Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

More responsible gun owners:

Phoenix police: Man dies after reported accidental shooting

PHOENIX (AP) — Phoenix police say detectives are investigating the death of a 46-year-old man in what was reported to be an accidental shooting.

Sgt. Tommy Thompson says Pablo Tinoco died at a hospital after he was shot in a leg Friday night.

Thompson says Tinoco was among several people who were drinking and handling a gun in a residence when it discharged.

Click on the link for the full article

What happened in New Zealand is such a shame. I don't personally care for Islam, but to target a group like that is so horrific and disgusting.

Right now it is right versus left. The debate is highly focused on guns being the issue. Libs feel the pain of many people and defenseless children who die each year. They might not see a need or know much about guns and see them as evil.

The other side values the personal right of having firearms. We are tired of seeing those rights diminishing every year. Some might feel that giving away that right to an inefficient government could lead to more reliance on the government and an erosion of personal freedom.

The debate needs to be more on the physcological issues. What kind of mental state does a person get to where it's OK to take a gun, go into a mosque, and obliterate defenseless and peaceful people? How do you get to a point where you take a truck and runover a hundred people? Or take bombs to a building to cause loss of life. Why are the bulk of gun related deaths in the US suicides?

Correctly answering these questions pertaining to the state of the human mind gets to the root of the problem. 

This is a more difficult question to answer than imposing gun control. It is unfortunate that we lack the leadership, media presence, and personal responsibility as a society to focus on the correct issue. 

On 3/21/2019 at 8:54 AM, Springfield said:

Ok a question for the gun nuts of the thread.  A serious one.  Ok, mainly for @TheGreatBuzz or even @tshile cause you two are reasonable...

In your opinion, if the AWB hadn’t expired in 2004, would Newtown (the one where the first graders got shot up) have happened?  Further, do you think that ANY of these mass murders in the US, such as Las Vegas, could have been prevented or mitigated?

I was watching a Joe Rogan podcast where the guest said that in nearly every major shooting there has been a person there who could have done something. Concealed carriers and the like. 

Unfortunately most of these high murder killing sprees occur in no gun zones. 

That's not to say it would have mattered but there definitely was potential for someone to stop or limit the carnage at the very least. And there are plenty of cases yearly where the good guy with a gun does prevent loss of life. 

Edited by sportjunkie07

16 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I was watching a Joe Rogan podcast where the guest said that in nearly every major shooting there has been a person there who could have done something. Concealed carriers and the like. 

Unfortunately most of these high murder killing sprees occur in no gun zones. 

That's not to say it would have mattered but there definitely was potential for someone to stop or limit the carnage at the very least. And there are plenty of cases yearly where the good guy with a gun does prevent loss of life. 

It's because they pick soft targets.  Just because they are no carry zones doesn't mean that they should invite people to carry in them.

Bars for example.  I don't want to get shift faced drunk next to some 22 year old who can't hold their liquor that's strapped.  Just, no.  Planes.  I don't want everyone who's flying to be holding.  Schools.  Just, no.  Doctors offices, churches, sporting events, movie theaters.

It shouldn't be mandatory to carry a weapon with you everywhere you go in order to live in this country.

Also, there are cases where the good guy with a gun gets murdered in the confusion.  You know, the black people who carry and are trying to help because heaven forbid we let black people carry guns in this country.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/26/us/black-man-killed-alabama-mall-shooting.html

On Thanksgiving night, the sounds of gunshots inside an Alabama mall sent shoppers diving for cover and sprinting for exits. Outside the mall, Emantic Fitzgerald Bradford Jr. pulled out a gun and rushed to protect shoppers, his family said.

But Mr. Bradford was soon dead. An off-duty police officer working security at the mall, Riverchase Galleria in Hoover, Ala., fatally shot him, the authorities said. In the days that followed, the official account by the Hoover Police Department of what happened inside and outside the mall has shifted drastically.

