Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

Your whole stance on this issue is now pathetic. 

Certainly elicits a response.

I realize that this type of incident isn't the norm.  But man if it doesn't make me sad that someone has pointlessly lost their life.  Makes me sad that the person who shot this kid has had his life ruined.  Simply because there was no care taken.

The story is incomplete. Either he didn’t simply knock on the wrong door or the guy wasn’t  just trying to protect his family. 

It reeks of grab her leg, or on his knees with his hands up saying don’t shoot. In either direction.  The story, if we can call that article that, is fantastical.

your ascribing him to team gun and declaring him a good guy with a gun is nonsense. You’ve been dabbling in the nonsense for a few pages now. Just tired of it. But please, continue. 

Edited by tshile

41 minutes ago, Springfield said:

This goes without saying, but it seems to typically be scared white people shooting POC.  Far from statistical evidence, but every story I read like this involves an unarmed black man getting killed by a white man who "feared for his life".

It's either that or the antithesis of the scared white man with a gun, the "I wish a mother****er would" white man with a gun.  Can we just ban these types of people from owning guns?

Does he look white to you?

Darryl Bynes, 32, was booked at the Fulton County Jail. He is facing murder charges over the fatal shooting of 19-year-old Omarian Banks.

Edited by twa

In one of the strongest judicial statements in favor of the Second Amendment to date, Judge Roger T. Benitez of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California determined on Friday that California’s ban on commonly possessed firearm magazines violates the Second Amendment.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190329/breaking-federal-court-finds-california-magazine-ban-violates-the-second-amendment

• Like 1

For the most part, I support red flag laws.  I do consider the idea of gun "sanctuary" cities to be interesting from a moral and a legal stance.  

I also think it highlights the issues toward eliminating the Electoral College just on a smaller scale.  That may be for another thread though. 

Either way, interesting. 

So, after every headline shooting, the response is "no gun laws will be allowed. This person had red flags. They should have taken away his guns."

Try to pass a law to do that. "You can't take guns away from people with red flags. Every Republican sheriff in the state will refuse to enforce the law. Ever."

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

So, after every headline shooting, the response is "no gun laws will be allowed. This person had red flags. They should have taken away his guns."

Try to pass a law to do that. "You can't take guns away from people with red flags. Every Republican sheriff in the state will refuse to enforce the law. Ever."

Sounds kinda like immigration laws when ya put it  like that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, twa said:

Sounds kinda like immigration laws when ya put it  like that.

If you pretend the stuff the GOP is telling you is true.

Well I mean, the half the time they're telling you that all the democrats want is illegals pouring over the border. Not the half when they tell you that any horrible thing Trump did was also done by Obama or that democrats were all gung-ho on a wall and orphaned brown kids but only oppose it now to obstruct Trump.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

People Kill People. But the Bullets Seem to Matter.

In Boston from 2010 to 2015, there were 221 gun homicides.

Research suggests that one change could have lowered that number by 40 percent: smaller bullets.

A study last year, published in JAMA Network Open, examined the type of weapon used in every fatal and nonfatal shooting in the city. It found that — regardless of the time of day, the number of wounds or the circumstances of the crime — the size of the bullet affected which gunshot victims lived and which ones died.

At the center of the debate about gun control lies the question of whether the availability of deadly weapons increases the seriousness of crime. Critics of gun control contend it doesn’t. As the popular bumper sticker argues: “Guns don’t kill people. People kill people.” The study set out to test that slogan -- and found it wanting.

“The type of weapon matters,” said Philip Cook, an emeritus professor of public policy at Duke University, and one of the study’s co-authors.

If all the shooters in Boston had used the types of guns in circulation with the biggest bullets, the homicide rate could have been 43 percent higher, the researchers calculated recently, even with the same people committing exactly the same crimes.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thanks 2

So these are the people who are carrying handguns, the people too stupid to realize you're not supposed to bring them on a plane.  

giphy.gif

A record 4,239 guns were seized at U.S. airports last year. Most were loaded.

A record number of firearms were discovered at U.S. airport checkpoints last year, with more than 4,200 guns found at 249 airports nationwide, according to new government data. More than 86 percent of the guns found were loaded, according to the Transport Security Administration (TSA).

The airports that saw the most firearms discovered sit along the Sun Belt, from Atlanta to Arizona, in states with looser gun laws, reports CBS News correspondent Kris Van Cleave. CBS News dug through thousands of police records trying to understand why this problem continues to grow. Our investigation found while thousands of guns are spotted by TSA screeners, some appear to be getting through.

At Dallas-Forth Worth airport alone, guns were found in carry-on bags 219 times last year. Nationally, it happened nearly 12 times per day, with the passengers almost always saying it was a mistake.

The 4,239 guns stopped at TSA checkpoints last year is a 7-percent increase over 2017. Ten airports accounted for nearly a third of all the cases. Atlanta had the most, with 298 firearms found in carry-on bags.

Asked why he thinks the numbers are growing each year, TSA Administrator David Pekoske said: "I'm just going to guess here; I think more people are just simply carrying weapons in the country and we reflect what we're seeing around the country." 

Click on the link for the full article and video

Wanna know something that's scarier than that?  I remember reading that the TSA regularly has people try to sneak weapons, or fake weapons, onto airplanes. To test security. 

And TSA actually catches like one weapon out of 20. 

Just wondering, about the two drunks, above:

1). What (if anything) should they be charged with?

2). And should they be allowed to own guns, after this?  If not, then they should lose that right based on what specific "trigger"?

• Haha 1