DC a championship dammit!  May not be huge, but gotta start somewhere.  Way to go Colonials!

Archived