Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

14 hours ago, Jumbo said:

I understand why others will react negatively to it, but my hat's off to the members of the various faith communities that are starting a new underground railroad type of support for immigrants. That seems more like WWJD to me.

Yup agreed, I always remarked that it was sad that so many in the church don't associate the word sanctuary as a place of refuge as it had been historically. They also forget one of the oft repeated commands in the Bible that God's people are to love the stranger/sojourner/alien in their land, to which God added as a reminder, because THEY were once strangers/sojourners/aliens in Egypt. The disconnect there is so sad. The response I often got was "I don't abuse immigrants, but a country needs secure borders and limited immigration" as a cover to allow the government to abuse these immigrants even while our economy relies so heavily upon them. But then in the next breath they would stand up and proclaim America to be a Christian nation.

I got so tired of the nearly endless contradictions that it was finally time to step away from the organized church. I haven't stepped back into those doors in over three years. Watching churches like these remember their calling is refreshing, but all too rare.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

@AsburySkinsFan You know I hear ya, with my background.

A guy I waited tables with at Bennigan's in the early 90s had a saying on his tray, in Sharpie:  "The God I believe in is not short on cash."  That was a direct challenge to what I'd grown up thinking, and when I started to change. :) 

Yeah, I could fill a blog with my thoughts on it, but I got so frustrated by the tone deafness that exists. I knew it was there, but when I first returned from Guatemala it was more stark than ever. I got so tired of the notion that Jesus wasn't interested in all those things, and that the purpose of faith is that individualized personal relationship between the person and Jesus. Nothing else matters. Then the blending of nationalism, individualism, fear, and Rightwing's version of conservatism with little tolerance for a disruption of that echo-chamber created a perfect storm for me. I still remember my last Sunday sitting in church, it was the weekend before the 4th of July and I knew what was coming in the next week's service...so I didn't go back. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Then the blending of nationalism, individualism, fear, and Rightwing's version of conservatism with little tolerance for a disruption of that echo-chamber created a perfect storm for me

And greed, can't forget greed. I am always astounded whenever I see/hear these hucksters crowing about "God wants you to be rich, and to give me some of it"

• Like 4

14 hours ago, gbear said:

How are we really expecting sustained 3 percent growth in GDP with a declining work age population? Do people ever think what that would mean in their job or business? Imagine  being told you must make more this year and more again every year after...right after being told your hours are being cut...and your hours will be cut every year.  Maybe...If you can count on new tech to make your job easier, but the new tech better be exclusively yours or you will lose business to your competitors. Don't worry though because we are cutting education because new tech advancements don't come from studies.

We need more workers to at least offset some of the demographic losses we will see in coming years. 

Isn't that what industry has been doing for years? My company cuts people every year yet demands continue to climb. Do more with less has been the drumbeat for years

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Yup agreed, I always remarked that it was sad that so many in the church don't associate the word sanctuary as a place of refuge as it had been historically. They also forget one of the oft repeated commands in the Bible that God's people are to love the stranger/sojourner/alien in their land, to which God added as a reminder, because THEY were once strangers/sojourners/aliens in Egypt. The disconnect there is so sad. The response I often got was "I don't abuse immigrants, but a country needs secure borders and limited immigration" as a cover to allow the government to abuse these immigrants even while our economy relies so heavily upon them. But then in the next breath they would stand up and proclaim America to be a Christian nation.

I got so tired of the nearly endless contradictions that it was finally time to step away from the organized church. I haven't stepped back into those doors in over three years. Watching churches like these remember their calling is refreshing, but all too rare.

dam, that's deep.

i just figured the strip mall upped the rent too high or shut down.  :silly:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

Isn't that what industry has been doing for years? My company cuts people every year yet demands continue to climb. Do more with less has been the drumbeat for years

That's because the bean counters are in control, not real visionary leaders. It's pure laziness on their part to cut payroll rather than to decide to innovate and grow. There's a book called "Rich Dad Poor Dad" that talks about this very thing. Bean counters are a necessity, but they cannot replace leadership and those with business sense. The tool many of them have is a hammer so all the world looks like a nail.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

That's because the bean counters are in control, not real visionary leaders. It's pure laziness on their part to cut payroll rather than to decide to innovate and grow. There's a book called "Rich Dad Poor Dad" that talks about this very thing. Bean counters are a necessity, but they cannot replace leadership and those with business sense. The tool many of them have is a hammer so all the world looks like a nail.

