Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/18/2016-election-race-class-trump/

The PRRI analysis of more than 3,000 voters, summarized The Atlantic’s Emma Green, “suggests financially troubled voters in the white working class were more likely to prefer Clinton over Trump.” Got that? Hillary Clinton over Trump. Meanwhile, partisan affiliation aside, “it was cultural anxiety — feeling like a stranger in America, supporting the deportation of immigrants, and hesitating about educational investment — that best predicted support for Trump.”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

An unreal tragic story involving the death of an Iowa public college student

Just observing that the one and only story I've read about this doesn't show any link to immigration other than the fact that the victim was Spanish.  

13 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just observing that the one and only story I've read about this doesn't show any link to immigration other than the fact that the victim was Spanish.  

The point I was making was due to the opposing reactions. 

One story leads to right wingers wanting immigrants out of the country because "that's all immigrants do." This man kills an immigrant, and not a peep from those same right wingers.

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The point I was making was due to the opposing reactions. 

One story leads to right wingers wanting immigrants out of the country because "that's all immigrants do." This man kills an immigrant, and not a peep from those same right wingers.

You'd prefer it if they were running in the streets announcing that "We must ban all foreigners, so they don't get killed"?  :)

5 minutes ago, Larry said:

You'd prefer it if they were running in the streets announcing that "We must ban all foreigners, so they don't get killed"?  :)

That probably is the logical next step for some of them.

That story is unreal levels of tragedy though. I feel terrible for her, her family, and that school. I can't even imagine having that happen to your child who is just minding their business and some monster approaches and does that.

6 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

That probably is the logical next step for some of them.

That story is unreal levels of tragedy though. I feel terrible for her, her family, and that school. I can't even imagine having that happen to your child who is just minding their business and some monster approaches and does that.

Well, that does happen.  To all kinds of people.  In the US and elsewhere.  

6 minutes ago, visionary said:

Dang.  HuffPo is accusing the WaPo of, well, let's call it "fake news"?  (We all know that's what Trump is going to call it.)  

Hard to write that one off as right wing media attacking political opponents.