At first, the officer was praised for stopping a gunman after two people were shot outside a Footaction store on the second floor. Then the police said that Mr. Bradford was not in fact the gunman and that the true gunman remained on the loose.

50 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Also, there are cases where the good guy with a gun gets murdered in the confusion.

Anyone have the numbers on that occurring so we can compare to numbers of police getting killed by friendly fire?

Sticking you neck out certainly comes with a risk.

6 minutes ago, twa said:

Anyone have the numbers on that occurring so we can compare to numbers of police getting killed by friendly fire?

Sticking you neck out certainly comes with a risk.

I don't have statistics and I'm too lazy to look them up.  I think that the good guy with a gun argument is largely anecdotal so it's hard to have an honest discussion about it.  I talk to my friends who conceal carry about it sometimes.  "Say you're in the 7-11 and the guy in line in front of you pulls a gun on the cashier and has it in his face.  Are you gonna pull your gun out and risk the life of the cashier?"

The amount of confusion when there's a gun involved, gets amplified when there are multiple guns involved, especially to the police who are reacting.

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I don't have statistics and I'm too lazy to look them up.  I think that the good guy with a gun argument is largely anecdotal so it's hard to have an honest discussion about it.  I talk to my friends who conceal carry about it sometimes.  "Say you're in the 7-11 and the guy in line in front of you pulls a gun on the cashier and has it in his face.  Are you gonna pull your gun out and risk the life of the cashier?"

The amount of confusion when there's a gun involved, gets amplified when there are multiple guns involved, especially to the police who are reacting.

certainly there is confusion, and fear,adrenaline issues ect and armed citizens or plainclothes/off duty armed people at the scene complicate it for responders.

As to your hypothetical I would ask....are you going to leave your weapon holstered as he shoots the cashier and then turns it on you or others?

Does your choice change if your wife or child is beside you?

Do you hope for the best and accept fate?...or try to change it

my opinion is all your lives are at risk and you make the best choice you can in a fluid situation imposed on you by someone with a disregard for others lives(and perhaps their own).....disarming people limits their choices

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

What happened in New Zealand is such a shame. I don't personally care for scary brown boogeyman, but to target a group like that is so horrific and disgusting.

Fixed. Sorry I don't personally care for Christians. If you have a cure for bi-polar disorder, paranoid scizophrenia (sp?) , ptsd, or just people that were straight up born sociopaths let's here it. 

Luckily, more and more Americans are becoming wise to the very poorly disguised diversion tactics you have attempted to present. While innocent people are being slaughtered, you're talking about "left vs right". You should be utterly ashamed.  

Edited by Berggy9598

1 hour ago, Berggy9598 said:

Fixed. Sorry I don't personally care for Christians. If you have a cure for bi-polar disorder, paranoid scizophrenia (sp?) , ptsd, or just people that were straight up born sociopaths let's here it. 

Luckily, more and more Americans are becoming wise to the very poorly disguised diversion tactics you have attempted to present. While innocent people are being slaughtered, you're talking about "left vs right". You should be utterly ashamed.  

What are you talking about dude?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

He needs to leave my thread.  It's about debating gun control.............

The post was about gun control oh thread master. A small part of the response was to the “not a fan of Islam” comment which is on topic how? He gotta leave “your” thread too? 

Arby’s manager accused of killing customer after altercation at Oklahoma restaurant

TULSA, Okla. – An Oklahoma Arby’s manager is accused of shooting a customer to death after he spit on and threatened her, according to Tulsa police.

Sgt. Shane Tuell told the Associated Press that the manager, Deionna Young, reported a drive-thru customer being abusive and cursing. That man, identified as Desean Tallent, spit in her face and said he would come back to hurt her, police say.

When Tallent returned to the Arby’s about an hour later and began circling the parking lot, Young allegedly ran outside and got into her car.

“She followed him down Garnett [with] both vehicles braking and playing cat and mouse,” police said in a statement. “She shot at Tallent and then drove back to work.”