Or, it is the evolution of business as technology allows fewer people to be more productive.  Think about this: computers allow the average worker today to do what used to take a week without computers. That's an 80% productivity increase in the last 30 years. If technology allows 1 worker to do what used to take 2, should the "bean counters" keep paying for 2?

You aren't posting while driving 80 are you?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Or, it is the evolution of business as technology allows fewer people to be more productive.  Think about this: computers allow the average worker today to do what used to take a week without computers. That's an 80% productivity increase in the last 30 years. If technology allows 1 worker to do what used to take 2, should the "bean counters" keep paying for 2?

You aren't posting while driving 80 are you?

Nah, working out of the office today.

As far as the content of your post is concerned, why cut people when you gain automation? That's the perfect time to grow into new areas and to expand the business as a whole. That's what requires vision and innovation, this requires leadership. Pure accounting doesn't grow companies it just makes the bottom line look better, and if that's the most important thing to a company then they're already dead...they just don't know it yet.

10 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Nah, working out of the office today.

As far as the content of your post is concerned, why cut people when you gain automation? That's the perfect time to grow into new areas and to expand the business as a whole. That's what requires vision and innovation, this requires leadership. Pure accounting doesn't grow companies it just makes the bottom line look better, and if that's the most important thing to a company then they're already dead...they just don't know it yet.

Technology isn't limited to automation...

And you have to be really foolish to think that every business can/needs to expand into new areas. First, there has to be demand for the new service (outside of select behemoths who can afford to try to create new service categories). Second, the company has to have the ability/capability to provide the new service. Third, the company either has to have the capital to pursue the new service or access to borrowed capital without taking on too much debt. And fourth, the company has to want to expand.

To claim it is as simple as "grow into new areas and to expand the business as a whole" is laughable.

Edited by Popeman38
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

Technology isn't limited to automation...

And you have to be really foolish to think that every business can/needs to expand into new areas. First, there has to be demand for the new service (outside of select behemoths who can afford to try to create new service categories). Second, the company has to have the ability/capability to provide the new service. Third, the company either has to have the capital to pursue the new service or access to borrowed capital without taking on too much debt. And fourth, the company has to want to expand.

To claim it is as simple as "grow into new areas and to expand the business as a whole" is laughable.

All of the excuses 1, 2, and 3 except "want" are just that, excuses. If a company has the desire then there isn't much to stop them. This is how multi-nationals are born. And a company doesn't have to have the capital. That's poor thinking, "I can't afford that." Rather than saying "How can I afford that?" The former shuts down thinking and creativity, the latter encourages it. Because you think it's laughable is why you won't see the growth potential  and opportunities that sit all around us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

All of the excuses 1, 2, and 3 except "want" are just that, excuses. If a company has the desire then there isn't much to stop them. This is how multi-nationals are born. And a company doesn't have to have the capital. That's poor thinking, "I can't afford that." Rather than saying "How can I afford that?" The former shuts down thinking and creativity, the latter encourages it. Because you think it's laughable is why you won't see the growth potential  and opportunities that sit all around us.

So basically you know better than the market, got it. I listed market reasons for a company NOT to expand. You respond with Econ textbookese. 

2 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

So basically you know better than the market, got it. I listed market reasons for a company NOT to expand. You respond with Econ textbookese. 

You listed excuses companies with no vision or leadership offer for not expanding. I mentor with a couple different master-mind groups and they all teach the same things. "When things are good, then it's good. When things are bad then it's GREAT!" When everyone pulls back that's when you push forward. Acquire assets and grow. Everyone else waits for the market to improve before moving (buying high), successful visionary people take advantage of crappy markets (buying low). Why would you cut quality staff when you can use them to go in new directions? You've already invested in them as employees why train your competition's work force?

• Like 1