Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bands with the biggest hits and misses

Spaceman Spiff

I was listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers the other day on Apple Music.  If you don't have Apple Music, I highly reccomend it.  For 10 bucks a month it's a pretty good deal.

Anyway, they have a playlist called "Red Hot Chili Peppers:  Deep Cuts" which I played because I knew some of the songs but wasn't as familiar with some of the others.  As I was driving along it occurred to me that RHCP might have the biggest disparity between songs I really love and songs I absolutely hate. 

What band can you say the same for?

Linkin Park

I think this is a good one.

Only issue is that I liked their first album, a little bit of their second album and then they just fell off. I didn't like them sporadically, I like LP's early stuff and then hated what they became.

Same goes for many musicians.

I wonder if a band like Nirvana would have ended up like that if Kurt Cobain hadn't taken his own life. Their first album was legendary, second album was OK, the unplugged was pretty good.

This whole post made me think more about the subject.

My final answer: FOO FIGHTERS

Beastie Boys: Sabotage/Girls. There are a couple songs of theirs I like better than Sabotage. I like girls, but the song Girls just annoys the crap out of me. I guess so do real girls. Whatever.

Green Day: When I Come Around/September ends. "Wake me up, when this song ends". It was "Hey There Delilah" before "Hey There Delilah". Same sad, disgusting feeling every time I'd here it. Die, song.

I don't even like the face song.

Me neither. Think it could be good if someone else performed it. Like Michael Jackson would've most likely monstered it.

Beastie Boys: Sabotage/Girls. There are a couple songs of theirs I like better than Sabotage. I like girls, but the song Girls just annoys the crap out of me. I guess so do real girls. Whatever.

Green Day: When I Come Around/September ends. "Wake me up, when this song ends". It was "Hey There Delilah" before "Hey There Delilah". Same sad, disgusting feeling every time I'd here it. Die, song.

Me neither. Think it could be good if someone else performed it. Like Michael Jackson would've most likely monstered it.

What? The Weeknd's voice is magical. He can't dance dough.

The Weeknd got the hit of the summer with "Can't Feel My Face".  It should be up for song of the year at the Grammys, but Taylor Swift will crush those awards probably.  That's my favorite song of the moment.  I kind of caught on to it late, since I don't really listen to urban radio anymore, so I know others are probably sick of that song by now.

Biggest Hits & Misses in my opinion:

Jay-Z-Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint & The Black Album (Hits)

Volume 2, Magna Carter (Misses, WTF was he thinking with that album?)

Nas - Illmatic, It Was Written, Stillmatic, God's Son, Life Is Good (Hits)

Nastradamus (Huge Miss)

Kanye West - College Dropout, Graduation, Late Registration, MDTF (Hits)

808's, Yeezus (Misses)

Jay-Z has pretty much sucked or been very lame post Black Album but that Empire State of Mind song has him firmly placed in the mainstream among non-true rap fans.

But Reasonable Doubt, LTSC V2, Blueprint = Gold. Reasonable Doubt being the #1 easy.

Crazy how The Weeknd had the song of the summer and it's about cocaine...a lot of folks don't even realize this LOL. 

Classic rock bands made entire careers singing about cocaine and heroine so it's not too much of a surprise.

Jay-Z has pretty much sucked or been very lame post Black Album but that Empire State of Mind song has him firmly placed in the mainstream among non-true rap fans.

But Reasonable Doubt, LTSC V2, Blueprint = Gold. Reasonable Doubt being the #1 easy.

Classic rock bands made entire careers singing about cocaine and heroine so it's not too much of a surprise.

GREAT call on Jay-Z (though not a band).  Everything since the Black Album has been "meh."  Few good cuts here and there....but nothing that's really going to stand the test of time. 

And to your point about rock bands doing the same...I know this.  I'm just saying he has everyone from teens to adults singing his lyrics and they have no idea as to what the actual meaning behind the song is. 

I think this is a good one.

Only issue is that I liked their first album, a little bit of their second album and then they just fell off. I didn't like them sporadically, I like LP's early stuff and then hated what they became.

Same goes for many musicians.

I could be mistaken but LP had to alter their sound because of Chester's throat issues. Couldn't bang out those screamers anymore. I love most of their stuff though but clearly the first 3 albums are far superior to recent stuff.

GREAT call on Jay-Z (though not a band). Everything since the Black Album has been "meh." Few good cuts here and there....but nothing that's really going to stand the test of time.

And to your point about rock bands doing the same...I know this. I'm just saying he has everyone from teens to adults singing his lyrics and they have no idea as to what the actual meaning behind the song is.

Blueprint 3 and Watch the Throne were great

The Weeknd.

Really love = I can't feel my face

Really hate = pretty much everything else

You don't like Hills, Often, Aquainted, Prisoner, Wicked Games, The Morning or even Earned It?

All fantastic. Even his non hits are still enjoyable and high quality

Archived