An off-duty Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office deputy found Tallent inside a black SUV that appeared to have crashed into the front of a nearby Walmart. Tallent, who had been shot, was taken to a local hospital where he died shortly after.

Click on the link for the full article

On 3/24/2019 at 7:51 AM, sportjunkie07 said:

The other side values the personal right of having firearms. We are tired of seeing those rights diminishing every year.

Gun rights have been expanding since the AWB ended. 

Even Obama expanded gun rights during his term. 

Many of the control-nut-cities have had their strict laws struck down in court over the last 6 or so years. 

As someone (me) who supports gun rights, I’d like to know where you get this idea that they’ve been diminishing every year?

because it’s not true. 

I realize the NRA talking point people say stuff like that. Unfortunately that doesn’t make it true. 

On 3/24/2019 at 8:38 AM, Springfield said:

Also, there are cases where the good guy with a gun gets murdered in the confusion. 

Its an accepted risk. 

As is walking around without a gun in a day where people randomly shoot places up. 

You get to pick. It’s on you. 

Edited by tshile

On 3/24/2019 at 8:38 AM, Springfield said:

I don't want to get shift faced drunk next to some 22 year old who can't hold their liquor that's strapped.

Is there a state where it’s legal to be intoxicated while carrying a gun? In public?

i don’t believe so but I could be wrong. 

Your concern exists right now. The only thing stopping it is a law people may or may not follow. 

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

Is there a state where it’s legal to be intoxicated while carrying a gun? In public?

Your concern exists right now. The only thing stopping it is a law people may or may not follow. 

This was a few days ago, but I think I was replying about people shooting up “gun free zones”.  They’re soft targets so naturally they’re more likely to be shot up.  Like a bar.  If you wanted to murder a rack of people, walk into a gay nightclub in Miami on a Saturday night.  No good guy with a gun there.

I think that we shouldn’t have to be reliant on a good guy with a gun to be hero.

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Pretty sure it's illegal just about everywhere to conceal carry while intoxicated.  

wiaradc65cp21.jpg

https://abc13.com/19-year-old-shot-and-killed-after-knocking-on-wrong-door-/5226313/

ATLANTA, Georgia (KTRK) -- A teen was shot and killed days after moving into his apartment after authorities say he knocked on the wrong door. 

Darryl Bynes, 32, is charged in the killing of 19-year-old Omarian Banks.

Police say Banks had just been dropped off by a Lyft when he called his girlfriend to let her know that he was returning home. 

Police say Bynes shot the teen from his balcony as he was coming down the stairs, trying to get away. 

"He pleaded for his life. He was like, 'Hold on, I am sorry, I am sorry' and the dude shot him," a witness said. 

One of Bynes' family members says he shot the teen in self-defense. 

"He has five kids, he was literally protecting his family. His truck was stolen earlier this week. Right now, that's all they're trying to do is protect their family," Makayla Johnson said.

Here’s your “good guy with a gun”.  Way to go team gun!

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Here’s your “good guy with a gun”.  Way to go team gun!

It's one anecdotal story of a murder.  You think that proves something?  Does one actual "good guy with a gun" story then prove the opposite?

Edited by TheGreatBuzz

27 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

It's one anecdotal story of a murder.  You think that proves something?  Does one actual "good guy with a gun" story then prove the opposite?

Nah man.  You should know me better than ACTUALLY trying to play "gotcha".  It's a shame that this poor kid's life is over.

More, I think that this particular incident illustrates how unprepared for an "incident" involving a gun that some gun owners are.  Particularly the scared ones, such as this guy, or the officer who shot Philando Castille (sp?) come to mind.  It's a shame that people (usually black men) lose their lives like this.  This goes without saying, but it seems to typically be scared white people shooting POC.  Far from statistical evidence, but every story I read like this involves an unarmed black man getting killed by a white man who "feared for his life".

It's either that or the antithesis of the scared white man with a gun, the "I wish a mother****er would" white man with a gun.  Can we just ban these types of people from owning guns?