Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

14 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Okay.  So process them.  What do we do with them while they are being processed?

This is why we should be working with Mexico to figure out where they stay BEFORE they get to they get to the border.  We should be talking temporary asylum in Mexico like professionals.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Okay.  So process them.  What do we do with them while they are being processed?

Probably take their children from them.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

This is why we should be working with Mexico to figure out where they stay BEFORE they get to they get to the border.  We should be talking temporary asylum in Mexico like professionals.

Nah. Screaming, having temper tantrums, and threatening to arrest them sounds much more helpful. But hey, at least the DHS said they won't be shooting them! 

...yet.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Interesting concept that may not be bad.  My question was meant more broad for all the asylum seekers in general.  It is a tough spot to be in.  And I don't know there really is a great option.  But I have no doubt that this administration will find the worst option and run with it.

33 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Probably take their children from them.

Nah. Screaming, having temper tantrums, and threatening to arrest them sounds much more helpful. But hey, at least the DHS said they won't be shooting them! 

...yet.

I mean you could actually propose an option that could be debated.  Or you could ignore that part of adult discussion and run to a TWA like response.  Oh wait, you already did.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

we already do, and are

there have even been offers of employment and asylum in Mexico.

we don't usually shoot people until there is a need to, or rule it out

The Border Wall (er, Fence):

gettyimages-1053871072-0a20ec041e35a680e

"It's a wall," said Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, standing in the shadow of a newly built stretch of a 30-foot border wall in Calexico, Calif., which she said would help U.S. agents secure the border.

"Let me be clear: Walls work," Nielsen said. "That's not my opinion, it's not a tagline, it's not a political statement — it's a fact."

"Our hope is that ... it serves as that impedance and prevents a flow over" the wall, she said.

Nielsen added, "This is what the president has asked us to do. It's part of a system."

Nielsen spoke one day after news emerged that the Pentagon could order as many as 800 troops to the U.S.-Mexico border as thousands of people make their way north from Guatemala in a large migrant caravan.

Nielsen's remarks come one day after she spoke to Fox News about the plan to deploy troops at the border. In that interview, she was asked whether a scenario might develop in which migrants who try to rush the border "could be shot at."

"We do not have any intention right now to shoot at people," Nielsen replied. "They will be apprehended, however."

Click on the link for the full article

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/26/661042336/homeland-security-secretary-nielsen-visits-new-border-wall-in-california

Edited by China

So few things.......the military rarely does anything without it being a named operation.  Though this name I'm sure was just random and not meant to evoke any type of opinion.  Also, cost wise we need to see more details.  If they are in fact active duty, cost is less because you were already paying them.  Calling up national guard costs much more because you now have to pay them.  And I wonder who exactly is getting sent to "secure the boarder".  Depending on which units it is, this us actually really good practice for them.

*this is not an endorsement of these actions for the stated purposes.

41 minutes ago, tshile said:

Wait why the **** does it cost 1.2 billion to deploy 6000 troops to our own ****ing border?

how does that number not cause a room full of adults to stop and figure out how to make it not cost 1.2 billion dollars

One, the government pays way too much for anything.  Two, stats are often inflated to make a point sound better.  

In short, costs of things that would have been bought/paid for whether or not they were deployed are often included.  I think this is wrong because that money was getting spent no matter what. 

• Like 1