Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

2 hours ago, EBoz said:

None. I’m all for immigration when it’s done legally. I’m not for letting people who aren’t vetted just come into our country.

I'm down with that but the only solution then is to make legal immigration easier. I'm sure that most immigrants would prefer to be legal citizens... they just don't want to wait years or even decades. As there will always be people who are desperate enough to get themselves and their loved ones out of the situation that they are currently living in that they are willing to risk the consequences, there will always be illegal immigration.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I'm down with that but the only solution then is to make legal immigration easier. I'm sure that most immigrants would prefer to be legal citizens... they just don't want to wait years or even decades. As there will always be people who are desperate enough to get themselves and their loved ones out of the situation that they are currently living in that they are willing to risk the consequences, there will always be illegal immigration.

Agree totally. We don’t need to change the law but the immigration progress must be fixed. There is no reason for one to have to wait years to become a citizen. 

55 minutes ago, EBoz said:

Agree totally. We don’t need to change the law but the immigration progress must be fixed. There is no reason for one to have to wait years to become a citizen. 

There are lots of reasons to make someone wait for years to become a citizen. Essentially it's a probationary period. But in the interim they can go through the process of being a (legal) non-resident alien with right to work, then permanent legal resident alien (green card), and then citizenship.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

There are lots of reasons to make someone wait for years to become a citizen. Essentially it's a probationary period. But in the interim they can go through the process of being a (legal) non-resident alien with right to work, then permanent legal resident alien (green card), and then citizenship.

Word... I think that's what we all meant.

13 hours ago, twa said:

The only solution to crime is to make less things illegal.

Bookmarks this post, for use the next time somebody suggests that the solution for school shootings is more guns in the schools. 

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Bookmarks this post, for use the next time somebody suggests that the solution for school shootings is more guns in the schools. 

I was being facetious , but knock yourself out.

I've heard a lot of people saying it is bad or wrong to seek to reduce legal immigration levels. (I wonder if we are conflating "making it harder" with reduction?) According to a recent Harvard-Harris poll, a large majority of Americans of all political stripes and races are in favor of reducing legal immigration levels going forward. I'd have never thought that from what I see on the internet.

https://www.numbersusa.com/news/harvard-poll-81-percent-all-voters-support-reducing-immigration-levels

A new poll released by Harvard-Harris shows that a staggering percentage of voters on all ends of the political spectrum are overwhelmingly in favor of an immigration deal that would end Chain Migration, eliminate the Visa Lottery, and grant amnesty to DACA recipients.

According to the poll, 65% of voters would support a DACA deal that secures the Southern border, ends Chain Migration, and eliminates the Visa Lottery. A majority of voters from nearly every demographic group would support the deal, including 68% of Hispanic voters, 64% of African American voters, 64% of Democratic voters, 67% of all independent voters, 63% of liberal voters, and 68% of those who voted for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election cycle.

The poll also reveals that 60 percent of voters oppose giving preference to parents who illegally brought their children to the U.S. The Durbin-Graham no-strings DACA amnesty offered in the Senate would give amnesty to the parents.

The poll found that 81% of voters want to reduce legal immigration from its current level of more than 1 million per year, and 63% want it cut by at least half.

There is a link to the PDF of the raw results on the site.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, visionary said:

Interesting site though....

That's what I say when I read half of what's posted here. BUt yeah, I have never heard of it before. Looks like from what I've seen elsewhere (except a Salon article that stated roughly the same results and then said they didn't mean anything in reality), it is accurate on that poll.

Also apparently that was last updated in February.  But that aside, I think it’s safe to say that a lot of people are very uninformed on a number of issues and don’t always know what they are talking about or what they want.  That is one reason polls on things like this or foreign policy can drastically change depending on events or news that suddenly force people to either jump on a side in a topic or question some things they had assumed were much simpler.

For instance I doubt a lot of people who do not look into it or have experience with it understand much about the asylum, refugee, or even immigration processes. 

Here’s a more recent poll.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/16/628849355/immigration-poll-finds-deep-divide-over-trumps-agenda

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1