Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo: Multiple injuries reported in ‘active shooter situation’ near Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs

mistertim

Woah woah woah. You know this isn't true. Focus on the Family is in no way responsible for a nutbag shooting up a Planned Parenthood. I can only imagine your response if somone posted what you posted about BLM. Is the BLM movement responisble fore the cops that are being murdered in their cars or at a restauant? Nope. Just like Focus on the Family isn't responsible for this. You're better than this.

If the official BLM organization (if such a thing is formally recognized) posted deceptively edited videos about police violence on their website and a cop killer used the same language, then yes, they would have some moral responsibility.

What Focus on the Family, and their like, did falls well short of incitement to violence but it's damaging to discourse and unhelpful.

You're better than this.

I'm really not.  :)

How tight would they need to be to stop him?

No idea. But maybe we could start but making sure people on the terror watch list don't have access to guns? But hey, this guy is fine, so let's just do nothing!

Again, Congress and the GOP had no problem plowing forward to take a hard look at the refugee vetting process, but here we are again with another crazy person with a gun, and we aren't going to do anything.

Woah woah woah. You know this isn't true. Focus on the Family is in no way responsible for a nutbag shooting up a Planned Parenthood. I can only imagine your response if somone posted what you posted about BLM. Is the BLM movement responisble fore the cops that are being murdered in their cars or at a restauant? Nope. Just like Focus on the Family isn't responsible for this. You're better than this.

I thought this might come up.

The issue with this comparison is that, by-the-numbers, there's been a clear increase in violence against abortion clinics in recent months (http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/11/violence-abortion-clinics-planned-parenthood-colorado-springs-shooting) compared with 2015 being average for non-accidental gunfire deaths to police (http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/04/police-deaths-2015-law-enforcement-safety and then statistics from https://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2015).

This isn't to say that officer deaths should be ignored, but it's important to keep context here.

Abortion clinics are experiencing a surge of violence against them, police are not.  Moreover, being an officer is an inherently dangerous job, while being at an abortion clinic, either as a worker or patient, should not be inherently dangerous, but seemingly is.

That 2nd point, that clinics should be safe places but aren't, is where the moral culpability for vehement anti-abortion rhetoric starts coming into play.  Threats and vandalism against clinics have been a relatively common occurrence over the decades.  While there's been a spike since the videos, they are also, sadly, nothing new.

Groups that maintain a stream of constant verbal assaults on PP and other abortion providers know full well by now the effects of their words.  They've seen it play out over several decades.  If they say they don't know, then they're being willfully ignorant of the impact of their words or they're lying.

At a certain point, ignorance of the impact of one's words has to disappear, and once ignorance of one's impact disappears then culpability does appear.

So it looks like Ted Cruz is getting his talking points straight from right wing news sites/blogs now:

Ted Cruz Floats Report That Planned Parenthood Shooter Was A “Transgendered Leftist”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kyleblaine/ted-cruz-floats-report-that-planned-parenthood-shooter-was-a#.jwYwjRalmy

The whole "transgender" thing is a talking point based on a "look at the shiny thing over here!" Brietbart distraction article that found Dear's voter registration and noticed that it had him as female...of course instead of saying "maybe its a clerical error or something" the right went full on "OMG this means he must be transgender, and that mean's he's a LEFTIST extremist!" and ran with it as a distraction (this is after their first attempt as painting it as a bank robbery gone wrong got quickly debunked).

So it looks like Ted Cruz is getting his talking points straight from right wing news sites/blogs now:

Ted Cruz Floats Report That Planned Parenthood Shooter Was A “Transgendered Leftist”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kyleblaine/ted-cruz-floats-report-that-planned-parenthood-shooter-was-a#.jwYwjRalmy

The whole "transgender" thing is a talking point based on a "look at the shiny thing over here!" Brietbart distraction article that found Dear's voter registration and noticed that it had him as female...of course instead of saying "maybe its a clerical error or something" the right went full on "OMG this means he must be transgender, and that mean's he's a LEFTIST extremist!" and ran with it as a distraction (this is after their first attempt as painting it as a bank robbery gone wrong got quickly debunked).

The guy is a right wing loon who passed out anti-Obama pamphlets to his neighbors. More and more of my evangelical friends are starting to feel the same about Cruz.

I thought this might come up.

The issue with this comparison is that, by-the-numbers, there's been a clear increase in violence against abortion clinics in recent months (http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/11/violence-abortion-clinics-planned-parenthood-colorado-springs-shooting) compared with 2015 being average for non-accidental gunfire deaths to police (http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/04/police-deaths-2015-law-enforcement-safety and then statistics from https://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2015).

