Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's All Get to Know Dustin Hopkins...

Dan T.

...because, by God, it looks like he's the real deal and may stick around longer than a month or two as the Redskins kicker. Between Hopkins, age 25, and Tress Way, also 25, the Redskins could finally have stability in the kicking game for the next decade.

He's already hit two long, pressure-packed field goals and is consistently putting kickoffs deep into the end zone. He's 10 for 11 on FGs. His one miss was a 53 yarder in the 3rd quarter of the Falcons game that had the distance but was wide right.  He's hit all 9 extra points.

Hopkins celebrated his 25th birthday on October 1.  He was born in Austin, Texas, but grew up in the Houston area and graduated from Clear Lake High School there with a better than 4.0 GPA.  He was the team's kicker and also started as a defensive back at Clear Lake. He was a two time Texas 5A All-State selection and a USA Today first team All-American.  He turned down an offers from Notre Dame, Missouri, and Kansas State to attend Florida State.

As a freshman at FSU, he kicked a 55 yard field goal against Clemson with :03 seconds left to give the Seminoles a 16-13 win.  During his college career, he had a streak of 145 PATs in a row, an FSU record and the 6th longest in NCAA history.  He ended his college career with 448 points, an NCAA record for career points for a kicker. His 88 career field goals was also an NCAA record.

He was one of a school record 11 FSU Seminoles taken in the 2013 NFL draft, chosen by the Buffalo Bills in the 6th round.  He beat out Ryan Lindell for the Bills' job, but injured his groin at the start of the season and was eventually placed on IR as the Bills went with Dan Carpenter.  Carpenter beat him out in 2014 and he was released in August 2014.  The Saints signed him to their practice squad in December 2014. 

The Saints released him on September 5, 2015, losing out to Zach Hocker.  The Redskins signed him on September 14, the start of a beautiful and - with any luck - long relationship.

dustin_hopkins_rams_615_255.JPG

I have to say, the kicking game, and special teams in general has been much improved this year.

Skins already have a KR, and blocked punt this year.

I am in 100% agreement with you.  This Hopkins kid is going to stick around for a long time.  He can kick it out of the end zone on kickoffs, and was it just me or did that long field goal he kicked yesterday look like it would have been good from 60 yards?

He just boots it right down the middle with very little effort.

Wishing him to keep on with this pace so he can last long.

Sadly we have a history of having young keepers that starts strong and are run out of town quickly after a short streak of misses... (Kai beat the record for longest FG streak to start a career).

Guy is good so far, but I fear our fanbase to turn hard on him if he miss a chipshot 20 yards for any reasons that cost us a game and prevents us from going up to 5 wins this year.

On a side note, the last great P we had here was not resigned and let go through FA... (Reggie Roby IIRC)

Let's not fumble with those two.

It's all about the mind game. If he can keep his pysche stable, he's got the physical game.

I said in kicking thread that the power of his FGs are impressive. A few shorter ones that seemed off mark had such velocity that they passed through uprights before going wide.

Very happy with this gem (if his mind can stay right). Way on the other hand had been much more erratic and less consistent this year. Not thrilled with all of Tress' games this year

Danny Smith was with us from 2004 to 2012. During that time, we threw out Suisham, Gano, Novak, and endured others being worse than mediocre. With him gone, Forbath was the most reliable kicker we've had in a while, and now Hopkins appears to be quite promising. Just by not having Danny Smith, I believe Hopkins' chance of sticking longterm is quite hopeful.

Archived