This isn't to say that officer deaths should be ignored, but it's important to keep context here.

Abortion clinics are experiencing a surge of violence against them, police are not.  Moreover, being an officer is an inherently dangerous job, while being at an abortion clinic, either as a worker or patient, should not be inherently dangerous, but seemingly is.

That 2nd point, that clinics should be safe places but aren't, is where the moral culpability for vehement anti-abortion rhetoric starts coming into play.  Threats and vandalism against clinics have been a relatively common occurrence over the decades.  While there's been a spike since the videos, they are also, sadly, nothing new.

Groups that maintain a stream of constant verbal assaults on PP and other abortion providers know full well by now the effects of their words.  They've seen it play out over several decades.  If they say they don't know, then they're being willfully ignorant of the impact of their words or they're lying.

At a certain point, ignorance of the impact of one's words has to disappear, and once ignorance of one's impact disappears then culpability does appear.

Not to mention that is just the actual acts against them. From what I've read (and I haven't seen specific statistics related to it...not sure if PP would even release that necessarily) the amount of threats made against them have skyrocketed since those videos came out. So much so that they've had to hire outside security consultants to handle their threat procedures and reporting.

Well, the guy killed a Cop, a Mother and a Veteran. So, he must be a leftist now. What complete bull****. 

If what is being reported on his words about baby parts is true. That comes directly the signs you see at protests and verbiage in primary debates. What do we expect? People raging and going beyond protesting. 

Is mental health an issue? **** yes. Is access to firearms an issue? **** yes. 

Planned Parenthood Victim Ke'Arre Stewart Tried to Save Others

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/planned-parenthood-victim-kearre-stewart-tried-save-others-n471126

An Iraq War veteran who was killed in the Planned Parenthood shooting ran back inside the building after being shot to warn others to take cover, his brother told NBC News.

Ke'Arre Stewart — a 29-year-old father-of-two — was hit after stepping outside the Colorado Springs clinic because he did not have any cellphone service, according to brother Leyonte Chandler.

Chandler said it was his sibling's Army experience that prompted his final act of heroism.

"I believe that's his military instinct, you know: Leave no soldier behind, leave no civilian behind, just leave no one behind," an emotional Chandler said. "So he ran back inside, trying to help out others. I don't know where he was at, as far as how many more breaths he had, but he knew. And before his time ran out I guess that was his main priority ... to help and save other lives."

more from the link.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone still using these sources for news and information is tacitly complicit in these and every other murderous act of terrorism that stems from their fear and paranoia propaganda.

~Bang

\

Of course you ignore he was addressing unsubstantiated claims , such as the baby parts remark, to illustrate how foolish those that run with such are.

\

Of course you ignore he was addressing unsubstantiated claims , such as the baby parts remark, to illustrate how foolish those that run with such are.

So why didn't he say that? "That he said something about baby parts is unsubstantiated and hasn't been confirmed as fact. I've heard some people are also saying that he is transgendered because of his voter registration, which is unsubstantiated as well and hasn't been confirmed by any sort of facts. It is silly to take either of those as fact". Cruz knows exactly what he's doing.

And it wasn't "reported" that he was transgendered, anyway. It was reported that his voter registration listed him as a woman...it was the people of the blogosphere and comments sections of right wing sites who suddenly turned that into "OMG TRANSGENDERED LEFTIST EXTREMIST!". That's why I said it seems like he's getting talking points straight from right wing blogs and news sources. Nobody is talking about him being transgendered except there.

the quickness with which political junkies turn these 'stories' into a finger pointing at parties has reached a depressing level

you get about 30 minutes of pure mourning, shock, and unity against the most unfortunate violence. then the political junkies commence pissing all over everything/one.

the quickness with which political junkies turn these 'stories' into a finger pointing at parties has reached a depressing level

The frequency with which mass shootings happen is even more depressing.

We're at a point in America where there will never be a moment where we can discuss things like gun control without encroaching on the mourning period of a tragedy. And that's setting the mourning period to something like five days.

That's the best indication that we should probably stop worrying about mourning and worry about actually fixing public policy. The families will mourn. Those close to the families will mourn. For us, those far from the tragedy, the best thing we can do to honor their memory is try to fix the broken systems that failed to prevent this one, and fail to prevent each one after it that will happen due to our inaction.

Seems interesting

http://www.examiner.com/article/witness-accounts-conflict-with-planned-parenthood-shooting-narrative

A horrific shooting on Friday may not have originated at a Planned Parenthood abortion facility in Colorado Springs as widely reported if witness accounts are to be considered.

Thanks for the link to the fake Examiner newspaper, and its unvetted conservative blogs that are printed as factual newspaper articles.  This is the kind of "journalism" that leads people to believe that the Sandy Hook shooting was a false flag government operation.

I'm not surprised you posted it for us.  

The frequency with which mass shootings happen is even more depressing.

We're at a point in America where there will never be a moment where we can discuss things like gun control without encroaching on the mourning period of a tragedy. And that's setting the mourning period to something like five days.

That's the best indication that we should probably stop worrying about mourning and worry about actually fixing public policy. The families will mourn. Those close to the families will mourn. For us, those far from the tragedy, the best thing we can do to honor their memory is try to fix the broken systems that failed to prevent this one, and fail to prevent each one after it that will happen due to our inaction.

Right.

I didn't mean the general discussion of policy. I have no problem with that.

But every 'new' political topic discussion has a period where there's genuine discussion. Where the bulk of the country is actually offering their opinion or otherwise contributing or at least listening. The more 'hot button' the issue, the quicker the pace of reasonable people dropping out of the discussion and the quicker we get to the usual back-and-forth bs.

We've gotten to a point where that period of genuine discussion/thought is about 30 minutes. That's what I was referring to. After 30 minutes there's very few people participating in the discussion without some hard agenda in some direction.

It's not an observation of ES, solely, but of our society in general. But it's definitely represented (not all the time, but sometimes) on ES in the threads (not an indictment of ES, i think it's just following the general trend...) If it was an "ES problem" i wouldn't even care, but it's a general news/media/interweb problem. ES probably does better than most places...

It's probably mostly caused by the ever-increasing frequency, but it itself is still depressing to me.  I wasn't trying to say it's "too early" to discuss it, at this point I don't think that exists. It's the way in which it's discussed (and how quickly it turns to that) that I was referencing.

I think we are well overdue for a real, honest, and thorough discussion about gun rights, control, and where the balance ought to be between rights and safety. We have avoided this conversation for too long and we've gotten to a point now where mass shootings are run of the mill. People barely blink anymore. It used to be national news and shocking, but now it's "Stuff happens... yawn."

That's really outrageous. Perfect safety can never be obtained. Perfect screenings can never be obtained, but that doesn't mean that we can't make it more difficult for the crazy, evil, or criminal among us. In fact, it's the opposite. We should strive to do better. 

Thanks for the link to the fake Examiner newspaper, and its unvetted conservative blogs that are printed as factual newspaper articles.  This is the kind of "journalism" that leads people to believe that the Sandy Hook shooting was a false flag government operation.

I'm not surprised you posted it for us.  

Thanks for your contribution

I think we are well overdue for a real, honest, and thorough discussion about gun rights, control, and where the balance ought to be between rights and safety. We have avoided this conversation for too long and we've gotten to a point now where mass shootings are run of the mill. People barely blink anymore. It used to be national news and shocking, but now it's "Stuff happens... yawn."

That's really outrageous. Perfect safety can never be obtained. Perfect screenings can never be obtained, but that doesn't mean that we can't make it more difficult for the crazy, evil, or criminal among us. In fact, it's the opposite. We should strive to do better. 

Agreed. Like I mentioned earlier, alot of people were super quick to jump in and fix the refugee process that by all accounts, wasn't broken. Here were are again talking about another person going on a killing spree with a gun and still no action by lawmakers. I'm not convinced anything will come of this. If the lawmakers weren't willing to act after Sandy Hook, there's not much that will change their minds now.

Politics puts itself in the middle of everything by polarizing everything through politicians who manipulate everything to show why once again the other guy is 100% wrong, and their ideas must be implemented now. etc etc.

and they use their immensely polarizing and pervasive media propaganda to push it to the maximum

Political propaganda masks itself as news, and news self perpetuates.

if it turns out this guy is a loon with an anti-abortion agenda and if it turns out that he does believe the body parts stories, then CHA-CHING!..  the media has done it's job.

They perpetuate lies, demonize, blame and terrify, and they create the story they eventually can cover when someone snaps.

Which the politician can then use along with an even heavier propaganda blitz to push agenda.

we always love to say 'oh, we have a mental health problem".. and this is entirely true,, and we have a media that exploits the **** out of it, helps foster it, promotes it, and then uses it when it provides them with the inevitable blood and ratings.

there's a reason politics and finger pointing jumps into everything.

it's all anyone is ever given by way of information.

A steady diet of misdirection, misinformation, fear, and anger.

~Bang

Archived